Official P&b Cycling Thread

Okaydoke. I've came to the decision of selling my roadbike due to lack of use. I don't really know what the value of it is to be honest hence the reason I'm turning to the trusted cyclists on this!

Details;

Boardman Roadbike Pro (originally bought brand new in 2011) full carbon fibre. Ritchey rims with one barely used continental ultra race tyre and one brand new continental gatorskin tyre. Shimano ultegra pedals fitted however I do have a set of standard ones as spare. Crud road racer 2 mudguards and both front and rear lights fitted. I also have loads of accessories such as lubs, cleaning shit and a spare tube/puncture repair kit.

All parts of the bike are in outstanding condition and the approximate mileage of the bike will be around 1000 miles. I really haven't used it as much as I'd have liked and would much prefer someone took it off me and appreciate it like it should.

So, based on the above, what could I realistically get for it and indeed, would anybody want it?

Much thanks in advance.

Whats the frame size?

Windiest day in along time today, parts of my cycle to work I would have been better off getting off and walking

Okaydoke. I've came to the decision of selling my roadbike due to lack of use. I don't really know what the value of it is to be honest hence the reason I'm turning to the trusted cyclists on this!

Details;

Boardman Roadbike Pro (originally bought brand new in 2011) full carbon fibre. Ritchey rims with one barely used continental ultra race tyre and one brand new continental gatorskin tyre. Shimano ultegra pedals fitted however I do have a set of standard ones as spare. Crud road racer 2 mudguards and both front and rear lights fitted. I also have loads of accessories such as lubs, cleaning shit and a spare tube/puncture repair kit.

All parts of the bike are in outstanding condition and the approximate mileage of the bike will be around 1000 miles. I really haven't used it as much as I'd have liked and would much prefer someone took it off me and appreciate it like it should.

So, based on the above, what could I realistically get for it and indeed, would anybody want it?

Much thanks in advance.

You being from Cowdenbeath and all, how about £20, a dodgy VCR and a bag of smack?

:)

Windiest day in along time today, parts of my cycle to work I would have been better off getting off and walking

Yesterday we did a 58 mile loop from Paisley to Greenock, Largs, Kilbirnie and Paisley. Enjoyed it, but the wind on the high ground above Greenock to Largs was difficult. Some drizzle but mostly dry - except our lunch break in a park in Largs was a soggy, cold experience.

Most annoying thing was my newly serviced bike - new chain and freewheel - had the chain slipping on uphills. Any expert advice, guys?

Edited by Bold Rover

Large. 57cm seat tube. I'm a bawhair under 5'10 and always felt it was ever so slightly big but nothing major.

No wonder you've not used it much mate, I'd say that frame size is way too big for you.I'm 6 foot and have a 58cm frame.

If I remember correctly, these bikes sold at around £1700, so I'd say you should be able to get around half that for it,as values drop quickly and many people are wary of buying second had bikes at that price point, especially carbon.

I think you need to go back to Halfords and give whoever sold you it a fucking slap, as they should never have given you a frame that big

Edited by Unleash The Nade

No wonder you've not used it much mate, I'd say that frame size is way too big for you.I'm 6 foot and have a 58cm frame.

If I remember correctly, these bikes sold at around  £1700, so I'd say you should be able to get around half that for it,as values drop quickly and many people are wary of buying second had bikes at that price point, especially carbon.

I think you need to go back to Halfords and give whoever sold you it a fucking slap, as they should never have given you a frame that big

As I say, it was never too uncomfortable so I just put up with it and yep, it wasn't a cheap bike.

Going to buy a mountain bike with whatever dosh I get for it purely so I can go a cycle that isn't on the road.

Where should I advertise it? It really is a cracking bike but I'm just not doing it justice.

As I say, it was never too uncomfortable so I just put up with it and yep, it wasn't a cheap bike.

Going to buy a mountain bike with whatever dosh I get for it purely so I can go a cycle that isn't on the road.

Where should I advertise it? It really is a cracking bike but I'm just not doing it justice.

I'd say gumtree would be youre best bet mate, or try a local road bike club (theres on in Dunfermline).

Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but when you say mountain bike, do you mean a hybrid or out and out mountain bike?

If you don't plan to do anything too outrageous and want it for some decent off road stuff, but also suitable for rads and nipping about, Id suggest a hard tail hybrid with front suspension.Something like a Specialized Crosstrail

I'd say gumtree would be youre best bet mate, or try a local road bike club (theres on in Dunfermline). 

Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but when you say mountain bike, do you mean a hybrid or out and out mountain bike?

If you don't plan to do anything too outrageous and want it for some decent off road stuff, but also suitable for rads and nipping about, Id suggest a hard tail hybrid with front suspension.Something like a Specialized Crosstrail

Probably an out and out mountain bike but I am considering a hybrid. Really not decided 100% what I'd like tbh. Cheers for the advice.

Chain might be stretching or the gears are getting worn.

Could be this and could also be worn cassette or chain rings.

You should really change chain every 6 months as only costs around £20, but much cheaper than replacing cassettes or chain rings, which get damaged quickly when the chain is worn

Picked up my new bike today - by f**k it's nippy!

Front brake is making a sort of grinding noise, but I think it just needs to bed in. My saddle also seems high compared to my previous bike; it's a fraction under being level with the handlebars and I can touch the ground just on tip-toes - does that seem right?

Tires are pretty slick as well, so I'm dreading rain!

Saddle height is a personal thing, ideally you want a slight bend in your leg when the pedal is at the 6 o clock position with your foot flat (you don't want your heel pointing up or down). I'm about 5'8" but don't have long legs so I ride a 52cm frame bike with the saddle pretty high, most of the 54cm frames I tried would castrate me.

Saddle height is a personal thing, ideally you want a slight bend in your leg when the pedal is at the 6 o clock position with your foot flat (you don't want your heel pointing up or down). I'm about 5'8" but don't have long legs so I ride a 52cm frame bike with the saddle pretty high, most of the 54cm frames I tried would castrate me.

I think maybe my question should have been phrased more as saddle height relative to handlebar height.

Having had a chance now to compare, I don't think the saddle is higher, but the handlebars are lower. I guess it depends on my preferred riding position.

On the subject of shite cycle paths, is anyone here from the south side of Glasgow. If so, look at the fucking shite excuse for a cycle path all the way up Carmunnock Road. It appears from nowhere, bumps up onto the kerb and ends up at Dougrie on a lamp post.

In Ayrshire, the "cycle routes" amount to painting a few bikes - long since faded - on the dreadful roads, and a few blue signs on lamposts. Virtually worthless.