Darts...

Sideshow

Just so you know, there wasnt a 100+ average at Lakeside at all in last years tournament, and that was with Anderson, Webster and Whitlock. To say the standard of darts is the same is a bit of a lie. In saying that, I love the Lakeside as its exciting ad you dont know who will win.

That is why i highlighted the fact that i meant OVERALL the standard is very similar, don't just be blinded by the SKY publicity machine highlighting the 100+ averages, there was a fair amount of shit trown at the Ally Pally as well (just ask Wayne Mardle to name but one) Take away Taylor, Whitlock & Lewis (for the first two rounds) the rest were no better than the majority of the guys at Lakeside.

Don't get me wrong, the top guys at the PDC are superb throwers, under massive pressure most of the time, but it just seems to be that some people belittle the Lakeside tournament because they listen to the ultrahype from SKY and don't look at the bare facts that in general the standard is very similar. <_<

Just so you know, there wasnt a 100+ average at Lakeside at all in last years tournament, and that was with Anderson, Webster and Whitlock. To say the standard of darts is the same is a bit of a lie. In saying that, I love the Lakeside as its exciting ad you dont know who will win.

Doing a like for like comparison of tournament averages of the top 10, only one out of 20 match ups in the last 2 years results in the BDO player having a higher average, Fitton having a higher average than Part, and that was in a spectacularly poor PDC year when even Kirk Shepherd managed to get to the final.

The PDC is consistently about 3 points ahead on a like for like match up.

BDO 2009 v PDC 2009

Simon Whitlock 93.12 v Phil Taylor 105.31

Martin Adams 92.83 v Raymond van Barneveld 100.05

Gary Robson 92.59 v Colin Osborne 96.37

Gary Anderson 92.46 v Andy Hamilton 95.19

Darryl Fitton 92.29 v Robert Thornton 95.04

Ted Hankey 92.20 v Andy Jenkins 94.57

Stephen Bunting 91.48 v Jelle Klaasen 94.05

Scott Waites 91.12 v Wayne Mardle 93.83

Tony O'Shea 90.68 v Michael Barnard 93.65

Ross Montgomery 89.61 v Vincent van der Voort 93.44

BDO 2008 PDC 2008

Darryl Fitton 95.43 v John Part 94.42

Mark Webster 92.28 v Matt Clark 93.88

Simon Whitlock 92.14 v Phil Taylor 93.67

Martin Adams 91.88 v Tony Eccles 93.15

Robert Thornton 91.65 v Mervyn King 93.14

Brian Woods 91.08 v Roland Scholten 93.07

Davy Richardson 89.91 v Adrian Lewis 92.26

Co Stompé 89.30 v Kevin Painter 92.23

Scott Waites 88.58 v Dennis Priestley 92.06

Gary Anderson 88.56 v Vincent van der Voort 91.70

In this year's PDC the top 15 tournament averages were all higher than the highest BDO average of last year, when the BDO is finished lets see how this years figures pan out.

Doing a like for like comparison of tournament averages of the top 10, only one out of 20 match ups in the last 2 years results in the BDO player having a higher average, Fitton having a higher average than Part, and that was in a spectacularly poor PDC year when even Kirk Shepherd managed to get to the final.

The PDC is consistently about 3 points ahead on a like for like match up.

BDO 2009 v PDC 2009

Simon Whitlock 93.12 v Phil Taylor 105.31

Martin Adams 92.83 v Raymond van Barneveld 100.05

Gary Robson 92.59 v Colin Osborne 96.37

Gary Anderson 92.46 v Andy Hamilton 95.19

Darryl Fitton 92.29 v Robert Thornton 95.04

Ted Hankey 92.20 v Andy Jenkins 94.57

Stephen Bunting 91.48 v Jelle Klaasen 94.05

Scott Waites 91.12 v Wayne Mardle 93.83

Tony O'Shea 90.68 v Michael Barnard 93.65

Ross Montgomery 89.61 v Vincent van der Voort 93.44

BDO 2008 PDC 2008

Darryl Fitton 95.43 v John Part 94.42

Mark Webster 92.28 v Matt Clark 93.88

Simon Whitlock 92.14 v Phil Taylor 93.67

Martin Adams 91.88 v Tony Eccles 93.15

Robert Thornton 91.65 v Mervyn King 93.14

Brian Woods 91.08 v Roland Scholten 93.07

Davy Richardson 89.91 v Adrian Lewis 92.26

Co Stompé 89.30 v Kevin Painter 92.23

Scott Waites 88.58 v Dennis Priestley 92.06

Gary Anderson 88.56 v Vincent van der Voort 91.70

In this year's PDC the top 15 tournament averages were all higher than the highest BDO average of last year, when the BDO is finished lets see how this years figures pan out.

Anyone who knows their darts knows the difference, good of you to provide the evidence MT.

I don't let the gulf take away from the enjoyment of the Lakeside, it's at least good to see the emerging talent coming through as most will still aspire to the Lakeside, although that will disipate through time.

Also played about with a few more figures, to take account of the fact that the PDC has 64 players (I've discounted preliminary round matches) compared with the BDO 32 player tournament.

BDO median 2008 (the average of the 16th and 17th highest averages); 86.82

PDC median 2008 (the average of the 32nd and 33rd highest averages); 87.21

BDO median 2009 (the average of the 16th and 17th highest averages); 85.21

PDC median 2009 (the average of the 32nd and 33rd highest averages); 88.23

Reducing each field to 32 (i.e. taking the top 32 averages from each championship) to give identical sample sizes gives;

BDO median 2008; 86.82

PDC median 2008; 92.05

BDO median 2009; 85.21

PDC median 2009; 90.40

I don't think there is any doubt as to what tournament has the higher standard, especially when looking at the top set of figures on this post, people who are 32nd in the PDC averages are still higher than those in 16th place in the BDO averages.

Just watched Ross "The Boss" Montgomery reduce his children to tears and the viewing public to hysterics with a truly abysmal defeat to someone called Garry Thomson. Ross led 2-1 in the final set and had at least 7 darts to win the match with his opponent still around 300. Needless to say he didn't come close to a double and ended up losing a match the other bloke couldn't believe he'd won. Think the winning average was about 75. Montgomery was apparently the 6th seed and if so it shows how truly awful the standard in the BDO is. The bloke hit a 1 with almost every 3 darts aimed at the 20. Truly, truly dreadful.

Edited by RedWeb

Australian bloke on just now who is the most nervous looking player I've ever seen. Has dropped 2/3 darts, nearly fallen over twice, hit 3 and then managed a double 1 when going for 60.

Terry Jenkins in the crowd which is good to see, I wonder due to the shenanigans and impending ban looming in the PDC a possible switchover to the BDO...............

I thought it was Andy Jenkins looking at a ban?

Has Terry been up to stuff too?

I only saw the very end of the game, so i did'nt see all the ropey darts etc, but if he wen't up there rat arsed like they are suggesting then that is a disgrace.

The Blazers should surely have a limit on the amount of alchohol they allow the players to consume prior to a game, if the fucking idiots can't control themselves that is.

I have tried to stand up for the standard of the BDO guys on this thread but wasters like that guy don't help the cause, why would you travel right round the world, spending your sponsorship money, just to get shitfaced and embarrass yourself.

Apparently he was nervous!

I thought it was Andy Jenkins looking at a ban?

Has Terry been up to stuff too?

Think they had a handbags at dawn showdown which made the PDC ban Andy Jenkins from December past for a few months while Terry got banned at the same time he appealed allowing him to play in their world championship, Unsure as to when the hearing for Bullys appeal is tho.