Golfers Thread

Gaz

This will be a deeply unpopular opinion I know, but I can't help still wanting Sergio to do well.  He pre-qualified (well, lost a playoff then got in as an alternate) for the US Open this year, played really well at Pinehurst, and finished 12th. We've known for years that he's often a grumpy, petulant, childish tool. Some of the stuff he has done has been indefensible...

... but his historic bad behaviour didn't stop me from cheering him on when he won the Masters, or for every single one of the Ryder Cup points he's taken off the Yanks, as the all time top European, and I'm very 'meh' on LIV and all that drama. 

To me, he's still just one of the best European golfers ever, and has been very unlucky not to have won multiple majors. I'd like to see him contend once more and I'd certainly rather see him in the Open than not. *ducks*

Been some quite bizarre stuff going on with the Olympic golf with several countries saying they won't send their golfers even though they qualified in the top 60 of the Olympic rankings.

Joost Luiten took the Dutch Olympic committee to court yesterday (and won) after they had imposed additional criteria. Others have been told that they aren't going as they don't have a realistic chance of winning a medal, despite the men's silver and bronze at the last games being won by players ranked 161st (Sabatini) and 181st (CT Pan). Pan came through a 7 man playoff to win the bronze which included McIlroy and Morikawa.

Edited by peasy23

5 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

This will be a deeply unpopular opinion I know, but I can't help still wanting Sergio to do well.  He pre-qualified (well, lost a playoff then got in as an alternate) for the US Open this year, played really well at Pinehurst, and finished 12th. We've known for years that he's often a grumpy, petulant, childish tool. Some of the stuff he has done has been indefensible...

... but his historic bad behaviour didn't stop me from cheering him on when he won the Masters, or for every single one of the Ryder Cup points he's taken off the Yanks, as the all time top European, and I'm very 'meh' on LIV and all that drama. 

To me, he's still just one of the best European golfers ever, and has been very unlucky not to have won multiple majors. I'd like to see him contend once more and I'd certainly rather see him in the Open than not. *ducks*

Take your incredibly sensible and valid reason……and get to f**k!