Official P&b Cycling Thread

Couldn't agree more.

I've gone from an occassional ,social hybrid cyclist,to a totally addicted road bike enthusiast in just over 4 months and loving every minute of it.

I feel ,as a result I've benefitted in every way (except financially !!),as lost 2 stones in just over 3 months ,feeling much healthier and fitter.

Was quite content to go out every now and again for 10-15 mile jaunts,but now doing regular 30,40,50 mile runs without any problem of concern.

The only pisser is with the nights drawing in and weather worsening,I'm not going to be able to get out as much as I would like

However,determined to get out as much as I can and providing its not dangerous, not going to let bad weather give me an excuse not to cycle.

Have just bought an Endura Stealth jacket for winter use as meant to give great protection against the elements

M'oan the cyclists :lol:

Aye, the shittier weather is a challenge, but aside from blizzards, gale force winds, and ice, I'm willing to persevere (hand injuries permitting :ph34r: ).

I've got a fair old stock of waterproof and warmer kit, hi-viz jackets, and lights for commuting, but I'm torn between sticking with the road bike throughout the autumn/winter, and brushing the cobwebs off my trusty old MTB when the weather starts to deteriorate (as much to protect the road bike from the worst of the elements as anything else). This will be tough, though, as the MTB is so much bulkier, and I'm now used to negotiating the hills on my commute and weekend rides on my svelte Cube. The MTB is pretty much bomb-proof, though, and has hydraulic disc brakes which make a huge difference in poor weather.

I reckon I'll alternate between both, depending on the weather on a day-to-day basis.

Go Team P&B! :P

Edited by Drooper

Aye, the shittier weather is a challenge, but aside from blizzards, gale force winds, and ice, I'm willing to persevere (hand injuries permitting :ph34r: ).

I've got a fair old stock of waterproof and warmer kit, hi-viz jackets, and lights for commuting, but I'm torn between sticking with the road bike throughout the autumn/winter, and brushing the cobwebs off my trusty old MTB when the weather starts to deteriorate (as much to protect the road bike from the worst of the elements as anything else). This will be tough, though, as the MTB is so much bulkier, and I'm now used to negotiating the hills on my commute and weekend rides on my svelte Cube. The MTB is pretty much bomb-proof, though, and has hydraulic disc brakes which make a huge difference in poor weather.

I reckon I'll alternate between both, depending on the weather on a day-to-day basis.

Go Team P&B! :P

Think I might have to do the same,but tbh kicking myself for selling my Secteur,as I would have used that as my winter road bike.

I tentatively mentioned to the wife the other night there,it would be a good idea to look for a second hand road bike to use in the winter, which as you can imagine,didn't go down too well.

I was out on my hybrid a few days ago and although a great bike,it was like pedalling a bloody tractor compared to the Cube!

I've been trying to buy myself a specialized Crux elite for the winter thought I had it last night but out of stock in my size :-( and if I wanted it orederd in it would be the full price and not the sale price on dales :@ not amused! I'll stick to the racer for the time being!

Any one doing the Dumfermline sportive in october?

I've been trying to buy myself a specialized Crux elite for the winter thought I had it last night but out of stock in my size :-( and if I wanted it orederd in it would be the full price and not the sale price on dales :@ not amused! I'll stick to the racer for the time being!

Any one doing the Dumfermline sportive in october?

John,lowest price I saw it at was here http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=24663&categoryID=1235

Not as low as Dales,but at £849 £150 cheaper than everyone else

Think I might have to do the same,but tbh kicking myself for selling my Secteur,as I would have used that as my winter road bike.

I tentatively mentioned to the wife the other night there,it would be a good idea to look for a second hand road bike to use in the winter, which as you can imagine,didn't go down too well.

I was out on my hybrid a few days ago and although a great bike,it was like pedalling a bloody tractor compared to the Cube!

I had the same thoughts about a winter trainer but I've no chance either.

One option would be to sell the MTB but that would be a tough decision to make, and I wouldn't get anything like it's value (to me). Christ, I spent 350 quid on upgrading the forks and cranks alone, and I'd be very lucky to get that for the entire bike now. There's no way I can realistically justifiy buying another bike otherwise, even if the missus wouldn't castrate me for suggesting it.

TBH, I reckon I'll content mysef with what I have. Downgrading to a poorer road bike might just be frustrating anyway, so I might be better alternating with the MTB and that avoids any comparison (other than the obvious). I was happy enough to trundle along on the MTB before I had the road bike, and it will only be reserved for the shittier weather, so I'm sure I can live with it. Also, if I can haul myself up the 1 mile long 10% gradient climb to my house each day on the MTB, this will keep my fitness up for the new season.

See....you can talk yourself into anything :P

Edited by Drooper

Folks I cannot recommend enough that you get one of these for the winter

http://www.slanecycles.com/cycleops-mag-turbo-trainer-2011-p-6072.html?language=en&currency=GBP

Lets face it most of us work during the week and it will be dark when you get home. Stick an old bike (or your only one) in the turbo trainer and do an hour or so every second or third night and your fitness will be maintained no bother. I have been using mine for an hour, using the gears to make it tougher every 15 minutes and get more fom that than a 50 mile cycle. You will sweat your balls off and obviously don't have the benefit of the odd free wheel so it is 100% pedalling.

