Official P&b Cycling Thread

Evans Ride It at Callander this Sunday, 87 miles including the Duke's Pass twice. Hoping to beat 6 and a half hours.

Only completed 78 miles, leaving out the last little loop. Averaged 13mph. Happy with that, especially given the weather. Felt quite strong for the first 55 miles. Coped much better than I would have done last year with the 1,500m climbing, especially in terms of recovery

Winter training has clearly done some good.

Edited by printer

• 2 weeks later...

This is a question I should've asked about 2 years ago.

If I'm on a multiple lane bypass and coming to a roundabout looking to take the last exit (right turn).............do I:

1. Do as you would on a car, move across the bypass at the very end before approaching roundabout and move to right hand lane and follow normal traffic around to that exit.
  2. Stay in the left lane and stay left all the way around the roundabout until my exit?

Cheers

If I'm on a multiple lane bypass and coming to a roundabout looking to take the last exit (right turn).............do I:

1. Do as you would on a car, move across the bypass at the very end before approaching roundabout and move to right hand lane and follow normal traffic around to that exit.
  2. Stay in the left lane and stay left all the way around the roundabout until my exit?

Cheers

Number 1.

Number 2 can be OK if you are nearer the middle of the road, but it risks you getting sideswiped by someone exiting the roundabout who isn't expecting you to continue round.

Cheers

3. Stick to cycle paths and GTF off major roads. Arsehole.

Cheers

http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/safe-cycling-multi-lane-roundabout/

At some point you will have to cross the flow of the traffic, better to do it approaching the round about than in it . Read the road, try to move with the flow of the vehicles, it is much better to be on the right hand side of left turning vehicles for a number of reasons including you are far more likely to be seen and the driver will not be crossing your path.

I normally go 1, but I'm still a bit of a pussy. Don't know if anyone of you have driven in Aberdeen but some of the roundabouts seem like a complete no go area for bikes to me.

Used to cycle from my house off King Street to work out near the airport. The Haudagain was a bit of an adventure during rush hour, and for the first month of making the commute I'd take a big detour to go up Mugiemoss Road instead (although that wasn't much better).

Aberdeen is full of maniacs.

• 2 weeks later...

Mega miles this weekend. Very sunburnt and broken tonight.

Had a chain snap near Rutland Water, had a chain tool and spare pin but the after the fix the chain was jumping like mad and would not sit in the big ring on the front gear. Had a great couple of days but by 6 I was broken and reduced to crawling at maybe 10mph, so with that and the chain I chucked the bike on a train to get home in time for some beers.

And they are lovely cold ones. 8)

Edited by dorlomin

Completed the Tour de Yorkshire Ride medium route on Sunday. Bonked with about 8 miles to go and could barely walk up the final steep hill.

Had punctured, lost time and didn't refuel at the last feed station with the cut off closing in. Fortunately the run in was largely downhill.

I thought the route was just to hilly to be enjoyable. Glad I did it though.

On the coutdown to Etape Caledonia this weekend. Fitness isn't really where it should be so hoping its not to hard going.

Hope you get decent weather. I did it last year and went too fast at the start, despite promising myself I'd take it easy.

Enjoy and let us know how you get on.

On the coutdown to Etape Caledonia this weekend. Fitness isn't really where it should be so hoping its not to hard going.

How did you get on Paisleysaints?

I was 4.43 - miles off my best but it was a shitey, shitey day. Thought it was pretty scary to be honest. Saw a lot of crashes, a couple looked quite serious. When it's like today some folk need to realise you're unlikely to beat your PB so just concentrate on getting round in one piece and don't jeopardise any of your fellow riders.