Official P&b Cycling Thread

Got back on the bike today and 14 of us went out on a club run

Usually only go around 45 miles on the Saturday run, but ended up doing 68

Beautiful morning and really helped clear the old head

Glad to hear you got back out with the guys. I'm sure your mate who tragically lost his life wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

I also enjoyed getting out tofday - on my tod, as usual. It was hard going on the hills as I'm not in the best riding shape, but good to be out all the same.

I've had better weekends

http://www.scotsman....-bike-1-2556994

Totally gutted by this

UTN, have not been on thread for a while and missed this.

Sorry to hear what happened and glad the club have been back out, as others have said, probably what the guy would have wanted most.

Trying to get into cycling as a long-term alternative to running to save the knees. Did Leith to Cramond Brig and back yesterday in an hour and a half on the 14 speed hybrid my brother left me before he went to Oz. Aiming to go as far as South Queensferry and back in the near future. However, when I see references to 68 miles and a "wee" trip being 20-odd miles, it does concern me about my ability given my 12-14 mile stint yesterday left me (a) knackered and (b) barely able to sit for saddle sore. I know having a road bike makes a fair difference but would the posters on here find a flattish 25 mile trip (maybe climbing a total of 200m in total?) on a hybrid to be a total breeze?

Trying to get into cycling as a long-term alternative to running to save the knees. Did Leith to Cramond Brig and back yesterday in an hour and a half on the 14 speed hybrid my brother left me before he went to Oz. Aiming to go as far as South Queensferry and back in the near future. However, when I see references to 68 miles and a "wee" trip being 20-odd miles, it does concern me about my ability given my 12-14 mile stint yesterday left me (a) knackered and (b) barely able to sit for saddle sore. I know having a road bike makes a fair difference but would the posters on here find a flattish 25 mile trip (maybe climbing a total of 200m in total?) on a hybrid to be a total breeze?

If you're just starting out cycling then you are going to be slow and sore. Keep at it and in a few months you'll be doing 20 miles without breaking sweat!

I regard 50km as a wee spin but when I started cycling it seemed like an impossible distance. Now, I'm just warmed up!

Your cycling and bike sound similar to mine. Keep it up and enjoy. Do PFS next year - you'll love it!

Happens to all of us at one time or another mate :lol:

I know, so embarrassing. Right in the middle of Paisley Town Centre too in a queue of traffic. I stopped behind a car at lights, only took my foot out one pedal and for some reason after standing for 10s leant left with comedy slow-mo fall routine. Woman in an Astra asked if I was alright, but he son was clearly stifling the giggles.

It fully depends on pace and indeed wind. I can go 45 miles and not be tired or go 10 and be shattered due to speed. Equally, I've done the same 14 mile ride in 2 days and been 12 minutes slower and knackered due to the headwind.

Just pick your own pace and enjoy it. On the cycle path yesterday I was doing 25kmh easily which was fine for me but might be too fast for others. Equally check the bike is correctly set up and feels right for you. Don't know if anyone else uses kmh when they are riding no idea why I do

My problem with cycling longer distances is actually boredom!

As others have said, and has been said on here often enough, just get on the bike, point it somewhere, and go.

There are no prizes for going furthest and fastest unless you're very serious about cycling or a pro-rider. Very few of us on here tick the first box, and I'm not aware of any who are pros.

I started riding a road bike after getting a shot of my late father-in-law's steel-framed Flying Scot - a couple of years ago, or thereabouts, and I'm already in my 40s. Like youself, I used to run a bit (the odd half marathon and general fitness), but my knees were packing in, so I thought I'd give road cycling a tentative try-out. Having ridden mountain bikes on and off for years, I couldn't get my head round the skinny, slick tyres at first - they scared the bejeezuz out of me, genuinely. After a few more rides - at a very pedestrian pace (literally!) - I began to enjoy myself, and was becoming more confident on the roads. I then set myself a goal - a 100 mile sportive, and that meant I had to get out and cover longer distances. I finished the 100 miles without too much difficulty (surprisingly), and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nowadays, I can't get out often enough.

I don't ride particularly fast, though I do enjoy ripping it up now and again, and distances vary depending on any number of factors, but, most importantly, it is simply down to how I'm feeling, and what I fancy doing on the day. While I think it is worthwhile setting yourself a goal such as an organised ride, I wouldn't be too concerned about average speed etc. The main thing is to get used to spending time (hours) on a bike. Buy decent padded shorts, and try a few saddles out if you can. Pop in here from time to time, as you'll hear plenty of tales of people blowing out their arses after a few miles cycling into a headwind, and falling over while trying to unclip from pedals etc. :P

Edited by Drooper

You're lucky there appears to be no damage to your bike/wheel.

Again, as others have said the wind is a complete b*****d, It is usually one of the main factors (if I am going out for lesuire) that decides if I go out or not.

Had a clipless moment at the traffic lights today. ph34r.gif Mildly embarrassing as I clipped the right foot down and leaned left laugh.gif

I've thus far only had one proper clipless moment. Went up to a set of traffic lights completely forgetting I had the SPDs on. Thankfully the car next to me didn't go mental when I grabbed on for balance. :lol:

My problem with cycling longer distances is actually boredom!

When you are able to get yourself into the zone, find the mental place where you are just a cycling machine, you can go very far.

Consumed by the journey, hunting down the miles. Oxygen flooding through your lungs, endorphins and dopamine helping reduce the pain.

When you have killed a monster long ride and are sitting home with an ice cold lager in the hand and a pizza on the table you feel like the pinnacle of humanity. Its just amazing.

When you are able to get yourself into the zone, find the mental place where you are just a cycling machine, you can go very far.

Consumed by the journey, hunting down the miles. Oxygen flooding through your lungs, endorphins and dopamine helping reduce the pain.

When you have killed a monster long ride and are sitting home with an ice cold lager in the hand and a pizza on the table you feel like the pinnacle of humanity. Its just amazing.

^^^Poetry!

UTN, have not been on thread for a while and missed this.

Sorry to hear what happened and glad the club have been back out, as others have said, probably what the guy would have wanted most.

Cheers MB

Funeral was yesterday and was attended by around 300 people.

I never fully appreciated how highly he had been regarded in Scottish / UK cycling circles and there were some really top guys there past and present champions,including a chap who'd flown over from Arizona,just to attend the funeral.it was a great celebration of the mans life and a fitting tribute to such a top bloke.

They collected over £2,100 which is going to be used to start up a trust fund helping out under privelaged kids get their first taste of cycling and develop their progress

Although tragic,its drawn us all closer together as a club and the "family" spirit has been amazing.

Hopefully I'll be back out tonight for the first of the nightime sessions in the dark