Official P&b Cycling Thread

Smashing ride around leafy East Dunbartonshire with a brute of a head-wind on the way out and a pint stop on the way back.

I'm at the point now where the new tyres are giving me so much pace that my MTB gearing isn't cutting the mustard on the road. Finding myself free-pedalling on downhills, topping out at 35mph.

At the point where Santa is going to have to bring me a proper road-bike.

Presently resting after a 50 mile ride in South Ayrshire. All over territory with which I'm familiar, but either I'd forgotten the nature of the Nick o' the Balloch or someone's been up there making it longer and steeper. I'm a senior sort of chap and was exhausted by the top. Cracking day for it, mind. I'd go for a bath if I could find the energy, and if I thought my hamstrings would allow my access to said tub.

Done 22 miles earlier. The first 12 of which were riding straight into a head wind, in what can only be described as an act of self mutilation. :(

Feel the pain. Did the same thing heading into Ayrshire yesterday. Headwind all the way, one of my slowest rides in years. Not helped by crashing because of an errant dog which wandered in front of me on the cycle path too. It was a good day!

Saw a lot of comments in the press about the 'chaos' caused by the ride London event, 100 miles from the Olympic Park through Central London to Surrey and back finishing at the Mall. The ballot opens next Monday for 2014 and I have to say I'm fairly tempted by it- Boris did the ride in 8 hours so it can't be that hard!

Edited by flyingscot

I got a puncture cycling to work today - from a rose thorn! I feel like I'm in a Morrissey song.

Checked my rear tyre as I was passing my bike on Sunday morning and it was totally flat. Upon inspecting the puncture, I found this big b*****d jammed through my tire. It must have been a slow puncture, and it must have missed the Kevlar belt by a gnat's bawhair.

post-3435-13757201099671_thumb.jpg

Without meaning to sound like a patronising b*****d, it's great to hear so many people on here of varying abilities just getting so passionate about cycling. It can be an expensive and frustrating b*****d of a hobby , but regardless of age, ability, type of bike, gear you do or don't have , at the end of the day it's all about enjoying it.

Do your own thing , push yourself if you want to, don't if you don't .

Be safe , and just fucking enjoy the experience.

C'mon the cyclists :)

Without meaning to sound like a patronising b*****d, it's great to hear so many people on here of varying abilities just getting so passionate about cycling. It can be an expensive and frustrating b*****d of a hobby , but regardless of age, ability, type of bike, gear you do or don't have , at the end of the day it's all about enjoying it.

Do your own thing , push yourself if you want to, don't if you don't .

Be safe , and just fucking enjoy the experience.

C'mon the cyclists :)

The thing is it's only as expensive as you want it to be. You can get a bike and a helmet for £50 and you're away.

I am questioning treating myself to a Garmin. Sadly the budget probably won't stretch to the Edge 810. Has anyone got one of the lower models?

My lovely wife bought me the edge 510 (although I think it was so she could track me when I'm out riding to make sure I'm not hiding in the pub) and its a cracking piece of kit, easy to set up, I've not had it drop the GPS signal or stop working like my phone had a bad habit of doing. Even though it doesn't allow you to use it like a sat nav with maps for when you're riding a new route you can download the route to it and if you zoom in enough it's not too bad for figuring out which turns etc to take and it tells you if you go off route.