Official P&b Cycling Thread

Nice set-up.

I think UtN had/has a Focus and rated it very highly. Your bike shares (or shared, in terms of the wheels) a lot of components with my own aluminium framed Cube, which was my first and only road bike.

105 groupset has been superb, requiring very limited maintenance if looked after reasonably carefully. I have the stock Fulcrum 7s that came with my bike, and they've proved bomb-proof. I'm not that bothered about the weight issue as my own bloody weight fluctuates so much it seems immaterial. Also, being a short-arse, my bikes have small frames, so I get the benefit of a few ounces shed in this respect

I'm not in the market for a new bike any time soon, but if I were to take the plunge, I reckon I'd opt for titanium. Light, good damping/flexibility properties (like steel but not so heavy), and pretty damn sexy! Oh, and like steel, if the frame snaps, you can have it repaired, unlike carbon.

Buying a titanium bike is like making love to a beautiful woman....

I agree totally re titanium - from what I've read. Also agree on the 105 groupset - when I changed to the Ultegra my go to guy in my LBS said there's virtually no difference Ultegra just wear out quicker and I reckon he's right.

I'm not the biggest lad either and the only other alteration I've made is sticking in the shims to bring the brake/gear levers closer to the handlebars. I've mentioned it before so didn't want to repeat myself but they've made a big difference to my down hilling as I just feel so much more confidence in my ability to slow the fecking bike down.

My only criticism of the Focus would be it came with some sort of weird - not to mention shite - headset which was tricky to replace.

Just back from a random trip to this new 'Decathlon' shop at Braehead. Never really been much of a cyclist but having a wee look into buying one now to save a bit of cash on transport long term.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-black-id_8239801.html

Is that a good deal or is the guy in the shop talking out his arse?

Looks great for that price!

I agree totally re titanium - from what I've read. Also agree on the 105 groupset - when I changed to the Ultegra my go to guy in my LBS said there's virtually no difference Ultegra just wear out quicker and I reckon he's right.

I'm not the biggest lad either and the only other alteration I've made is sticking in the shims to bring the brake/gear levers closer to the handlebars. I've mentioned it before so didn't want to repeat myself but they've made a big difference to my down hilling as I just feel so much more confidence in my ability to slow the fecking bike down.

My only criticism of the Focus would be it came with some sort of weird - not to mention shite - headset which was tricky to replace.

Aye, I use the shims on the brakes, too.

I've not had to replace any bits on my road bike as yet, though had a fairly long lay-off, so it hasn't taken too much punishment.

I've flirted with the idea of carbon, but wasn't overly convinced by its durability or comfort (though there probably isn't much in it when compared with alu).

When I first started riding the road bike, and for a while thereafter, I tended to get the head down and feel I was obliged to hammer it at all costs. I returned home from what should have been a scenic route one afternoon, and couldn't remember even looking about and taking in the views during the ride. This struck me as a bit daft, and I realised I was missing out. I'll never race, or compete in time trials, so I had a bit of a re-think as to what I was looking to get out of my riding. I realised I enjoyed have a relatively light, fast bike that could get me places in decent time and in relative comfort, but I also wanted to enjoy being outdoors, and active.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy thrashing it occasionally, and got the head down during my commute yesterday because the roads were quiet and I was feeling good, but I now know how to get more from my riding. I reckon I still prefer the road bike (I've also got a MTB and a folder), but I've now realised that I should use it for my purposes, rather than trying to adapt to what I assumed was it's - not sure if that makes any sense, but hey ho!

Nice set-up.

I think UtN had/has a Focus and rated it very highly. Your bike shares (or shared, in terms of the wheels) a lot of components with my own aluminium framed Cube, which was my first and only road bike.

105 groupset has been superb, requiring very limited maintenance if looked after reasonably carefully. I have the stock Fulcrum 7s that came with my bike, and they've proved bomb-proof. I'm not that bothered about the weight issue as my own bloody weight fluctuates so much it seems immaterial. Also, being a short-arse, my bikes have small frames, so I get the benefit of a few ounces shed in this respect

I'm not in the market for a new bike any time soon, but if I were to take the plunge, I reckon I'd opt for titanium. Light, good damping/flexibility properties (like steel but not so heavy), and pretty damn sexy! Oh, and like steel, if the frame snaps, you can have it repaired, unlike carbon.

Buying a titanium bike is like making love to a beautiful woman....

