Rugby Union

kiwififer

All Blacks beat Argentina to win the Rugby Championship with one round to spare. French ref Mathieu Raynal has been taking lessons for the Irish refs and makeing rules up as he goes along from the reports I am seeing about the game.

NRL Grand Final Roosters v Storm. Billy Slater’s farewell game for the Storm although he should have been banned after last week’s shoulder charge. Roosters took a big gamble paying Cooper Cronk but so far it’s paid off. HT Roosters 18 Storm 0.

NRL Grand Final Roosters v Storm. Billy Slater’s farewell game for the Storm although he should have been banned after last week’s shoulder charge. Roosters took a big gamble paying Cooper Cronk but so far it’s paid off. HT Roosters 18 Storm 0.
Slater wishing he had been suspended. Cronks shoulder gone again.

Just caught up on the Glasgow game, again silly mistakes costing us. For me the issue is price taking the ball out of the breakdown and taking a few steps before passing which is putting pressure on Hastings, who is then holding on to the all rather than pass, which is probably the safest option if you are under pressure. If Price just gave him the quick ball straight away we could have had Dunbar and Jones more involved. Thought Hastings did well, but again should be looking  to pass earlier. Thought Thompson did OK as well when he came on at 10, was suprised as he can play fullback so thought it would have been a straight switch, Davidson is a big unit also but didn't see enough to form much of an opinion. Kebble is mom is a good shout, we really could have done with him being fit last year, so hopefully we see more of him this year.

If we can get as close to full strength as possible we can give Sarries a game. The questions are around who plays 2nd row (probably Harley but he is too lighweight), and the backrow. I thought Fagerson did OK, but again is a bit lightweight, so would probably play Ashe, Sarries will target Wilson as they know he can be riled up easily.

Horne has to start, and the backline will probably be Hastings, DTH, Dunbar, Jones, Syemour and Jackson. 

Not the perfect display but the conditions maybe didn't help.

However it was back to winning ways with a BP too. Night and day compared to last weekend.

Talk has turned to Saracens now as Dave Rennie has said himself that a lot of work needs done before we can beat Sarries. A lot of work to do over the next fortnight.

Oh, btw we have a home league game vs Zebre on Fri night first...

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

Thought Hastings did well, but again should be looking  to pass earlier.

Taking the ball with the defence set is definitely the weakest part of his game.

Finn got a lot of stick last season but I think things would have been a lot worse without him. There are not many players who will stand as flat as he does and distribute time and again.

South Sydney’s Greg Inglis appointed captain of the Australian Rugby League team on Monday. He was attending the annual Koori Knockout tournament in country NSW so went on the turps to celebrate. Next day driving back to Sydney the silly bugger gets pulled over for speeding more than 10 kph over limit and a mandatory RBT. Blow in the bag shows 0.085 which is over the 0.05 limit. Result instant licence suspension and visit to court next month plus the ARL ban him from the upcoming Tests v NZ and Tonga.

15 hours ago, Detournement said:

To be fair it would have been a lot worse if it was a bone dry pitch. He basically face plants into the ground then has jones land on top. Artificial pitch or not it was going to leave a mark either way. Slide your face for 5 or so metres on any surface and im sure the results would be similar

It seems Glasgow has installed a racist pitch, which goes out of its way to injure Welsh players. It doesn't seem to be so spiteful towards others. Or perhaps spray tan and our pitch don't mix :P Some weird chemical reaction takes place when the two come into contact :blink:

47 minutes ago, honestly united said:

To be fair it would have been a lot worse if it was a bone dry pitch. He basically face plants into the ground then has jones land on top. Artificial pitch or not it was going to leave a mark either way. Slide your face for 5 or so metres on any surface and im sure the results would be similar

I've never seen anything like that off a grass park in my life in any sport.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I've never seen anything like that off a grass park in my life in any sport.

I've had worse, usually end of April / early September, when pitches are rock solid as they haven't seen any rain in weeks. If there are patches without grass they can be like hitting concrete

You wont see it in hte professional game as the grass pitches are watered and kept soft, but the majority of club pitches are a nightmare to play on at times. You do wonder why at time why games get called off for frozen pitches, when they are just as hard at the very start / very end of a season.

The SRU should be spending the money to get grass down. Instead they are going to have Edinburgh play on 3G.

Motherwell went from the worst pitch in Scotland to the best by installing proper drainage and funding the ground staff properly. If a football club with a turnover of around 6m can do it then the SRU should be able to as well.