Golfers Thread

Gaz

Away golfing next couple of days.
Playing at Elgin tomorrow and Nairn Dunbar on Friday. Haven't played either before so looking forward to it.
I played cardrona and roxburghe last weekend roxburghe was class scenery was something else, course was superb too cardrona was nice and the staff were great I'd love to play it again IMG_20190818_143550.jpg

Playing at Elgin tomorrow and Nairn Dunbar on Friday. Haven't played either before so looking forward to it.
I played Elgin a couple of years ago and was impressed. Enjoy.
Im just starting playing golf, been to the range at mearns castle a few times, played the par 3 course at brucefields a couple of times and have started taking lessons. My question is, as i can only hit a max of 160 yard with my 5 wood should i avoid playing a full course? If i do decide to play a course is it ok for me to play from the front tees? Would be playing the 9 holers at mearns castle, brucefields and pokelmett.
On the majority of courses, accuracy is more important than length. If you're keeping the ball in play most of the time you'll be fine.

19 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Jealous. Two quality courses there.

I've not played any courses other than my own this year in the hope that I can convince my dad to play Castle Stuart with me next year. One I've been wanting to tick off the list for a while but he's a big fearty so always takes a fair bit of convincing to get him to play harder courses.

16 hours ago, cas79 said:

I played cardrona and roxburghe last weekend roxburghe was class scenery was something else, course was superb too cardrona was nice and the staff were great I'd love to play it again 

I've heard Roxburghe is superb but Cardona is very hit or miss with its condition? Only courses I've played in that region are Kelso and Melrose but I've got family down there's no excuse for not ticking Roxburghe off the list.

I've heard Roxburghe is superb but Cardona is very hit or miss with its condition? Only courses I've played in that region are Kelso and Melrose but I've got family down there's no excuse for not ticking Roxburghe off the list.

Aye pretty much spot on, cardona was a bit wet under foot and a club cart is a must, distance between holes is huge, cracking course but not worth the travel from glasgow, if you get a chance to play roxburghe go for it such a nice course tricky too,

I've not played any courses other than my own this year in the hope that I can convince my dad to play Castle Stuart with me next year. One I've been wanting to tick off the list for a while but he's a big fearty so always takes a fair bit of convincing to get him to play harder courses.

Go to Castle Stuart. It’s fantastic [emoji106]

42 minutes ago, cas79 said:

Aye pretty much spot on, cardona was a bit wet under foot and a club cart is a must, distance between holes is huge, cracking course but not worth the travel from glasgow, if you get a chance to play roxburghe go for it such a nice course tricky too,

Yeh pretty much the exact complaint I've heard about it from others, very poor drainage. Always looks lovely when driving past it but not sure I'll ever actually stop off and play Cardona.

27 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Go to Castle Stuart. It’s fantastic emoji106.png

So I've heard, part of a trio of courses in that general area including Royal Dornoch and Brora that I'm very keen to play but may have to let the bank balance recover between visits before I take in the other two! Castle Stuart is top of my list atm.

Played Elgin this afternoon. Very impressed. Played well which always helps of course [emoji41]

Edit to add that we’ve binned plans to play Nairn Dunbar today as it was absolutely pissing down. Disappointing. Hope to revisit soon.

11 hours ago, Mr Hahn said:

Castle Stuart is easy, wide open, just expensive is all.

Not a vintage weekend for the Scots on the tours. Jamieson and Drysdale had decent finishes at the European Masters in Switzerland, with a few other Scots making the cut but not having great weekends.

On the challenge tour only Scott Henry and Craig Ross made the cut at the KPMG Trophy in Belgium, but they are both outside the top 100 in the rankings.

Played yesterday with my brother in law at Whitecraigs.  I've not been able to get any cards in this year yet to get my handicap because of a shoulder injury and just being too busy.  I intended to get my card in yesterday as my first of 3, so I diligently went round, putting everything out and making sure I played provisionals after any wayward shots in case of lost balls.  Got back to the clubhouse to be told that as I hadn't signed in on the computer before I went out and stated I was going to put in a supplementary card, I couldn't enter that one.

f**k sake. 

On 02/09/2019 at 09:38, KnightswoodBear said:

Played yesterday with my brother in law at Whitecraigs.  I've not been able to get any cards in this year yet to get my handicap because of a shoulder injury and just being too busy.  I intended to get my card in yesterday as my first of 3, so I diligently went round, putting everything out and making sure I played provisionals after any wayward shots in case of lost balls.  Got back to the clubhouse to be told that as I hadn't signed in on the computer before I went out and stated I was going to put in a supplementary card, I couldn't enter that one.

f**k sake. 

Spoke to the office and they've entered my card manually for me from Sunday.  Played yesterday in the pishing rain and was 4 shots better off than Sunday when the weather was glorious.  Taking a 3 at the par 3 16th rather than a 9 as I did on Sunday *may* have played a part in that.

Just need to play in one of the Medals now and I'll finally get my handicap.  If I'm anything less than 28 I'll be astonished.

Always thought that I’d not get much distance out of a new driver, compared to my old SLDR that’s been in the bag for 5 years. Picked up an off the shelf M6 in the performance centre I go to, which has foresight golf simulators. Decided to hit the M6 a few times to see how it felt. Normally average around 240 carry, 255 total distance with the SLDR on the foresight range. The off the shelf M6 was averaging around 275 total distance on the 10 shots I hit with it. So even on that little, uncontrolled test with a random off the shelf club -I am losing around 20 yards off the tee by not having a new driver in the bag. Assuming numbers would be a little better if I was to get fitted properly as well.

Going to try and tick a few of the top 20 courses in Scotland off the list in the next 18 months, rather than going on a golf holiday, any recommendations would be welcome. At the moment Carnoustie, Kingsbarns and Royal Dornoch are on the list.

Always thought that I’d nflattering, h distance out of a new driver, compared to my old SLDR that’s been in the bag for 5 years. Picked up an off the shelf M6 in the performance centre I go to, which has foresight golf simulators. Decided to hit the M6 a few times to see how it felt. Normally average around 240 carry, 255 total distance with the SLDR on the foresight range. The off the shelf M6 was averaging around 275 total distance on the 10 shots I hit with it. So even on that little, uncontrolled test with a random off the shelf club -I am losing around 20 yards off the tee by not having a new driver in the bag. Assuming numbers would be a little better if I was to get fitted properly as well.
Going to try and tick a few of the top 20 courses in Scotland off the list in the next 18 months, rather than going on a golf holiday, any recommendations would be welcome. At the moment Carnoustie, Kingsbarns and Royal Dornoch are on the list.

Try the cobra f9, things a beast and pisses all over the new taylormade drivers callaways epic flash is a good shout too, some of the distances you get in the booths compared to on course can be very flattering,
I'd love to play some of they courses too some are just way to expensive for me, played trump Aberdeen some course i highly recommend it

Try the cobra f9, things a beast and pisses all over the new taylormade drivers callaways epic flash is a good shout too, some of the distances you get in the booths compared to on course can be very flattering,

I recently bought a new Ping G driver after testing out a few in one of those trackman booth things. I could not hit the Taylor Made driver to save myself and the Ping was going 10-15 yards further than the Cobra F9, the Callaway Rogue and a Titleist one. Ping wasn’t a brand that I had even thought about until the guy in the shop suggested I gave them a go.

If you were to ask me prior to that booth session how far I hit my driver I probably would’ve said in the region of 270 yards so it was a wee bit of a shock to find that i’m really around the 250-255 mark. I’m hitting the ball off the tee a lot better/straighter though so i’m not complaining too much.