Official P&b Cycling Thread

Hoping to get back on the saddle to work tomorrow.

I picked up sinusitis just before coming home from holiday (not fun when flying, I assure you) so haven't cycled in nearly a month. It's bloody annoying when the heart wants ride, but the head says it'll about kill you.

What sort of pace do you run at when out solo UTN ?

Depends on weather conditions, terrain and distance.

A few weeks ago I did the club 10 mile time trial in 25 minutes 20 seconds, so averaged 23.68 mph, which is almost the same speed as I averaged for the 21 mile APR, so it shows you how much cycling in a group can help ,although the APR weather was almost perfect

If I go out on a long run solo ( 50 miles plus), I'd say I'll average around 18-19 mph, but again with group this would rise to around 21-22.5mph

What a great morning for a cycle today

Yeah cycling wise things going great, The arrangements are kinda like you we're staying at heathrow and driving to a carpark at Carington street. Which again is like you pretty much same from start to finish.

Friday we'll do the same. How are you getting the bike down are you driving?? Thankfully my work are transporting mines down.

Yep, just driving down, will fit the bike in the back of the car rather than put it on the roof rails - not sure it would do it much good being battered by flies for 450 miles down to London.

I found this article when researching if you could sneak into other start zones etc - gives a good account of what to expect from start to finish:

http://www.cyclosport.org/07-Aug-2013/event-reviews/prudential-ridelondon-review.html

Cracking day for cycling today, save for the short sharp shower that caught me 5 minutes before arriving at work.

Took one of my detour routes home and chalked up 11 miles, so 14 in all for the day. My arse isn't half sore now though (and I've got saddle-ache...before anyone else says it :P).

After posting my thoughts on another thread concerning what I believed to be the significant majority of other road users respecting cyclists, I was nearly wiped out by a large yellow Highway Maintenance truck this morning en route to work.

It seems cyclists aren't permitted to move out to pass vehicles parked on the road, even if they indicate their intention to do so in good time and very clearly. My mistake....

Edited by Drooper

I have just downloaded Strava onto my I Pad to record my cycles etc as I don't have an I Phone etc (works BB).

It means that I have to carry it in a rucksack to record my cycles but it is really good and adds more than I get from my trip computer on the bike.

Just thought I would let you know like.

I have just downloaded Strava onto my I Pad to record my cycles etc as I don't have an I Phone etc (works BB).

It means that I have to carry it in a rucksack to record my cycles but it is really good and adds more than I get from my trip computer on the bike.

Just thought I would let you know like.

I can't doing with a backpack while I'm cycling. Gets on my tits (maybe I should tighten the straps....). In saying that, I usually have to stick one on when I commute into work, because I am no longer organised enough to have a change of clothes waiting for me when I arrive.

Why not go on ebay and buy a second hand smartphone for £30 and load the app onto that?

Just back from a random trip to this new 'Decathlon' shop at Braehead. Never really been much of a cyclist but having a wee look into buying one now to save a bit of cash on transport long term.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-black-id_8239801.html

Is that a good deal or is the guy in the shop talking out his arse?

Just tuning my gears (code for fucking them up) using my Lidl bike stand I got last summer. Brilliant bit of kit. Think my chain set just about needs replacing. Training hard for the Corsican Raid at the end of September. 43 miles home from work tonight - over Kinnoul Hill - that doesn't get any easier. Still a beautiful night for a cycle. I've decided not to upgrade my bike stuff until it falls apart. I honestly can't see how Di2 or a 100g here or there can make much difference versus a couple of extra hard training runs.

FWIW I'm on a Focus Cayo. I think it's a brilliant bike. They don't spend quite as much on sponsorship and marketing and - so they say - that's how the bikes tend to be cheaper - better value they say - and I have to concur. It's a triple for which I get quite a bit of abuse from my buddies but I love it. It's basically 105 components but I changed the front end from a 105 50/39/30 to an Ultegra so I could get a 52/39/30 plus longer cranks at 170mm. The rear cassette was 13-27 but I've changed that to a 12-28. The changes were after parts had worn out but I figured if you have a triple you might as well have a but more leeway at the top and bottom and it worked well. It came with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels which are decent but heavyish - I changed them to Mavic Kyserium Elites. Light and very, very strong. However they have bladed spokes and despite what some will tell you if you hit the wrong cross wind it can be fucking scary. I almost bought it last summer doing 40+ MPH coming down the Lecht. I will never buy bladed spoke wheels again. Finally Continental GP 4000 s tyres, 23mm. I think they're the dogs bollocks. Anyway something like 12,000 miles on the clock and it's still a great bike. If there's anyone still reading this until the end - cheers!!post-17349-14062323902124_thumb.jpg

Just tuning my gears (code for fucking them up) using my Lidl bike stand I got last summer. Brilliant bit of kit. Think my chain set just about needs replacing. Training hard for the Corsican Raid at the end of September. 43 miles home from work tonight - over Kinnoul Hill - that doesn't get any easier. Still a beautiful night for a cycle. I've decided not to upgrade my bike stuff until it falls apart. I honestly can't see how Di2 or a 100g here or there can make much difference versus a couple of extra hard training runs.

FWIW I'm on a Focus Cayo. I think it's a brilliant bike. They don't spend quite as much on sponsorship and marketing and - so they say - that's how the bikes tend to be cheaper - better value they say - and I have to concur. It's a triple for which I get quite a bit of abuse from my buddies but I love it. It's basically 105 components but I changed the front end from a 105 50/39/30 to an Ultegra so I could get a 52/39/30 plus longer cranks at 170mm. The rear cassette was 13-27 but I've changed that to a 12-28. The changes were after parts had worn out but I figured if you have a triple you might as well have a but more leeway at the top and bottom and it worked well. It came with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels which are decent but heavyish - I changed them to Mavic Kyserium Elites. Light and very, very strong. However they have bladed spokes and despite what some will tell you if you hit the wrong cross wind it can be fucking scary. I almost bought it last summer doing 40+ MPH coming down the Lecht. I will never buy bladed spoke wheels again. Finally Continental GP 4000 s tyres, 23mm. I think they're the dogs bollocks. Anyway something like 12,000 miles on the clock and it's still a great bike. If there's anyone still reading this until the end - cheers!!attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1406232388.297444.jpg

Nice set-up.

I think UtN had/has a Focus and rated it very highly. Your bike shares (or shared, in terms of the wheels) a lot of components with my own aluminium framed Cube, which was my first and only road bike.

105 groupset has been superb, requiring very limited maintenance if looked after reasonably carefully. I have the stock Fulcrum 7s that came with my bike, and they've proved bomb-proof. I'm not that bothered about the weight issue as my own bloody weight fluctuates so much it seems immaterial. Also, being a short-arse, my bikes have small frames, so I get the benefit of a few ounces shed in this respect

I'm not in the market for a new bike any time soon, but if I were to take the plunge, I reckon I'd opt for titanium. Light, good damping/flexibility properties (like steel but not so heavy), and pretty damn sexy! Oh, and like steel, if the frame snaps, you can have it repaired, unlike carbon.

Buying a titanium bike is like making love to a beautiful woman....

Edited by Drooper