Rugby Union

kiwififer

15 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

It was a solid performance today. If Laidlaw had his shooting boots on we would have won.

That Hamish boy looked the weakest link.

Hamish Watson? Only thing I can remember him doing in a Scotland shirt is getting binned along with Ben Toolis when we chucked it against Italy a couple of years ago.

He didn't get binned today so it's progression.

2 hours ago, BuddieInDundee said:

In Russell's defence that kick was made under immense pressure from three incoming Aussies.

I'd say the stupid penalty given away by Barclay (who FWIW was outstanding) when he inexplicably played the ball on his back at the formation of a ruck was the main catalyst for the resulting implosion. Can't be too harsh on Horne as Kuridrani was running at some pace on the outside of his weak shoulder, very difficult tackle to make as you would know if you play(ed) rugby. All in all, shit happens. Even with 14 men teams like Australia are capable of producing moments like that, I'm content (for now) to be just competing with them like that after the shambles that was 2000-2014.

So, as GAD said not necessarily a bottle job, I'd argue the infamous QF involving Joubert was more of a bottle job as we had the simplest of tasks in securing our own line out to make it through. Regardless of the appalling refereeing that followed, making that big a mistake at that point of the game is inexcusable and far more of a 'bottle job' IMO.

Yep. In fact, I think with the possession they had and the back row problems Scotland had it would have been more of a bottle job if Australia hadn't scored at the end. Some of our defence was heroic.

I was about to post that the Welsh look like they will see out a win in Cardiff.  The Argies just kicked a penalty.  21-20 and 6 mins left.

Great news, although England look excellent and Ireland looking very decent, Wales look like an absolute gang. Along with France being equally shite for years we may well have a decent 6N.

4 minutes ago, BuddieInDundee said:

Great news, although England look excellent and Ireland looking very decent, Wales look like an absolute gang. Along with France being equally shite for years we may well have a decent 6N.

24-20 for Wales after Argentina gave away two needless penalties.  Neither team impressed.

Ireland up next vs Canada which will be a procession.  Canada were pretty decent about 20 years ago for a season or two but I doubt they'll offer much.

Once again Scotland go cap in hand to the masses looking for the sympathy vote. I for one have had enough. I demand a win over Argentina, Georgia and Italy, even though a win vs Georgia and Italy is hardly much to celebrate. Then we can MAYBE edge the Top 8 ahead of the WC draw.

Against the teams who are serious about winning things in the 6N, we'll get our usual gubbings at Twickers and Paris and get beat by the Welsh and Irish.

Edited by come on shire

Once again Scotland go cap in hand to the masses looking for the sympathy vote. I for one have had enough. I demand a win over Argentina, Georgia and Italy, even though a win vs Georgia and Italy is hardly much to celebrate. Then we can MAYBE edge the Top 8 ahead of the WC draw.

Against the teams who are serious about winning things in the 6N, we'll get our usual gubbings at Twickers and Paris and get beat by the Welsh and Irish.

Is draw made from rankings immediately after 6 nations? If so Wales beating Argentina is definitely good news

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Is draw made from rankings immediately after 6 nations? If so Wales beating Argentina is definitely good news

May next year I believe. Allows Japan to plan but also they couldn't do it after the end of season summer tours. This is because a lot of the home nations may not get 'true' results coz of missing huge chunks to the Lions. I.e. in 2013 when a very depleted Welsh squad lost in Japan.

I can see that Welsh fans are unhappy with the manner if their win vs Argentina. If we beat them in similar fashion we'll just accept it with blind delight. Shows the attitude between winners and losers. I'd love to have been Welsh, English or Irish as opposed to Scottish when it comes to international rugby. Joy and success is all I'd ever know :)

May next year I believe. Allows Japan to plan but also they couldn't do it after the end of season summer tours. This is because a lot of the home nations may not get 'true' results coz of missing huge chunks to the Lions. I.e. in 2013 when a very depleted Welsh squad lost in Japan.

I can see that Welsh fans are unhappy with the manner if their win vs Argentina. If we beat them in similar fashion we'll just accept it with blind delight. Shows the attitude between winners and losers. I'd love to have been Welsh, English or Irish as opposed to Scottish when it comes to international rugby. Joy and success is all I'd ever know [emoji4]

I actually think we will thump Argentina tbh

Woop-e-do. Knighthoods all round. To England and Ireland it'd be like swatting a fly off of their shoulder

Thought I was debating with someone who had an iota of intellect.
A win against Argentina and a home win against Georgia, Italy and( Ireland or Wales) would probably guarantee us top 8... which should be the minimal aim pre world cup draw

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Thought I was debating with someone who had an iota of intellect.
A win against Argentina and a home win against Georgia, Italy and( Ireland or Wales) would probably guarantee us top 8... which should be the minimal aim pre world cup draw

Yeah, looking back I think I've been a bit flippant so I apologise. Still just very disappointed over yesterday.

However I fully agree that this will be the minimal requirement. I'd fancy us beating Wales instead of Ireland at this point in time though.

Just a casual viewer

so Its a bit confusing just now there seem to be two different tournaments running..  I've no idea  is it just friendlies.

when did they start having advertising i saw Argentina and wales both had sponsors on their shirts

2 hours ago, babu said:

Just a casual viewer

so Its a bit confusing just now there seem to be two different tournaments running..  I've no idea  is it just friendlies.

when did they start having advertising i saw Argentina and wales both had sponsors on their shirts

They're known as autumn tests. The southern teams come here. In the summer it's vice versa.

They're not friendlies per se as they all go towards international ranking points. Especially true now as the pool draw for the World Cup in Japan in 2019 is drawn in May next year. You want to be top 8 when the 6 Nations finish in March to get into the top 2 pots.

Shirt sponsorship has been happening in international rugby since the game went pro in the mid/late 90's. More so now as there's loads of money to be made now in the game.

I suspect the 'other' tournament you're talking about is the one between Australia, NZ, England and Scotland. That's Rugby League which is a completely different sport.

Edited by come on shire

Will be interesting to see the team this week against Argentina, which is really a must win if we want to make the to 8 in the rankings. (I would have taken 2 wins and a close game vs Australia before we started the AI's) I would assume we will have Strauss in at 8, if Wilson isn't fit, unless he brings de preez straight into the team. Only other change I can see is Seymour in for Visser, not sure why Seymour didn't play last week, just heard personal reasons.

On the Australian game we just didn't get our hands on the ball during that last 10 minutes, and it seemed to be numerous things, kicks either down their throats, not long enough, giving away silly penalties, or being to conservative in defence and not going for turnovers. Even at the try if Visser is watching the tackle rather than the big Australian overlap, isn't of running back to cover he had the chance to stop Kuridrani stretching over. To be fair it would be hard to say he has done the wrong thing, but its the small things that have done us.

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

So Ratu Tagive for Glasgow. Obviously a name we are all familiar with! In seriousness looks a pacey and powerful winger. Time at the Brumbies and in NRL won't have harmed him a bit. Could be good cover but I wonder what that says for Junior Bulumakau?

Im surprised he has never had more game time. He has looked ok on the limit times I've seen him play (or more accurately big and quick) but I would have put him on a par with Lee Jones at least. Has he just been away with the 7's or has he been stuck playing club rugby?