Rugby Union

kiwififer

Checking that draw was like being in a horror movie. Horrible stuff for Glasgow.

Edinburgh will have a good foundation as they should be bonus pointing Timisoara Saracens home and away but Quins and Stade may have too much for them.

However, as a Warriors fan, this terrifies me.

Yep. Wonder if it would be better to have the tourney expand to 8 groups of 4. Diluting the standard slightly tho that maybe b no bad thing if 2nd place gets you a knockout slot. Entirely possibly at moment to be out after 2 or 3 games. It would also make the challenge cup less of a leap for the likes of Romanian etc qualifiers

Nick de Luca off to Wasps from Biarritz. I can't see him starting much but you never know.

Nick de Luca! There's a throwback, completely forgot about him. Looked like a cracking prospect when he first came onto the scene then AFAIK he just lost all confidence didn't he? That and/or injury.

Nick de Luca off to Wasps from Biarritz. I can't see him starting much but you never know.

I think it is just a short term move until Beale arrives from the Waratahs arrives and is fit 

He was a regular in a very poor Edinburgh team. The funny thing is that since he left they've beaten us overall in the 1872 Cup the last 2 years lol.

He was also a regular in a poor Scotland team and the defeat up at Pittodrie vs Tonga probably got him his ticket. I was at that game. I've never been so cold and miserable at a sporting event in life as this.

Nick de Luca! There's a throwback, completely forgot about him. Looked like a cracking prospect when he first came onto the scene then AFAIK he just lost all confidence didn't he? That and/or injury.

Same. I always felt sorry for andy robinson in that he had the forwards performing superbly but had very few really talented backs to pick from. We used to dominate matches without tries and therefore winning and nz apart we were rarely thumped. Shows how our back line options have changed in such a short time when ndl is a forgotten man.

Same. I always felt sorry for andy robinson in that he had the forwards performing superbly but had very few really talented backs to pick from. We used to dominate matches without tries and therefore winning and nz apart we were rarely thumped. Shows how our back line options have changed in such a short time when ndl is a forgotten man.

It is a strange one isn't it? Not so long ago we had dinosaurs such as Andy Henderson and Graeme Morrison to pick from, now all of a sudden we have Scott, Bennett and Dunbar who are all very capable international class centres.

Was NDL not one of the poor guys that suffered under Hadden's tenure? Seem to recall him butchering a few guys' confidence through sheer mismanagement.

It is a strange one isn't it? Not so long ago we had dinosaurs such as Andy Henderson and Graeme Morrison to pick from, now all of a sudden we have Scott, Bennett and Dunbar who are all very capable international class centres.

Was NDL not one of the poor guys that suffered under Hadden's tenure? Seem to recall him butchering a few guys' confidence through sheer mismanagement.

Phil godman was another one. Had a shocker v Italy then totally thrown under the bus. Never recovered his confidence. Can add horne and taylor to that list of centres, even vernon.

Eta probably the single biggest sru fubar re backs was not developing chris Patterson at stand off.

Edited by dogmc

Phil godman was another one. Had a shocker v Italy then totally thrown under the bus. Never recovered his confidence. Can add horne and taylor to that list of centres, even vernon.

Eta probably the single biggest sru fubar re backs was not developing chris Patterson at stand off.

21-0 inside 7 minutes, what a day!

They did give Patterson a go at 10 but it was far, far too late. I don't think he'd have been able to do much with what was a pretty stinking backline anyway.

We're pretty lucky to have the options we have in midfield just now, the first time in over a decade we've looked remotely menacing offensively. Couple of injuries or loss of form anywhere in the team from 1-23 and we're potentially fucked though.

Can we all just pretend that the Williams/Hadden years didn't ever really happen? I think it's my only psychological coping mechanism.

Round about that time, Gordon Bullock was my neighbour. On occasion he'd pop round and tell us about the nepotism going round. Some of the players were not being picked on merit. One player around about that time retired because he was fined for giving away his SRU tie in lieu of an autograph to a ten year old kid.

Can we all just pretend that the Williams/Hadden years didn't ever really happen? I think it's my only psychological coping mechanism.

Round about that time, Gordon Bullock was my neighbour. On occasion he'd pop round and tell us about the nepotism going round. Some of the players were not being picked on merit. One player around about that time retired because he was fined for giving away his SRU tie in lieu of an autograph to a ten year old kid.

Yeah it was horrible. Mind budge pountney sounding off about the way players were treated. The blazers used to run up massive bar bills during away games then pontificate to the players. Bad times.

The motivational methods of Williams were something else, line up the players and basically tell them they're shite. Well, they weren't very good admittedly.

Supposedly training sessions included basic passing exercises we'd have completed at the age of ten 😂😂

Edited by BuddieInDundee

Yeah it was horrible. Mind budge pountney sounding off about the way players were treated. The blazers used to run up massive bar bills during away games then pontificate to the players. Bad times.

No way?! I'd never heard of that, utterly mental considering they closed down the Borders' franchise in the same period!

On 7/5/2016 at 0:29 PM, BuddieInDundee said:

21-0 inside 7 minutes, what a day!

They did give Patterson a go at 10 but it was far, far too late. I don't think he'd have been able to do much with what was a pretty stinking backline anyway.

We're pretty lucky to have the options we have in midfield just now, the first time in over a decade we've looked remotely menacing offensively. Couple of injuries or loss of form anywhere in the team from 1-23 and we're potentially fucked though.

What a day indeed. Remember leaving after 70 mins. Simply I'd had enough!

Never understood why Godman was so often ahead of Parks. Parks was inconsistent but there was the times when he was outstanding and he always seemed to give it his all even if he individually wasn't playing well.