Official P&b Cycling Thread

I have recently bought a road bike, could anyone recommend some clipless pedals to start out with.

I have always used flat pedals on my hybrid bike, but reading reviews online, clipless pedals sound like a must for road biking.

I'm a cheapskate when it comes these things. A quick Google search came up with these -

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-r540-spd-sl-light-action-clipless-pedals/rp-prod109699

96 reviews all either 5 or 4 stars - what's not to like and if you find its not for you you've not spent too much.

I bought a set similar to these about 10 years ago and they are still going.

You will definitely fall off of course, you'll right up to a junction in a daydream go to put your foot down and after 10 seconds of frantic pulling and twisting you'll be over.

I followed a routine of unclipping my left leg about 50 yards short of every junction.

I also advise some of these -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-essential-cleat-covers/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360662991&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360662991uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Shoes&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7CsSV9jhz6i_dm%7Cpcrid%7C67090788062%7Cpkw%7C%7Cpmt%7C%7Cprd%7C5360662991uk

Finally once you get the cleats in a position you like mark round it with a big felt pin on the base of your shoe. Then when you need to change the cleats (the foot you put down gets most worn obviously) you will be able to put the new one in the exact same place. If your a wee bit out you can find your twisting your knee or something and it can be a bit uncomfortable.

Edited by Fifespud

Was on a ride yesterday with this old guy - even older than me - who dislocated a shoulder in a tumble last year. He couldn't release his foot quickly enough. The fear of that puts me off the shoe-pedal systems, but I don't race and am quite happy being slow!

I don't race either but now would feel uncomfortable on a bike without clipless pedals

If you have them set loose ( much like skis) your foot should release easily.

The advantages they give are you can also pull up, so not always just your downward leg that's working and if you're out of the saddle on a climb etc, no danger of your foot slipping off the pedal as can often happen

Granted , they take a wee bit getting used to , but once you master it , you wont go back

I have recently bought a road bike, could anyone recommend some clipless pedals to start out with.

I have always used flat pedals on my hybrid bike, but reading reviews online, clipless pedals sound like a must for road biking.

To start with I would go for the "cleat" type pedals but try something like these Shimsno SPD's

Reasons being , they're relatively inexpensive but also double sided , whereas the "clear" type are only single sided lock in and can be a bit trickier to get your foot into

Shoes to fit this the also tend to be a bit cheaper

post-25568-0-41106000-1458028883_thumb.p

It doesn't need to, and shouldn't, be your last question, Central. I love the chat in this thread. I was in your position 18 months ago and UtN who, clearly knows his bikes, commended the Specialized Crosstrail. In fact, I think he had one and oozed about it. In fact I went for a Giant, but the Cyclocross Anyroad which was a good bit dearer. Do you need the front suspension? It does add a bit of weight to the bike. I'm not sure what terrain demands it, but I haven't found any need for it on country roads, canal paths etc.

Wait on UtN coming back in - he'll dissertate on the Crosstrail. Some places (eg the Edinburgh Bike Cooperative) do hire-before-you-buy schemes whereby you get your hire money back if you buy the bike. Good luck.

As BR says, I'm a big fan of the Crosstrail , but to be honest, that's a great price for the Giant which is very similar and Â£200 cheaper 

If you're looking to buy pedals, helmet,clothing etc,etc, that £20 could get you quite a bit of clobber plus the bike for the same price as the Specialized on its own

I'd say go for the Giant

Eta: This'll save you a further £20

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/285044/products/2015-giant-roam-2-hybrid-bike-blue.aspx?origin=pla_with_promotion&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CLiPhO-9wssCFdS7Gwod_jEE3A

Edited by Unleash The Nade

Thanks for the advice, seen the shimano spd pedals in halfords but was taken a back by how small they were, but now having seen videos online of were the shoe clips in it makes more sense.

You can also get shoes with the small cleat recessed in the sole, which means you can walk around in them without causing damage to the cleat, or sliding and falling on your arse

Cracking day on the roads yesterday headed down towards largs so a round trip between there and erskine 60 odd hard miles.

my mate suggested I try the Fairlie moor road climb into Dalry absolute brutal my legs were screaming at me last 15/20 mile home.

even the 2 mile cycle to work today was hardcore

To start with I would go for the "cleat" type pedals but try something like these Shimsno SPD's

Reasons being , they're relatively inexpensive but also double sided , whereas the "clear" type are only single sided lock in and can be a bit trickier to get your foot into

Shoes to fit this the also tend to be a bit cheaper

attachicon.gifimage.png

That's the ones I was talking about. I really like them and to be honest, probably wont bother getting 'proper' road bike pedals unless I eventually get round to upgrading the bike.

