Official P&b Cycling Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My dad is on the hunt for a bike. He is looking for something for weekend cycles, but would appreciate a bit of comfort. He hasnt been on a bike in a number of years but does not want a mountain bike.

I am currently still riding my red Triban T3, but he thinks it looks a bit uncomfortable as he is 6ft 3 and 15 and a bit stones.

That is making me think a hybrid would be the best option for him. Anyone aware of any good deals or got any recommendations. Budget is around 450-500.

My dad is on the hunt for a bike. He is looking for something for weekend cycles, but would appreciate a bit of comfort. He hasnt been on a bike in a number of years but does not want a mountain bike.

I am currently still riding my red Triban T3, but he thinks it looks a bit uncomfortable as he is 6ft 3 and 15 and a bit stones.

That is making me think a hybrid would be the best option for him. Anyone aware of any good deals or got any recommendations. Budget is around 450-500.

At the danger of sounding like a stuck record on this subject

Hard to look past a Specialized Crosstrail

You'll get one of these with the budget you have

At the danger of sounding like a stuck record on this subjectHard to look past a Specialized CrosstrailYou'll get one of these with the budget you have

He was thinking about the cannondale quick 4, but it isn't available anywhere in extra large.

What do you make of the spec of the model below it http://m.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/quick-5-2014-hybrid-bike-ec054941

He was thinking about the cannondale quick 4, but it isn't available anywhere in extra large.

What do you make of the spec of the model below it http://m.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/quick-5-2014-hybrid-bike-ec054941

Looks decent enough but can't really comment as haven't ridden one

If he's looking for a bit comfort and wants to go on roads as well as canal

towpaths and other sedate off road activity, the Crosstrail has front suspension so offers a wee bit more comfort

I'm mainly into road cycling but also have a Crosstrail and love it and would never

part with it

Eta if he goes for ins tell him to go for the model with disc brakes as well worth it and still in his budget

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/crosstrail-disc-2015-mens-hybrid-bike-ec067768?country=GB&currency=GBP&ds_e_ad_type=pla&gclid=CKSx6fnsgsMCFa_JtAoddC8AJw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Unleash The Nade

He needs an XL so the models are limited by the size. He also is put off by the added weight of the front suspension on the crosstrail as a) he wants something relatively quick without the posture of a road bike and b) he lives a couple of flights up and would need to carry the bike up the stairs.

He needs an XL so the models are limited by the size. He also is put off by the added weight of the front suspension on the crosstrail as a) he wants something relatively quick without the posture of a road bike and b) he lives a couple of flights up and would need to carry the bike up the stairs.

Always a good idea when seeking advice to give all these details first!.

f**k it, tell him to get this

post-25568-0-22338700-1420714981_thumb.j

That Crosstrail does look decent.

I bought an entry level hybrid last summer but I'm wanting to upgrade already, been using it a lot more than I thought I would. Was thinking of something around a similar price range with lockable front suspension that is a bit more durable for forest runs.

Cheers UTN, will give that a look. No Evans in Aberdeen but might be worth just paying for delivery of the shops here can't beat that price.

I seem to remember someone on here also possibly purchasing one, what was the feedback?

That Crosstrail does look decent.

I seem to remember someone on here also possibly purchasing one, what was the feedback?

That might have been me - UtN recommended it to me. In fact I chose to go for the Giant Anyroad 1 cyclocross. Main reasons were the variable hand positions on the handlebars and that the reputable Ayrshire dealer, Walker's, does them. Also didn't think I needed the suspension. I've hardly used it but it's certainly light and smooth and I'm hoping will be a good investment.

Today managed to dodge the heavy showers to and from work - on my old hybrid.