Rugby Union

kiwififer

Absolutely delighted for the Scottish boys. Ali Price offers something different to the other two 9s, and could well end up on the bench (at least) for the Tests behind either. Great to see Zander's red didn't cost him, and Chris Harris is an unsurprising surprise, given how much trust both Tandy and Townsend have in him, and his recent performances for Gloucester. The others were all pretty much as certain as a Scotsman in a Lions squad under Gatland could be. 8 is the most we've had as an original selection since the 9 chosen in 1989, with 7 plus a late addition in 1993. All absolutely deserved. 

Daly is lucky, but is also a very good rugby player who Gatland trusts, and who I think Townsend might get a lot more out of than Jones. With Lawes and Simmonds, it's more surprising that they aren't always in the England squad than they're in this one, and the 2nd rows have clearly been picked as big dirty ball carriers when you see the general makeup of the back rowers. Wyn Jones ability to get opponents sent off is clearly a huge strength.

I make no apologies for absolutely fucking loving the Lions, but it has been a tough shift as a Scottish Lions fan over the last few tours, even back as far as Australia in 2001. I genuinely cannot wait for this.

If the first Test was on Saturday, 

Hogg, A Watson, Henshaw, Farrell, Rees Zammit, Biggar, Murray, Sutherland, George, Furlong, AWJ, Itoje, Curry, H Watson, Faletau.

Subs: Cowan-Dickie, Fagerson, Vunipola, Beirne, Simmonds, Price, Russell, Williams

for me please.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:
Its not entirely unreasonable to pick a starting XV with no Irish players in it.  That’d be a crying shame if that happened. 

Henshaw and Furlong would be in

I agree

Furlong is better than Fagerson - I like Fagerson but Furlong is better

Henshaw is a great player

Some of the meltdowns on Twitter and the Guardian comments sections have been quite something (I was going to also mention BBC website, but the comments section on that is a permanent seething racist mess, no matter what the topic). My favourite so far has been that the only reason so many Scots were picked was because there was an election yesterday.

Back to the 1872 cup tonight, and 3 new Lions getting a run out

Glasgow Warriors (v Edinburgh at Scotstoun, Friday @ 8.15pm): C Forbes; R Tagive, N Grigg, S McDowall, K Steyn; R Thompson, A Price; O Kebble, F Brown, Z Fagerson, R Harley, S Cummings, F Lokotui, T Gordon, R Wilson. Subs: G Turner, T Lambert, E Pieretto, R Gray, L McDonald, G Horne, P Horne, N Matawalu.

Edinburgh (v Glasgow Warriors at Scotstoun, Friday @ 8.15pm): D Hoyland; E Sau, M Bennett, G Taylor, D van der Merwe; N Chamberlain, H Pyrgos; P Schoeman, D Cherry, W Nel, J Hodgson, G Gilchrist, J Ritchie, L Crosbie, V Mata. Subs: S McInally, B Venter, L Atalifo, M Sykes, M Kunavula, C Shiel, C Savala, J Johnstone.

Good to see McDowall and McInally back after long lay offs with injury. Teams look well matched, except for the Edinburgh back row that is head and shoulders above Glasgows and should win them the game

17 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
18 hours ago, Savage Henry said:
Its not entirely unreasonable to pick a starting XV with no Irish players in it.  That’d be a crying shame if that happened. 

Henshaw and Furlong would be in

Oh I quite agree, and as funny as it would be I wouldn’t advocate it, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility. 

20 hours ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

I agree

Furlong is better than Fagerson - I like Fagerson but Furlong is better

Henshaw is a great player

Furlong brings more carrying but I don't think there is anyone in BIL selection who does better work around the ruck than Zander.

Just now, super_carson said:
1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:
It was stupid by Brown but it was 6 and half a dozen on the pushing.

I think that's the ref trying to stamp some authority on the game more than anything. Quite niggly already.

As John Barclay said though, that's not a bad thing given how last year's derbies seemed to lack a bit of edge.

A lot of these guys now playing for spots on the Scotland trip to Eastern Europe in the summer.