Official P&b Cycling Thread

I had the fortune to meet Graeme Obree some years ago through work and he is kinda bonkers, but a helluva nice guy.

He was very easy to talk to one to one and his observations re athletes and drug use was 'enlightning' to say the least.

Best of luck to him with this venture..

This morning did a wee 16 mile loop out of Loans over the hill to Dundonald and beyond. Someone told me the hill was a challenge, so I wanted to try it. It's certainly steep in bits, but not long. Cracking views from the top, in all directions. Ach weel - back to work tomorrow!

A pure road bike will feel flimsy if you take it on unsurfaced tracks, also not good for bumping up kerbs, weaving in and out of pedestrians etc but they fly on smooth tarmac and open roads. There are very good hybrids like the Specialized Sirrus which are fast, basically because they are roadbikes with a flat handlebar giving a more comfortable riding position. For real bombing about, I'd recommend a bike that a lot of people rate highly, the Specialized Crosstrail. A good commuter, you can put panniers on it but because it has front fork suspension you can take it confidently along forest trails and the like.

Or you could go the cyclocross route I've got a genesis Croix de fer which I use for commuting and winter training as well as forest tracks it's a cracking multi purpose beast, you can also get the day one alfine which has hub gears to stand up to our crappy winters and all the salt and muck on the road

Aye, I didn't want to mention the cyclocross option cos I'm sure I've bored everyone to tears with my gushing over my lovely Tricross. They really are the Jack of all trades - i just did the Glasgow to Edinburgh 47 mile ride on it but I've also done MTB courses on it (slowly) and thrown myself down a rough mountain track and survived. Tough as old boots and as fast as me.

Thinking of getting a cycle to work bike. Will be first bike for ages. Will mainly be for commuting: am I better with a road bike or a hybrid? Will a road bike limit me too much, or will a hybrid just feel sluggish on roads...?

Get a road bike and you won't look back. You'll be out chasing KOMs before you know it!

Aye, I didn't want to mention the cyclocross option cos I'm sure I've bored everyone to tears with my gushing over my lovely Tricross. They really are the Jack of all trades - i just did the Glasgow to Edinburgh 47 mile ride on it but I've also done MTB courses on it (slowly) and thrown myself down a rough mountain track and survived. Tough as old boots and as fast as me.

Cyclocross bikes are fantastic if you've got the money. I've got a Cannondale, and it allows me to do everything I want to do, while still being quick on the roads. I just love not having to worry about weather or bumps/potholes/off-roady bits, especially as I'm a bit heavier than your average cyclist

Thanks all. Budget probs 500 / 600 max so cyclocross might be a bit out of range...

Edging towards a hybrid looking at the advice here - looking online Fuji 1.4 looks decent?

I picked up my Tricross for £550 in the sales last year. The Fuji looks ok though

I'm looking for some major climbs. Any ideas where I can head up obviously on road bike not off road

If you mean near Paisley/Glasgow then the Crow (Lennoxtown) and Tak Ma Doon (Kilsyth) are the classics. Tak is the harder with two steep ramps but both are excellent climbs.

You can reach the Dukes Pass (Aberfoyle) too, nice climb but not as bad as its reputation would suggest.

Near Paisley there is Glinnifer Braes and a similar climb at Greenock too. Both are pretty short but you could always do hill repeats!

Thanks all. Budget probs 500 / 600 max so cyclocross might be a bit out of range...

Edging towards a hybrid looking at the advice here - looking online Fuji 1.4 looks decent?

My roadbike I'm trying to get rid of not of any interest to you? See a few posts back.

I'm looking for some major climbs. Any ideas where I can head up obviously on road bike not off road

Not sure just how "major" you mean, PS, but out of Paisley, we went to Greenock and Largs 12 days ago. The climb up through Greenock to the Old Largs Road is interesting, as is the Haylie Brae east out of Largs. Great sense of achievement that day! In midweek, I rode from Loans over the hill to Dundonald - another wee tester. Enjoy.

You cycled up the Haylie Brae? Major credit I'd never risk the A road to Largs, prefer the Dalry Moor Road.

Gosh - wasn't seeking credit! We considered going down to Fairlie and heading for Dalry, but weren't sure of the road and would have put another 10 miles or so on our already long circuit that day. We did create a queue of impatient cars behind us on the twists of the brae, climbing at about 3mph!