Cracking day on the roads yesterday headed down towards largs so a round trip between there and erskine 60 odd hard miles.

my mate suggested I try the Fairlie moor road climb into Dalry absolute brutal my legs were screaming at me last 15/20 mile home.

even the 2 mile cycle to work today was hardcore

One of my sons lives in Paisley and a wee run we have done is from there, along the old railway to Port Glasgow, into Greenock then up a killer hill past the golf club to the Old Largs Road. Down into Largs then up the Hailey Brae to Kilbirnie and back to Paisley. Respect, please!

That's the ones I was talking about. I really like them and to be honest, probably wont bother getting 'proper' road bike pedals unless I eventually get round to upgrading the bike.

The only disadvantage they have is the small surface contact area with your shoe , as this can sometimes cause a hot spot on the sold of your foot in a long ride

The only disadvantage they have is the small surface contact area with your shoe , as this can sometimes cause a hot spot on the sold of your foot in a long ride

Maybe my rides aren't long enough...!! 65 miles is as far as I've gone in one ride.

You can also get shoes with the small cleat recessed in the sole, which means you can walk around in them without causing damage to the cleat, or sliding and falling on your arse

My wife has these type of shoes. I can't see how you would fit a shim to them if you had to

post-17349-14580770764106_thumb.jpg

Do use SPDs UTN?

My wife has these type of shoes. I can't see how you would fit a shim to them if you had to

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1458077075.817448.jpg

Do use SPDs UTN?

SPDs on my mountain bike and Look cleats and pedals on road bikes

The shoe on the right shoes type of cleats for SPD's

post-25568-0-92664900-1458079944_thumb.j

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I managed to blast another 40 odd miles yesterday.  Found a new route - followed the A77 towards Newton Mearns from Kilmarnock (normal route) but instead of heading into Glasgow I turned left at Malletsheugh Road and then went onto the Mearns - Stewarton back road.  A rough 5 miles up to the top of the hill where I had a wee rest and a walk up the actual "field" bit of the hill to enjoy the view with my lunch and then an absolutely glorious 20 mile run to Stewarton and then Kilwinning which is almost all downhill.  Amazing route which I'd recommend any Glasgow/Ayrshire cyclists to try.

On a clear day at the top of a hill its brilliant to look down to where you are going and see away in the distance.  When I was at Kingsford yesterday I must've been able to see 40/50 miles in every direction and heading towards the sea and knowing you are on a downhill section is tremendous.

Edited by Dindeleux

SPDs on my mountain bike and Look cleats and pedals on road bikes

The shoe on the right shoes type of cleats for SPD's

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

You could get a shim on yours. Hers are in the shed and I've got my jammies on!

I do like my SL's - especially since I had a decent bike fit and got the whole job aligned.

Any clip ins would be better than flat peddles as you have said. I've flat peddles on my MTB and it feels weird now. I'm no great fan of the MTB though, I've not got the bottle for the jumps and descents if I'm honest.

One of my sons lives in Paisley and a wee run we have done is from there, along the old railway to Port Glasgow, into Greenock then up a killer hill past the golf club to the Old Largs Road. Down into Largs then up the Hailey Brae to Kilbirnie and back to Paisley. Respect, please!

I fully intended to day the Hailey brae route home. But my mate suggested I try the Moor Road. Not far along from the brae if you like your hills I recommend it. You end up in Dalry so back on route fairly quickly.

I managed to blast another 40 odd miles yesterday. Found a new route - followed the A77 towards Newton Mearns from Kilmarnock (normal route) but instead of heading into Glasgow I turned left at Malletsheugh Road and then went onto the Mearns - Stewarton back road. A rough 5 miles up to the top of the hill where I had a wee rest and a walk up the actual "field" bit of the hill to enjoy the view with my lunch and then an absolutely glorious 20 mile run to Stewarton and then Kilwinning which is almost all downhill. Amazing route which I'd recommend any Glasgow/Ayrshire cyclists to try.

On a clear day at the top of a hill its brilliant to look down to where you are going and see away in the distance. When I was at Kingsford yesterday I must've been able to see 40/50 miles in every direction and heading towards the sea and knowing you are on a downhill section is tremendous.

Sounds magic. We should create gpx files of our favourite local routes and upload them here.