Darts...

Sideshow

I can't stand Taylor but at the end of the day he has been playing against relative nobodies. When he does come up against a real contender he'll up his performance big style. I think the reason he hasn't played well is because he hasn't had to. No way Laursen etc were going to trouble him. Also, Hopefully Gary will keep going the way he has been and he has a real chance of winning it this year. Been very impressed with his consistency this week.

Off to lakeside to cheer on mark barilli and the other Scots!

Just been onto the Lakeside tournament website, i can't understand the seedings.

Surely the top players can't be performing that badly for most of them not to appear in the top sixteen......

2011 Lakeside men's seeds:

1 Martin Adams (Eng)

2 Stuart Kellett (Eng)

3 Dean Winstanley (Eng)

4 Steve West (Eng)

5 Joey Ten Berge (Ned)

6 Scott Waites (Eng)

7 Ross Montgomery (Sco)

8 Tony O'Shea (Eng)

9 Willy van de Wiel (Ned)

10 Garry Thompson (Eng)

11 Brian Woods (Eng)

12 Mark Barilli (Sco)

13 Gary Robson (Eng)

14 Robbie Green (Eng)

15 Scott Mitchell (Eng)

16 Dave Prins (Eng)

No Ted Hankey, Martin Phillips, Daryl Fitton etc, etc, and no disrespect to Dean Winstanley and Stuart Kellet but who are they? 2nd & 3rd seeds!

Edited by northernscum

Who is Stuart Kellet? Won numerous opens(ranking events you know) this year and was runner up in the world masters. that's why he's so high in the rankings. Obviously Hankey and the likes haven't been doing well in the opens. To be fair, when some of these guys know they have qualified for the next years lakeside automatically, the need to travel all over for points isn't there and they concentrate more on making cash from exhibitions etc...

Who is Stuart Kellet? Won numerous opens(ranking events you know) this year and was runner up in the world masters. that's why he's so high in the rankings. Obviously Hankey and the likes haven't been doing well in the opens. To be fair, when some of these guys know they have qualified for the next years lakeside automatically, the need to travel all over for points isn't there and they concentrate more on making cash from exhibitions etc...

Go's to show i don't really follow BDO nearly as much as i used to!smile.gif

I think you're right about the likes of Hankey not chasing points once they have qualified but IMO that shows how far down the priority list this tournament has fallen with these guys when they go for the easy option of exhibitions based on their past success rather than gaining the points to help their draw to maybe win the trophy again.

Surely tournament darts is the best way to keep them sharp enough for this tournament and if the likes of Hankey & co were playing to their potential they would earn as much if not more than on the exhibition scene whilst keeping their match sharpness.

I agree but they are obviously happy with their lot. At this stage of their careers, the PDC should be the place to be with the almost all the top players playing there and lots of competitions for good money. But the competition isn't as tough in the BDO and it gives them better chances to win. Each to their own but if I had their talent I know where I would want to play. Had to laugh at the joke of the World Masters, any big tournament where 8 players get a bye to the last 16 is a joke, when Tony Green asked in the final who Stuart Kellet was! He'd never heard of him! The world number two at the time...

Anderson can win it. Barney definately won't.

Explain this logic.5 time world champion won't win it but anderson who you think is the biggest bottler in the game can ?

I want anderson to win everymatch,he is playing the best darts in the tournament.The time for him to deliver is now.

Explain this logic.5 time world champion won't win it but anderson who you think is the biggest bottler in the game can ?

I want anderson to win everymatch,he is playing the best darts in the tournament.The time for him to deliver is now.

Barney of late has also been a bottler (although the grit he showed last night was promising), so I'd put him in the same vain as Anderson. Both have a tendency to bottle it.

The point DomDom is making though, I think, is that Anderson that has turned up to this tourney so far, will shit all over Barney and, possibly, Taylor.

Unless the player playing has interesting quips (like Van Der Voorts fast play and enjoyable personality), I always support the player who has the biggest chance of beating Taylor (even if it means supporting Wade). Anderson has a better chance of beating Taylor than Barney. By a mile.

Anderson has shown some decent bottle in this tourney. More than I can remember. I've always had a big problem with him getting to the finishing line under pressure, but he turned it up near the end against Priestley. He showed that he can have that one big moment that can turn him back around and that is something that he has always lacked.

Barneveld quite simply doesn't look good enough at the moment.

Unless the player playing has interesting quips (like Van Der Voorts fast play and enjoyable personality), I always support the player who has the biggest chance of beating Taylor (even if it means supporting Wade). Anderson has a better chance of beating Taylor than Barney. By a mile.

Yup.

Big Vinny will always be my favourite. That theme tune has only added to my love for the guy. I hope he continues his run and gets a wildcard slot.

Edited by DomDom

The Wiki article for 'Give it Up' has been changed to include a reference to Vincent van der Voort and Nick van den Berg (Mosconi Cup Pool player) as well as a host of footballers who have had the song amended for them biggrin.gif Pretty much fair game for any 5 syllable sportsman.

Dont know if it will have the same effect with Peter Weatherson....

I like both to be honest, would say Anderson just edges it as I want him qualify for the PL.

Anderson will get in the pl no bother.There is four wildcards this year so they will put in the players who the fans will want to come and see.Nicholson will still get one i think even after a dissapointing tournament.

If anderson keeps up this form he will beat barney but thats a big if.Barney could turn on the style.What a match its going to be.

I hope Anderson pumps Barney it would be great to see a Scot lift the World Championship on the 3rd of January.

Why is Barney so universally loved anyway? Is it just down to his 9 darters and success over the years? He's not exactly brimming with personality to be honest.

I'll love anyone who beats Taylor in this tournament to be honest.