Official P&b Cycling Thread

I had a wheel-drain interface incident this morning.

Slowly filtering (6mph tops) past stationary traffic towards a set of traffic lights then suddenly I found myself over the handlebars and on the deck. The front wheel had wedged itself perfectly into a slit of a drain, with my bike then coming to rest against someone's car (oops). There was no damage done so the driver was fine with it. A passing pedestrian helped unwedge my bike from the drain; remarkably, there doesn't appear to be any damage - certainly, I was able to continue after putting the chain back on.

As for me - left leg came off worst, with a gash above the knee, some scrapes just along from it and something on my shin that will turn into an almighty bruise. And a distinct lack of pride.

I knew there was a drain there but never thought anything of it because it's a filter I've done literally hundreds of times with no problems.

One of the worst hazards , especially when riding a road bike with narrow tyres.

As the majority f drain covers are square, I don't know why they simply don't fit them the other way around, so the drain holes are at right angle to the road.

One of the worst hazards , especially when riding a road bike with narrow tyres.

As the majority f drain covers are square, I don't know why they simply don't fit them the other way around, so the drain holes are at right angle to the road.

That's a great comment and point well made. We're constantly squeezed in the gutters with all the drains, manholes and potholes. One of these days we will have the mythical 'critical mass' of cyclists and we will be sorted.

Really feeling the effects of my arms breaking my fall yesterday. Even pushing doors open is an effort.

I suppose I could take the opportunity to stock up on free painkillers. After my last spill, my GP prescribed 100 co-codomal for some mild shoulder pain...

That's a great comment and point well made. We're constantly squeezed in the gutters with all the drains, manholes and potholes. One of these days we will have the mythical 'critical mass' of cyclists and we will be sorted.

On some of the popular routes we go with the club, we've actually stopped and turned them around ourselves.

Maybe get a wee campaign going here.

Turn A Drain To Stop The Pain!! :thumsup2

On mu usual commute home last night the cycle path in paisley was closed off at Linwood with Police there and johnstone side. heard later that some monster has sexually assaulted an 18 year old woman. disguisting this was broad daylight

Junkie robbed a schoolgirl on it near Castlehead at 8am one morning near the RAH.

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed the Coast to Coast in 3 days, Whitehaven to Tynemouth. Really enjoyable and very with most of it on quiet roads and bridleways pretty relaxing.

The highlight was going up Hartside Pass, with the low point coming around 3 hours earlier when the realisation that when we left Penrith we went 20 miles in the wrong direction. Still got back on track and completed it. I would recommend it to anyone an we are planning on doing it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been looking at other touring routes of around the same distance as the C2C. The 'Way of the Roses' looks a good bet, Morecombe to Bridlington. A night in York at the end of day 2 can't be bad. The guys from my work I did the C2C with are all from down south so it's a good compromise meeting up around there.

Of course this means the purchase of another frame (cyclocross) instead of the hybrid I used for the C2C after someone mentioned they were going to do that. Although there is nothing really wrong with the hybrid, I am finding I'm spending my time at work looking at Cyclocross frames I can build up. Total Dreamer.

Still the favourite at the moment is the Kenesis Crosslight Pro 6. http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/crosslight/prosix

Trying to convince myself I can use it as my winter bike as well.

• 2 weeks later...