Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Going back to the Scotland squad my biggest concern is how obvious the best 15 is, its like going back to the bad old days when you knew exactly who was going to play due to the lack of top quality players. Apart from who partners Grey in the 2nd row, any maybe hooker from the squad selected i dont think you can make any argument of the best 15 not being Nel, Ford, Fagerson, Grey, Swinson, Barclay, Watson, Wilson, Price, Russell, Jones, Dunbar, Jones, Seymour, Hogg

Granted you could have a team of (with a couple out of position) Dell, Brown, Dickinson, Grey, Denton, Hardie, Ashe, Strauss, Laidlaw, Scott, Visser, Taylor, Bennett, Hughes, Maitland, with a bench of Reid, McArthur, Allan, Cowan, Horne, Weir, Tonks with the players missing, but would still have a squad where there are options in all positions that dont drop the quality of the team on the pitch

Sean Maitland would be the first pick on the wing ahead of Jones, surely?  I think you could make a case for any two of four or five centres, as well.  It's the front row where the lack of depth really is striking.  

Sean Maitland would be the first pick on the wing ahead of Jones, surely?  I think you could make a case for any two of four or five centres, as well.  It's the front row where the lack of depth really is striking.  

If he was fit then yes, my point being that we have so many first choice or fairly close call back ups either injured or not selected that you look at the 37 man squad Townsend has selected and instantly know the best 15 without to much pondering on options

I’m not sure I see the problem. The main reason it’s easy to pick our starting line up just now is because we have actively good players in almost every position. Whereas, in the not too distant past, the debate was more likely to be between who would cause the team the fewest issues in a match out of 3 or 4 fairly poor options.

Our back up is obviously going to be depleted when we have so many injuries but, for a country with only two professional clubs and little more than a handful of players playing top level rugby outside Scotland I’m not sure what more you could expect.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

2 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I’m not sure I see the problem. The main reason it’s easy to pick our starting line up just now is because we have actively good players in almost every position. Whereas, in the not too distant past, the debate was more likely to be between who would cause the team the fewest issues in a match out of 3 or 4 fairly poor options.

Our back up is obviously going to be depleted when we have so many injuries but, for a country with only two professional clubs and little more than a handful of players playing top level rugby outside Scotland I’m not sure what more you could expect.

This is correct.

Glasgow on Saturday were a prime example. Ruaridh Jackson had been absolutely outstanding in the first 7 games. He was left out to allow some bloke called Hogg some game time!

Guinness PRO14  – Broadcasts & Referee Appointments

Friday, October 27, 2017

CONNACHT RUGBY V MUNSTER RUGBY – KO 7.35PM

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 157th competition game)
AR1: David Wilkinson (IRFU). AR2: Frank Murphy (IRFU)
TMO: Brian MacNiece (IRFU)
TG4: 7.20pm

GLASGOW WARRIORS V SOUTHERN KINGS – KO 7.35PM (8.35 SA)

Referee: Mike Adamson (SRU, 13th competition game)
AR1: Lloyd Linton (SRU). AR2: Sam Grove-White (SRU)
TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)
BBC ALBA: 7.25pm
SuperSport 1: 8.30pm (SA)

OSPREYS V DRAGONS – KO 7.35PM

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 67th competition game)
AR1: Adam Jones (WRU). AR2: Dewi Phillips (WRU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU).
BBC2 Wales: 7.30pm

Saturday, October 28, 2017

BENETTON RUGBY V EDINBURGH RUGBY – KO 3PM (2PM UK)

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (38th competition game)
AR1: Gwyn Morris (WRU). AR2: Claudio Blessano (FIR)
TMO: Sean Brickell (WRU).
Eurosport Italia 2: 2.55pm

SCARLETS V CARDIFF BLUES – KO 7.35PM

Referee: Stuart Berry (SARU, 3rd competition game)
AR1: Rhys Thomas (WRU). AR2: Jon Hardy (WRU)
TMO: Neil Hennessey (WRU)
S4C: 7.15pm

ULSTER RUGBY V LEINSTER RUGBY – KO 6.30PM

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU, 66th competition game)
AR1: Craig Evans (WRU). AR2: Leo Colgan (IRFU)
TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)
BBC2 NI: 6.15pm
Sky Sports Action: 6.15pm

ZEBRE V TOYOTA CHEETAHS – KO 6PM

Referee: Dan Jones (WRU, 12th competition game)
AR1: Andrea Piardi (FIR). AR2: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR)
TMO: Alan Falzone (IRFU)
Eurosport Italia 2: 5.55pm
SuperSport 2: 5.55pm

Lucky Edinburgh. Ben Whitehouse is terrific.

So is Mike Adamson. Good week for the Scottish teams.

Is Whitehouse English? He doesn't have an SRU/WRU or whatever after his name. If he is, how come he's the only English ref that ever does Pro14 games and how come he isn't familiar to me as an international ref?

I thought they were trying to not have home refs now (unless the two teams are from the same country)? Glasgow had a Saffer touch judge but a non SA referee when they played the Cheetahs didn't they?

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

Is Whitehouse English? He doesn't have an SRU/WRU or whatever after his name. If he is, how come he's the only English ref that ever does Pro14 games and how come he isn't familiar to me as an international ref?

I thought they were trying to not have home refs now (unless the two teams are from the same country)? Glasgow had a Saffer touch judge but a non SA referee when they played the Cheetahs didn't they?

Whitehouse is Welsh, I'd assume it's just a typo.

F*ck knows with home refs, I suppose if Glasgow win due to a dodgy call, it might be raised that the ref used to play for them!

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

He's WRU.

He seems to do assistant refereeing for big international games but he has refereed internationals. He is quite young so I'm sure he'll get his chance soon.

Sarto is also in the Italy squad, Peterson might get a call up to the US squad and any players selected for the Barbarians 

So with Peterson sarto n niko in their respective squads its a real struggle. Also not impossible for likes of mccarthur n allan to be drafted in if there's injuries.

I would assume that any player in the Scotland squad that is not needed for the Australia game. will be released to play with Glasgow.
Edinburgh will have a similar problem as they are in South Africa to play the Cheaters the night before the Australia game

2 hours ago, dogmc said:

Jeezo....its gonna be a bring your boots with you scenario for Glasgow fans....

Seriously. Why does the Pro14 continue during international windows. It's a joke league during it with bizarre results, poor play and performances. I think we continually play Ospreys during it, they must wonder where all our team goes!

Seriously. Why does the Pro14 continue during international windows. It's a joke league during it with bizarre results, poor play and performances. I think we continually play Ospreys during it, they must wonder where all our team goes!

The welsh n Irish sides are happy to play during 6m n autumn because they have four sides each so lose far fewer players to international matches each. They're probably delighted that Glasgow are decimated every season through call ups then injuries whilst playing for Scotland