Official P&b Cycling Thread

Cycled to work for the last eight years, 14 miles a day, rain hail and sometimes snow.

Packed it in about 6 months ago no more aches and pains, no more frozen fingers, no more bugs in my mouth, no more Lycra, no more risk of being crushed by stupid car/lorry/bus drivers, never felt better. :)

I've been doing the monthly Strava challenge which was to cycle 16 hours in 8 days.

I've done around 13 hours already - over 140 miles since Sunday and I'm almost at 400km for May.

Road bike making a major major difference.

Cycled to work for the last eight years, 14 miles a day, rain hail and sometimes snow.

Packed it in about 6 months ago no more aches and pains, no more frozen fingers, no more bugs in my mouth, no more Lycra, no more risk of being crushed by stupid car/lorry/bus drivers, never felt better. :)

But you come onto the PnB cycling thread - missing it, X?

Went out today. Not been out in about 2 weeks as I've been drinking and eating like crap on my hols. Still got a few pbs and after that agonising 20 mins of feeling stiff and sore I felt great. Having a tailwinds awesome. I was taking it easy today as to get back into it. Looking at getting a new bike soon. Was looking at this which seems nuts for its price. Full Ultegra 11 speed groupset.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULT6800/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-6800-road-bike

I know it was the muckletoon festival at Langholm at the weekend, just wondered what the numbers were like with the solway sportive and a duathlon at Newton Stewart on the same weekend. Three events in D&G in the one weekend, if only every weekend was like that. I do a bit of mountain biking and fancied giving the saturday event a go but i was down to work saturday so that was a no go and i've not really done a lot of miles on my road bike this year so i gave sunday a miss as well.

For years I've driven past the start of the cycle path at Dalwhinnie and thought about doing it. Today, on the spur of the moment, I drove up to Pitlochry, jumped on a train to Dalwhinnie with the bike and cycled the 30 miles or so back to Pitlochry. Great fun and some stunning views.

I completed my 16 hours in 8 days challenge with a 40 mile jaunt which took in: Kilmarnock - Tarbolton - Annbank - Ayr - Prestwick (how bad is the cycle route through Prestwick?) - Troon - Irvine - Kilmarnock.

I completed my 16 hours in 8 days challenge with a 40 mile jaunt which took in: Kilmarnock - Tarbolton - Annbank - Ayr - Prestwick (how bad is the cycle route through Prestwick?) - Troon - Irvine - Kilmarnock.

Sounds good, Dindeleux! Did you enjoy the climb up to Tarbolton past the Craigie quarry? Tester!

I actually didn't go that way, I took the other road out of Shortlees/Bellfield that takes you over the bypass instead of under it for what I thought was a longer but less hilly route.

I was wrong, and by the time I could see Tarbolton my legs were burning.

ETA - I have cycled over the Craigie Quarry hill before though and it's quite tough. It's almost a straight climb from my house to the end of Shortlees and then straight onto Craigiehill.

Edited by Dindeleux

• 2 weeks later...

100 miles yesterday :o up to Crieff and then back over Dunning Common climb :( , over to Saline then home over the Clacks bridge.

Seven hours in the saddle and suffering today. Training ride for two mates who are doing Lands End to J O'Groats in August. Rather them than me!

A wee thirty-odd mile jaunt to Girvan and back, going one road, back another today. A familiar run for me and nice before the rain came on.

But I wanted to talk about last Sunday. One of my sons and I cycled from his house in Paisley, down to Greenock, over to Largs and back to Paisley. I'm looking for your respect: is there a cyclable steeper hill than the climb up past Whinhill Golf Club in Greenock, anywhere? And plaudits, please, for the ascent of the Hayley Brae - fortunately we were near the top before a monsoon opened.