Golfers Thread

Gaz

Well that's just made my mind up to lump heavily on the USA. I'm absolutely furious Garcia's been picked, especially before Cabrera Bello. He looks a broken man and this is one competition you can rarely afford to carry players in. I've a feeling he might play the least out of all the players but its still a shite decision.
The other 3 I'm absolutely not surprised with, read an article before hand about the inexperience of the team and it basically set it up for 4 "experienced" heads.
Furious.

Garcia is a bizarre pick. Missed 7 cuts in his last 12 tournaments. It`s pretty much the same mistake that Clarke made picking Westwood and Kaymer last time when both were out of form.

I can understand Wallace not making a team that already has 5 rookies in it but Rafa was impressive in the last Ryder Cup  winning 2.5 points in 3 matches.   

Anyway hopefully Garcia will do well.

Agree with the consensus on here. I think USA will win by at least 6 points.

Those picks are terrible, and he's probably panicked after Olesen got the last automatic spot.

Poulter - fair enough, although his recent form isn't great.

Stenson - would've been in the team automatically if he'd been fit all year, but still some concerns over his fitness.

Casey - had a good start to the year but his form has tailed off over the summer

Garcia - first player to be selected as a wildcard having not made a cut at a major. One top 10 all season and a poorish record in recent Ryder Cups anyway.

I think Pieters and Cabrero-Bello can count themselves incredibly unlucky not to be picked. Wallace has had a great season but has no record to speak of in the high profile events and Bjorn was never going to select a rookie as a wild card.

13 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Agree with the consensus on here. I think USA will win by at least 6 points.

Those picks are terrible, and he's probably panicked after Olesen got the last automatic spot.

Poulter - fair enough, although his recent form isn't great.

Stenson - would've been in the team automatically if he'd been fit all year, but still some concerns over his fitness.

Casey - had a good start to the year but his form has tailed off over the summer

Garcia - first player to be selected as a wildcard having not made a cut at a major. One top 10 all season and a poorish record in recent Ryder Cups anyway.

I think Pieters and Cabrero-Bello can count themselves incredibly unlucky not to be picked. Wallace has had a great season but has no record to speak of in the high profile events and Bjorn was never going to select a rookie as a wild card.

Presumably they deliberately chose Sept 2nd for the qualification cut off date to coincide with the European Tour event in Denmark. That`s understandable from a marketing  and logistics point of view but given the PGA event over the same weekend didn`t finish until the Monday it probably cost the opportunity to get the strongest team out as Cabrera-Bello`s finish in that event would have seen him overtake Olesen for the last automatic spot had it counted. Of course Rafa could have played in the made in Denmark event had he chosen to. I also think it`s interesting that Garcia  chose to sit out that event. Perhaps worried about yet another missed cut at such a high profile time.

Edit to add I don`t necessarily agree with the view of a comfortable USA victory. Still too close to call in my view.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:
9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
Finau gets the last captain's pick from Furyk. A bit of a tough one for Schauffele but he'll no doubt make the next side.

Posted further up that it had to be between him and Schauffele, but even then I'm a wee bit surprised tbh that Finau got the nod.

I'll probably regret this when Finau ends up taking 4 points but from a European perspective I'd prefer to be facing him than Schauffele.

I've a soft spot for big Finau, I like him as a player and anytime I've seen him I've been impressed with his interviews.
That and the fact that in one of the majors this season he netted me £162 by leading after the first round.
It was the one he holed an ace then went over on his ankle.

I've a soft spot for big Finau, I like him as a player and anytime I've seen him I've been impressed with his interviews.
That and the fact that in one of the majors this season he netted me £162 by leading after the first round.
It was the one he holed an ace then went over on his ankle.
That was the masters. He did his ankle in the par three tournament

Jordan Speith will likely face a fine for failing to play in the required minimum number of events on the PGA tour this year. He had assumed that he would make the tour championship finals, but ended up 31st in the FedEx rankings so missed out on qualifying and is 1 tourney short of the minimum. In theory, he could lose his card, but given his status there is no chance of that happening.

Jordan Speith will likely face a fine for failing to play in the required minimum number of events on the PGA tour this year. He had assumed that he would make the tour championship finals, but ended up 31st in the FedEx rankings so missed out on qualifying and is 1 tourney short of the minimum. In theory, he could lose his card, but given his status there is no chance of that happening.

The absolute scenes of they did indeed take his card off him. I’d love to see him have to go through Q school