Official P&b Cycling Thread

What app does everybody use for tracking their rides? Strava the best of them?

if you choose strava there is a team pie and bovril so you can see what others are doing

70 odd mile down to Largs today windy to start with but turned out nice

Edited by paisleysaints

The segments are ace. I have a QOM and I check it almost every day to make sure no f**cker steals it from me! ;-)

I can only dream of a KOM :( might make my own segment so I can get one for myself!

Why is everything a competition these days?

Can you not just go out on your bike for a ride without being the fastest/longest? I'm not fast but I usually use the higher gears for more resistance and I only do 20 odd miles (if that) each time.

It doesn't have to be a competition, but I have a very competitive nature (mostly against myself to be fair, because I'm not very fast at either running or cycling). I'm always trying to beat my own PBs and I train hard and when I do get a new PB, I get such a buzz. The first time I got under 55 mins in a 10k run, I was on cloud 9 for a fortnight, yet 55 mins for a 10k really isn't that fast. Different strokes and all that...

Same, I quite enjoy seeing that I am getting faster than a couple of weeks back etc.

Some people just have to be 'the best' however and will want that Strava 1st place.

Yeah i think its all about personnal improvement and seeing the PB sign is always pleasing lol

But as you saying put a leaderboard in any sport/activity there will always a few up for the challange i was guilty of this last year, thankfully got my cycling head back and just going out and enjoying it and hoping to get faster

Can you not just go out on your bike for a ride without being the fastest/longest? I'm not fast but I usually use the higher gears for more resistance and I only do 20 odd miles (if that) each time.

Because we're boys.

Competition can be healthy

But not much fun? - I played competitive sports when I was younger, I must be more mellow now :)

I have zero interest in being the best, fastest etc but I want to and do keep fit - that's enough for me!

But not much fun? - I played competitive sports when I was younger, I must be more mellow now :)

I have zero interest in being the best, fastest etc but I want to and do keep fit - that's enough for me!

It can be fun, if I play a game of football, I enjoy it being competitive and winning

It doesn't have to be a competition, but I have a very competitive nature (mostly against myself to be fair, because I'm not very fast at either running or cycling). I'm always trying to beat my own PBs and I train hard and when I do get a new PB, I get such a buzz. The first time I got under 55 mins in a 10k run, I was on cloud 9 for a fortnight, yet 55 mins for a 10k really isn't that fast. Different strokes and all that...

Both of these ^^

The important thing is going out there and enjoying it.

As Reina says,the only person you should really be competing against is yourself.

If you try and compete against others, you'll end up scunnering yourself

I'm not into all this Strava, Map My Ride etc,etc stuff, I know when I've done a tough run, climbed steep hills or done a fast descent, as my body tells me. All I have is a simple speedo / mileometer.

Having said all of that, its still good to pummel some of the guys in the club who are half my age !!! ( Ooo Matron!)

Footiechick, If you want to get more into it, maybe worth you coming along to one of Falkirk Bike Club nights / days.

Womens section growing all the time