Aye, I've got a Focus Cayo Evo 4 as my summer bike and love it

It's actually my second one, as I crashed and snapped the frame of my first after 200 miles!!

My middle bike is an aluminium framed Cube Streamer and I still think one of the best value bikes you can get and has full 105 kit on it.

I've never tried a titanium bike, but a few guys I know who have them,swear by them

Just back from a random trip to this new 'Decathlon' shop at Braehead. Never really been much of a cyclist but having a wee look into buying one now to save a bit of cash on transport long term.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-road-bike-black-id_8239801.html

Is that a good deal or is the guy in the shop talking out his arse?

That's a very good bike for the money

Turns out I'm too tall for that size (I'm 6'2).

If this fantastic weather continues it's going to end up killing me.

Cycled five different (10+ mile long) ways home from work each day this week and seemed to find a steeper hill each day. Keep this up and I'll be going up the Hilltown some time next week.

Perhaps I need to lose some weight :rolleyes:

It's frustrating how poor the facilities for cyclists are at grounds. I was going to cycle through to Ochilview for the game today but I couldn't see anywhere to lock up a bike the last time I was there and nobody is answering the phone today. Other grounds I've thought about cycling to are Airdrie's and Alloa but they have little or no facilities either

I'm sure if clubs provided secure lock-up points, many more people would cycle to games - especially at this time of year..

Alright, I have a 6 month old Trek Hybrid bike and have used it fairly regularly since I bought it. I'm now thinking it's a bit heavier than I would ideally like. Reckon I'm going to sell it and get a road bike.

The reason I bought a hybrid was I wasn't sure where I would be using it - it's for leisure not commuting. However I've mainly been on cycle lanes so no real need for the hybrid.

Anyway, where's the best place to sell a second hand bike? Any advice? I'm looking for a relatively quick sale and there are a few options online ( cash converters, cash 4 mountain bikes etc) but don't want to under value it.

To buy my bike new from Evans is £475.

Edited by Silvio

• 2 weeks later...

Down in London for this cycle looking forward to it. Got to add the London commuters are all bonkers no wonder we get a bad name. Constantly jumping red lights weaving in and out of busy traffic easy half of them idiots on the old Boris bikes.

London is mental for bikes, but traffic is as bad so I think it is a survival of the fittest of sorts. Would love to do Ride London some time. Know someone doing the 110 pedal for Scotland ride which is tempting but probably not bother- my fitness and my boredom kicks in at 70miles!

Did the Prudential 100 today which technically was the Prudential 87.5 as it had to be shortened due to the weather.

Took out Boxhill and Leith Hill as the descents would have been too dangerous.

Finished in 4 hours 54 minutes which I was quite chuffed with given you were cycling through a foot of water on some of the roads.

I climbed Boxhill yesterday in training and it was great although not really that tough - if you are only doing it once!

I can't doing with a backpack while I'm cycling. Gets on my tits (maybe I should tighten the straps....). In saying that, I usually have to stick one on when I commute into work, because I am no longer organised enough to have a change of clothes waiting for me when I arrive.

Why not go on ebay and buy a second hand smartphone for £30 and load the app onto that?

Will that work?

I'm not too up on the technology that runs Strava, would I need a contract or would you get a GPS signal anyway?

Definitely need to do something as my I Pad only picked up 28 miles of my 87.5 miles today so a total waste taking a fecking rucksack with me!

Will that work?

I'm not too up on the technology that runs Strava, would I need a contract or would you get a GPS signal anyway?

Definitely need to do something as my I Pad only picked up 28 miles of my 87.5 miles today so a total waste taking a fecking rucksack with me!

Just need something with GPS to run Strava and wifi to upload when back at home.

A cheap smartphone at £30 should do the job- even just stick a PAYG sim card in it and you have a cheap backup phone.

Edit- could even get a handlebar case and stick it there.

Edited by flyingscot

Got my Pedal For Scotland number through in the post this morning.

Shit just got real.

is that for the Sportive? For the ordinary, last year we were asked to choose a start time so you got a colour coded number - I haven't had that yet.

Two weeks running absolute sh*t weather London 100 and the Renfrewshire 100, I dont think i'll sign up for the PFS i might be the fecking Jinx

I forgot about the Renfrewshire 100. Was wanting to do the 100K one this year!

Don't know whether to bother with PFS. Know a few people doing the sportive, but doubt I can be bothered with the early start or the mass ride this year. Will wait and see.