Rugby Union

kiwififer

Yep, absolute farce. 8 or 9 weeks until the league is due to start and we don't even know who will be in it never mind the format.

This.

I was just coming on to post something similar. I'm all for expansion and improving the league and no doubt the SA teams would. But it all seems to be so slap dash and flung together at the last minute.

Just read an article in the Sunday Times, maybe that's where Tom English got his info for the BBC but it's quoting the same schedule. Two conferences, top 3 into a play off and three Derby games against Edinburgh. The silence from Pro12/14 and the clubs is pretty poor, not even a holding statement saying when a decision will be made

Just read an article in the Sunday Times, maybe that's where Tom English got his info for the BBC but it's quoting the same schedule. Two conferences, top 3 into a play off and three Derby games against Edinburgh. The silence from Pro12/14 and the clubs is pretty poor, not even a holding statement saying when a decision will be made

As said above its a mess. Surely better to retain current format for this season and properly plan for next.....

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 23:39, John Lambies Doos said:

Southern Kings won in Argentina today against Jaguars (basically Argentina team). Great result and potentially good team

Maybe so but generally poor results allied to poor crowds i.e. approx. 10,000 home fans max in 50,000 seater stadiums is probs why they're in for the chop.  They're hardly looked at regarding SA selection to boot.  This in a country where rugby union competes with cricket as the national sport.

The other team in for the chop is the Melbourne Rebels.  Forgetting cricket (as that's a summer sport) they can't compete with Aussie Rules which can get crowds of 90,000 for a midweek match, Melbourne Storm have better results and crowds in rugby league and football (soccer as the locals call it) is on the rise with the large Greek and Croat ethnic minorities who are naturally footy daft.  Rumour is they're getting put into the NZ domestic league.

2 hours ago, come on shire said:

Maybe so but generally poor results allied to poor crowds i.e. approx. 10,000 home fans max in 50,000 seater stadiums is probs why they're in for the chop.  They're hardly looked at regarding SA selection to boot.  This in a country where rugby union competes with cricket as the national sport.

The other team in for the chop is the Melbourne Rebels.  Forgetting cricket (as that's a summer sport) they can't compete with Aussie Rules which can get crowds of 90,000 for a midweek match, Melbourne Storm have better results and crowds in rugby league and football (soccer as the locals call it) is on the rise with the large Greek and Croat ethnic minorities who are naturally footy daft.  Rumour is they're getting put into the NZ domestic league.

id been wondering what would happen to the rebels. I am generally happy with the direction the pro 12 is going and look forward to the inclusion of SA teams

Im sure Thomson is eligible for Scotland already, although has played for SA at U20. Good signing and looked good while on loan at Glasgow last year.

Im sure the pro12 clubs will be happy with the additional £500 - 800k a year in TV money if the SA teams join up. I have read people talking about poor crowds for the 2 SA teams in Super Rugby, but 7-8 thousand a game is fairly decent by Pro12 standards, and may improve given they are not competing with any other rugby. I wouldn't be suprised if the reached some agreement to loan some of the fringe sprinboks to give them some added experience.

Im sure Thomson is eligible for Scotland already, although has played for SA at U20. Good signing and looked good while on loan at Glasgow last year.
Im sure the pro12 clubs will be happy with the additional £500 - 800k a year in TV money if the SA teams join up. I have read people talking about poor crowds for the 2 SA teams in Super Rugby, but 7-8 thousand a game is fairly decent by Pro12 standards, and may improve given they are not competing with any other rugby. I wouldn't be suprised if the reached some agreement to loan some of the fringe sprinboks to give them some added experience.

I put poor crowds down to the fact they are the struggling teams in super rugby. I don't think they will struggle in the pro 12 . Top half is achievable I reckon

From what i've read it looks like Washington is confirmed team for the Pro12/14/15 starting in 2018, sharing the new stadium with DC united.

NY was the preferred location from the Pro12 but seemingly a suitable ground couldn't be sourced, Houston had a bid in as seemingly that is a big market for rugby in the US, but was deemed to be too far travel wise so Washington in the choice.

28 minutes ago, honestly united said:

From what i've read it looks like Washington is confirmed team for the Pro12/14/15 starting in 2018, sharing the new stadium with DC united.

NY was the preferred location from the Pro12 but seemingly a suitable ground couldn't be sourced, Houston had a bid in as seemingly that is a big market for rugby in the US, but was deemed to be too far travel wise so Washington in the choice.

Cracking. I've always wanted to go to Washington and hopefully now have a proper excuse.

It's also not that far from NYC, so hopefully they stick it in a good place in the calendar!

Cracking. I've always wanted to go to Washington and hopefully now have a proper excuse.
It's also not that far from NYC, so hopefully they stick it in a good place in the calendar!

Be handy of Glasgow were to run a free bus like the embra game......one can hope [emoji38]

This all smacks of desperation from Pro 12, stories leaking like a sieve about teams joining from all over the globe and not even a holding statement from them or the clubs. I've paid up front for our three Warriors season tickets and despite asking on Tuesday what's happening re fixtures they haven't replied even if it was to tell me to beat it. Expand the league if that's what needs done but at least give the impression of having a clear strategy and communicate with your customers.