Stick Sky Go on your laptop and watch the footie while you are doing it - superb.:D

Jeez-o this cycling lark could be dear.

Bikes cost as much as my first car. First thing you're supposed to do is take off the pedals and buy a pair of spds, which of course means you've got to buy special shoes to fit the pedals. Then you've got to cough up for a mutant turtle hat, shorts so tight people can see if you're circumcised, boots for the shoes in case they get wet, swanky jackets, detachable sleeves (wot?) etc etc etc Now folk are talking about getting extra bikes in case the first ones don't like the cold or something.

I'm a skinflint - the one you'll see in the duffel coat biggrin.gif

had the same dilema today looked great for a little jaunt back to lochwinnoch and back. but my Mrs only got home from the hosp yesterday with our new little future cyclist boy lol so hopefully i can get back on the bike soon.

and NBB i agree it does cost alot to keep semi healthy. i keep wanting to upgrade to a road bike but money talks and for just now it's not talking for me lol

Edited by paisleysaints

had the same dilema today looked great for a little jaunt back to lochwinnoch and back. but my Mrs only got home from the hosp yesterday with our new little future cyclist boy lol so hopefully i can get back on the bike soon.

and NBB i agree it does cost alot to keep semi healthy. i keep wanting to upgrade to a road bike but money talks and for just now it's not talking for me lol

Fantastic stuff, mate!

Congratulations on your new arrival, and the very best wishes to you all for the future :thumsup2

Four of the guys from the club entered th Sportive and had I done so as well,I would have been riding with them

However....One of them came in second in 4 .53.59 and the others around 13th14th,15th with times of 5.14.15!!

In a way,now glad I decided not to enter,as would'nt have been able to keep up that pace for 100 miles!

UTN I think you would not have been far away from that time. I bet these guys didn't stop so most of them only beat me by 45 minutes in reality and I am confident that with a good group of riders I could have done that time.

Breaking the spirit of a potential P&B team ride in next years Challenge Ride I am going to register for the Sportive Ride again next year and will probably do so tomorrow.

Just feel that having done the route this year it will be a really good test to see how far I have come by next year as I will try and go as quick as I can.

Thought it was about time I got back in the saddle so just done a quick 23 miles in 1hr 18 minutes averaging 17.5mph.

Quite chuffed with that as I went a hilly route (including from Linlithgow High Street to Beecraigs) for those of you who know where that is!! :D

Thought it was about time I got back in the saddle so just done a quick 23 miles in 1hr 18 minutes averaging 17.5mph.

Quite chuffed with that as I went a hilly route (including from Linlithgow High Street to Beecraigs) for those of you who know where that is!! :D

Bloody hell,thats impressive stuff.

The wife and I actually drove up to Beecraigs for a wee walk at the weekend and I said I quite fancied cycling up there,but never realised how step and long the climb was..hats off to you sir.

Was at final Thursday training run last night and JohnJohn managed to come along ( he heard there were free pies in the pub afterwards!!).

Anyway,decent conditions and as last night tried to push like hell to avoid getting caught by some of the faster groups.

Managed to finnish 6th out of aroound 30 riders and although forgot to re set my bike computer,must have been averaging around 21 mph over the 16 miles (back me up here JohnJohn),which I was quite chuffed with.

Need to practice more on some of the long gradual hills though,as JJ will no doubt agree!

Bloody hell,thats impressive stuff.

The wife and I actually drove up to Beecraigs for a wee walk at the weekend and I said I quite fancied cycling up there,but never realised how step and long the climb was..hats off to you sir.

Was at final Thursday training run last night and JohnJohn managed to come along ( he heard there were free pies in the pub afterwards!!).

Anyway,decent conditions and as last night tried to push like hell to avoid getting caught by some of the faster groups.

Managed to finnish 6th out of aroound 30 riders and although forgot to re set my bike computer,must have been averaging around 21 mph over the 16 miles (back me up here JohnJohn),which I was quite chuffed with.

Need to practice more on some of the long gradual hills though,as JJ will no doubt agree!

Jumping off the front at the pineapple was a bit cheeky, next time give you need a partner in the break, haha I even done the work to pick you back up although I didn't realise this at the time until the 30 guys came passed me just before that S bend!

Yeah I was 20.9mph on my average I think I was about 25 of the 30 haha the last hill killed me so I just sat up on the final stretch. Not bad for not knowing what the hell to do!

The free pie's were great washed down the sausage rolls a treat :L

Great day for a wee hurl.

After slicing my finger on Monday, I hadn't been out for a ride in over a week. FFS, it must be an age thing, but even after a short break like that, I felt it a wee bit of a struggle at times, though I was trying to push myself having not been out for a while.

Weather looking decent for the daily commute this coming week, so looking forward to getting back into it :)

Edited by Drooper