Official P&b Cycling Thread

Thinking about cycling through to the Pars game tomorrow but I'm not sure if there's somewhere safe to lock up the bike when I'm there.

Somewhere safe in Fife to lock up a bike?

It's called South Queensferry.

I've started cycling to work now that the weather's been better (and I'm skint and can't afford train fare). It's only about 4.75 miles away so it's not too far. Only recorded it three times. First time was 34 minutes going really slowly and a different route, second was just shy of 30 minutes going the most direct route possible (pretty much) but both those times I was doing it casually and not going for it.

Went for it again, most direct route, but tried a bit harder and got 22:53. I'm going to try and get that under 20 minutes before I leave work for good on the 23rd of August.

It's not a massive challenge but it's as exciting as I can make my route to work, and it gives me something to aim for I suppose.

Cycled up to Balerno today and then back down the Water of Leith walkway and Union Canal walkway to town. Not that far but I enjoyed it, the Water of Leith walkway up by Balerno and Currie was good, although the piles of horse shit were a little off putting.

Thinking about going up to the Pentland National Park and riding some of the trails up there next weekend, should the weather be OK. Anyone ever done any of those?

Decided at the last minute to go out on bike today. Done just over 38 miles to Largs and back. Wasn't looking to break any records but for first real run-out on this bike was quite happy with around 3hrs. Quite a few hills along the way and got held up on some of the cycle paths / promenades by families out enjoying the sun. Some lovely views over the Cumbraes to Arran with loads of wee boats out around Fairlie, think there may have been a race or something on. Thought I was going to get caught in a downpour or storm as it got really dark around Saltcoats on the return but apart from a few spits of rain it was dry all the way. Legs are a bit sore now but wrists are f*****g killing me :) Feels good to have done some exercise rather than sitting on the couch or in the pub all day.

I've started cycling to work now that the weather's been better (and I'm skint and can't afford train fare). It's only about 4.75 miles away so it's not too far. Only recorded it three times. First time was 34 minutes going really slowly and a different route, second was just shy of 30 minutes going the most direct route possible (pretty much) but both those times I was doing it casually and not going for it.

Went for it again, most direct route, but tried a bit harder and got 22:53. I'm going to try and get that under 20 minutes before I leave work for good on the 23rd of August.

It's not a massive challenge but it's as exciting as I can make my route to work, and it gives me something to aim for I suppose.

Well that was easy, though I managed to shed off 0.15 of a mile somewhere.

post-20107-13751055555416_thumb.jpg

Will see if I can get better than that. Thought it was a decent effort though.

Went to college today and it took 13 minutes there and 9 minutes back. Will see if I can get less than 9 when I start at the end of this month.

Had a wee run over to Troon and back earlier. 26 miles all in. Really starting to enjoy cycling now, must be the weather. Not sure what will happen when the summer's over :huh:

I just read (on the other thread which interests me) the purpose of your trip, mm! Cheers!

I managed to get myself a puncture in my rear tyre.

I've never had a puncture before, nor do I own a repair kit or any spare tyres or anything. What's my best option? I'm going to Google and see how easy it is, what I need, blah blah blah - but would it just be as easy going to Halfords and getting the guys in there to have a look and do it for me? How much is that likely to cost? It really couldn't have came at a worse time. I'm trying to save up as much as possible...

I managed to get myself a puncture in my rear tyre.

I've never had a puncture before, nor do I own a repair kit or any spare tyres or anything. What's my best option? I'm going to Google and see how easy it is, what I need, blah blah blah - but would it just be as easy going to Halfords and getting the guys in there to have a look and do it for me? How much is that likely to cost? It really couldn't have came at a worse time. I'm trying to save up as much as possible...

Cheapest option is a wee puncture repair kit and do it yourelf mate.

There'll be plenty videos on Youtube to show you.

Really,you should always carry a spare tube with you when out as you never know when and where this might happen.

For around £4.00,its well worth it

ETA.I think if you go into Halfords to get this done, you may get laughed at !!

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Remove the inner tube and if the puncture isn't immediately obvious, put some air back in the tube and put it in water. Bubbles will rise from the puncture.

If it's small enough, repairing is easy.

Edited by The Master

Yeah, I've had a look on-line and it looks fairly simple. I thought it was going to be harder. I'll take the wheel off tonight and I'll go round to Halfords tomorrow and buy everything I need to mend it. Thanks.

Been cycling to and from my work the last couple weeks as I got rid of my car. Airdrie to Tannochside business park. Takes about 28-30 minutes to get there and the way back it has ranged from 32-38 minutes. Absolute killer coming back to Airdrie as there are a few big climbs to take on the way back.

Legs are definitely taking more shape from it anyway.