Official P&b Cycling Thread

Hi guys, I've got a quick question, not entirely related to cycling but could think of nowhere else to put it.

I've been doing a lot of cycling recently but mainly in and around where I stay (Cumbernauld)

I'd like to start cycling to Uni (Caley) but I'd be looking to have a shower when I got here and the only ones the uni offers are in the gym, of which I'm not a member and therefor can't use.

So my question is, does anyone know of anywhere I'd be able to get a shower in the city centre?

My other option is joining the gym and scrapping my NL leisure membership which would mean I could use the Uni showers but the gym I'd be using wouldn't be as good as my current one.

Cheers!

Hi guys, I've got a quick question, not entirely related to cycling but could think of nowhere else to put it.

I've been doing a lot of cycling recently but mainly in and around where I stay (Cumbernauld)

I'd like to start cycling to Uni (Caley) but I'd be looking to have a shower when I got here and the only ones the uni offers are in the gym, of which I'm not a member and therefor can't use.

So my question is, does anyone know of anywhere I'd be able to get a shower in the city centre?

My other option is joining the gym and scrapping my NL leisure membership which would mean I could use the Uni showers but the gym I'd be using wouldn't be as good as my current one.

Cheers!

You're a student, FFS! Everyone expects you to be a smelly bastard! :P

Central Station used to have showers, and I think Queen St might have (had) too? The latter would be handier for you. Worth calling to check. They are kept in good order nowadays.

Turned out the Trek 1.1 the shop were offering,was 20010 version and smaller frame size than they told me they had :angry:

However,went to a different dealer and got a great price on a Giant Defy 3,complete with winter mudguards,(Yes MB mock if you may,as I have done in the past,but an absolute must for winter group cycling,as when out in group,you get soaked if behing somenoe who doesn't have them!!!)

Pick it up at 5pm tonight :)

JohnJohn...is this the same as your bike???

Defy_3_Triple_yellow_black_GE.jpg

Edited by Unleash The Nade

I have to say that when I can't use the bike for even a few days now, I actually think I get a bit depressed. In all seriousness.

I've noticed this pattern emerging over the course of 18 months or so, and it cannot be based on coincidence.

I'm a strong believer in the theory that being (and staying) physically fit enhances your mental health - I can't see past this, in fact.

Aye, that's the endorphins that are released during exercise. They're the things that make you feel great after a good run, but your body gets almost addicted to them. It's why body builders go to ridiculous lengths. When I was hitting the gym I went every second day for a good 2 hour session. If I missed a session I felt guilty, if I missed 2 I got depressed.

That's what makes the cycling lark addictive. If you suddenly take up regular exercise, your body isn't used to the endorphin rush and it craves more, which can only be satisfied by more exercise.

That's what makes the cycling lark addictive. If you suddenly take up regular exercise, your body isn't used to the endorphin rush and it craves more, which can only be satisfied by more exercise.

That probably explains why I always have an urge to walk home (which I then act on) on days when I don't take the bike.

I pulled out the old mountain bike for the last 2 runs, had spent time fixing it up. Amazed at 1. how much effort I had to put in to it to move at speed, 2. how much more comfortable it is on urban potholed roads and 3. how knackered I was after it!

Still good fun but be back on the road bike for a long run!

Thursday is Aldi bike gear day.

You can pick up some pretty decent kit for much cheapness if you're not brand-obssessed.

Please be wary of buying the clothes, especially the trousers / shorts which are essentials in keeping you comfortable. They are not the best quality and the track pump I bought when I first started fell to bits. Not sure what else they will sell, I think I bought their sunglasses too and they are still okay and will do me until I get a better pair.

Was out for a decent run yesterday.

Went from SQ to Linlithgow, up to Beecraigs again then kept going up the hills to Bathgate which were hills I would have struggled to drive up 6 months ago never mind cycle all the way up. Back to SQ through Armadale / Linlithgow and did the 38 miles in 2 hours 10 minutes which I was well please with considering that I was struggling to get to 8mph on certain parts of the climbs.

Really good testing route which gives you a bit of everything.

Got out for a run today just under 40 miles went from paisley over the erskine bridge to Glasgow centre then back to paisley. While on the run we seen a convoy of bikers going down the m8 hundreds of them a great sight to see anyone know why?

Edited by paisleysaints

Please be wary of buying the clothes, especially the trousers / shorts which are essentials in keeping you comfortable. They are not the best quality and the track pump I bought when I first started fell to bits. Not sure what else they will sell, I think I bought their sunglasses too and they are still okay and will do me until I get a better pair.

I'd steer clear of anything with seat pads. I got a LS top and it has been fine.

They sell hi-viz armbands with LEDs, and they've been good too.

They are doing waterproof over trousers at a tenner and I might check them out to have a spare pair to keep at work.

Their winter gloves are pretty good but not for the coldest days.

Edited by Drooper

Went out yesterday and did a 23 mile loop up around Stirling area.

Was a wee bit breezy in bits,but very enjoyable weather for time of year.

Unfortunately going down south tomorrow until Friday for various meetings,so won't be able to take advantage of the good weather :angry:

Thoroughly cleaned and fully lubricated my Cube at the weekend and now away for the winter

Weather looks set to be good midweek - might take a sneaky wee half day and go up the hills again on Friday...

Did a good run the other night MB,which you might be interested in and take in some coming from South Quensferry,as a few good wee hills,but on nice quiet road.

If you cycle along through Boness and head towards Grangenmouth,instead of following the A904 don into Grangemouth at the roundabout,go straight on into Wholeflats Road (A905) after about 200 yards,theres a road which turns up to the left,which takes you up past West lothian Golf Club.

We headed down into Linlithgow and back to Larbert,but there are quite a few options you could take heading back to SQ.to give you a good 20-30 mile run

Edited by Unleash The Nade