Papua New Guinea 14-6 Ireland

Group D
Italy 46-0 USA

Inter-Group
Fiji 72-6 Wales

in Australia
  7,732 ... Italy v USA + Fiji v Wales

in PNG
14,800 ... PNG v Ireland (precisely same crowd as last game?!)

PNG almost certain to qualify from Group C now. Fiji-Italy to decide who wins Group D.

QFs likely to be:

Australia v Samoa/Scotland
Tonga v Italy/Fiji
NZ v Lebanon
England v PNG

We still have a chance of qualifying for QF??? Though we were getting humped left right and centre.....

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's more pronounced in RL but is hardly unique either...

Looking at the rugby union squad of the autumn tests you've got Berghan (NZ), Marfo (England), Nel (South Africa), Swinson (England), Toolis (Australia), Barclay (Hong Kong), Harley (England), Hamilton (Wales), Watson (England), du Preez (South Africa), Wilson (England), Fowles (England), Price (England), Pyrgios (England), Jackson (England), Burleigh (NZ), Harris (England), Grigg (NZ), McGuigan (South Africa), Seymour (USA)... less than half the squad are actually born in Scotland.

In football Jordan Archer, Liam Cooper, Callum Paterson, Kieran Tierney, Matt Phillips, Russell Martin, James Morrison, Matt Ritchie, Tom Cairney, Steven Fletcher, Chris Martin and Jordan Rhodes are all born in England...

From a  quick  look at the list of RU guys, Jackson (Robert Gordon's), Barclay (Dollar) and Harley (Douglas Academy) were all educated at Scottish schools, and all played age grade for Scotland, and Pyrgos and Wilson both played for Scotland at age group level. I'd be surprised if the RL squad had anything close to that.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Yep, pathetic behaviour, but sadly little beyond what we've come to expect from Scottish sportsmen these days.

Player called "Johnnie Walker" banned from flight due to drink, though...

It's called "pulling a James McFadden", although I'm sure he wasn't the first and his misdemeanour was after an event, not during it.

From a  quick  look at the list of RU guys, Jackson (Robert Gordon's), Barclay (Dollar) and Harley (Douglas Academy) were all educated at Scottish schools, and all played age grade for Scotland, and Pyrgos and Wilson both played for Scotland at age group level. I'd be surprised if the RL squad had anything close to that.

I was meaning that a 14 team World Cup for a sport that’s only really played in 4 countries can’t really work without a fairly flexible definition of nationality

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was meaning that a 14 team World Cup for a sport that’s only really played in 4 countries can’t really work without a fairly flexible definition of nationality

I agree with you, I was just suggesting that HJ's post about places of birth in the RU team wasn't really comparing like for like with RL.

International RL is a joke tbh.

I was at the game on Friday night and what impressed me was how better organised we were than when we played them a couple of weeks ago, despite it being more "squad" teams.  1st half the defending early on was poor and we shipped 2 bad tries but we got away with it because our attack was lethal.  We defended our own 5 metre line at the end of the 1st half exceptionally well. 

Generally better defence in the 2nd half when Leinster had more possession.  Especially since we played 20 mins with 14 men.  The funny thing is that Friday night was the 10th competitive game of the season and we hadn't had a single player sin-binned in all those games until Scott Cummings was booked on Friday night.  I suppose we wanted to make up for it by then getting Alex Dunbar booked shortly after lol.

Tempted to do the Swansea drive at the end of the month...

Embra quietly up to five wins in a row n hearing that Cochrane n Bradbury drafted into Scotland squad. A hooker that can hook n throw at line out.... Quite the innovation

Definite improvement by Edinburgh this yr. As previously mentioned I quite fancy them in challenge cup but the manner of their win against ospreys wouldn't have happened last year. Good stuff.

Definite improvement by Edinburgh this yr. As previously mentioned I quite fancy them in challenge cup but the manner of their win against ospreys wouldn't have happened last year. Good stuff.

Yep new coaches are definitely moving squad in right direction

Was skeptical with changes at first but glad to be proven wrong. So far.........

Same but I've been impressed so far by cockerill. Completely different guy to way he was at Leicester. McCrae has improved defence a lot too. Subs are proactive n really like way they are using kinghorn in attack.

Just noticed, on the Scotland front, that we now only have McInally, Turner and Cochrane as the hookers, I dont rate the first 2 (Turner is good in the loose, but not great at the set piece) and dont think I have seen Cochrane play yet.

Cochrane is very solid n scrum n lineout but not spectacular in loose....McInally n Turner are dire at throwing n scrum but decent in loose. The other option would be McArthur bit he's a bit streaky at lineout (either v good or awful). Id go cochrane tbh but its a worry that we are so thin on the ground for hookers.

3 hours ago, dogmc said:

Cochrane is very solid n scrum n lineout but not spectacular in loose....McInally n Turner are dire at throwing n scrum but decent in loose. The other option would be McArthur bit he's a bit streaky at lineout (either v good or awful). Id go cochrane tbh but its a worry that we are so thin on the ground for hookers.

It's the age old problem of having only two pro teams really. We have two good hookers, one who's first pick at Glasgow, one who's first pick at Edinburgh, and everyone else are reserve players who probably haven't had enough exposure to top level games. I'd probably go Cochrane as well, as I don't really know who he is, but I'm hopeful he's better than the other two!

It's the age old problem of having only two pro teams really. We have two good hookers, one who's first pick at Glasgow, one who's first pick at Edinburgh, and everyone else are reserve players who probably haven't had enough exposure to top level games. I'd probably go Cochrane as well, as I don't really know who he is, but I'm hopeful he's better than the other two!

In fairness if one of the hookers can hook, throw straight and ball carry I'd pick him.