Rugby Union

kiwififer

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/06/2023 at 19:28, GAD said:

London Irish the latest English club to go down the pan. It's just a shame Scotland's current first pick scrum half plays for them. Don't even see much of a place for him at Edinburgh or Glasgow right now. Kyle Rowe is there as well. He got that horror injury last summer and as far as I know hasn't played since. Wonder if Glasgow would take a punt on him?

And they have! Could be a fantastic signing if fit and the injury hasn't affected his pace too much. Would be great to get him back in and about the Scotland squad as well.

6 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Quite the backlash after this move.

There will probably be a silent protest at the next home game.

Maybe even some audible tutting will be heard, reflecting off the waxed Barbour jackets in the crowd.

17 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The SRU doing a great job of showing that rugby isn't just a sport for Tory arseholes.

There's an obsession with the Hampden lads about marrying up Scottish rugby to the Tories imo. They promote a tired stereotype but they're entitled to their opinions I guess.

However a lot of Scottish rugby fans aren't in agreement with those appointments and quite cynical of it.

Personally, I will never vote Tory but if there's the expertise to bring the organisation forward on and off the park after their political career then I'm open minded to it.

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

There's an obsession with the Hampden lads about marrying up Scottish rugby to the Tories imo. They promote a tired stereotype but they're entitled to their opinions I guess.

However a lot of Scottish rugby fans aren't in agreement with those appointments and quite cynical of it.

Personally, I will never vote Tory but if there's the expertise to bring the organisation forward on and off the park after their political career then I'm open minded to it.

It just sends out the wrong message though. Like it or not, rugby, especially in the central belt, is seen as a Tory, private school, "posh" sport. Over the past few years it's managed to get rid of a bit of that reputation, but it's still their and appointing a Tory Lord just sends it straight back to square one. To be honest, I feel the SRU have done next to f**k all to grow the game in Scotland and would probably be quite happy for it to go back to an Edinburgh private school boys club with a few farmers from the borders making up the numbers if they are good enough. Over the next 5 years we are going to lose guys like Hogg, Russell, Gray, Jones, etc and it's not looking like there is much of a plan to replace them except hope a few Aussies, Kiwis or English players pop up with Scottish  grannies.

Hogg has decided to retire with immediate effect rather than after the world cup! Bit of a shocker, only 31 and despite some folk thinking his time was up, I think he will be badly missed, mostly for his experience and his boot. I think it's a real blow gir our already slim world cup chances.

On the plus side though it must surely mean Kinghorn at 10 is dead.

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Strange decision with the WC just about to start, is he getting over an injury?

He's been struggling with injuries all season, which was the main factor in him announcing he would retire after the RWC.

He basically said his body has given up and he won't be fit in time.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

Hogg has decided to retire with immediate effect rather than after the world cup! Bit of a shocker, only 31 and despite some folk thinking his time was up, I think he will be badly missed, mostly for his experience and his boot. I think it's a real blow gir our already slim world cup chances.

On the plus side though it must surely mean Kinghorn at 10 is dead.

Kinghorn was the best fullback Scotland had last season.  Hogg was pretty much throwing Townsend under the bus by announcing he was going after the WC, basically daring him not to pick him. 

21 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Hogg was pretty much throwing Townsend under the bus by announcing he was going after the WC, basically daring him not to pick him. 

Maybe he was playing weird mind games 

Or possibly ...

Maybe he was just clinging on to the belief or hope that he could pull everything together for one last push

The latter sounds more probable to me, but your version sounds more interesting so let's run with that