Rugby Union

kiwififer

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Great defence at the end.

Can't afford to start games the way we did today though

They will take a lot from that though. The second half was pretty special in all honesty, but the first can't happen again. Might not have been the strongest french team, but they just got brutalized by 14 men who actually overwhelmed them physically.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

England are shite. Wales are even shiter.

Tedious pish from both teams so far. At least in the first half, Scotland were trying to play rugby and just making errors. This is just boring as f**k

When people who don’t like rugby explain why they don’t like rugby this is the kind of rugby they describe 

Was out with pals when the game was on and could not be arsed watching the first half but the second was pretty special, "weak" France aside. A few notes:

Blair Kinghorn is very obviously an exceptionally talented rugby player and physically superb. Simply not an international FH but as a back three player looks a fine replacement for Hogg and could get better and better

The physicality and accuracy of hand and footwork when carrying, especially a man down, was exceptional. 

No sign of the Tuipulotu at first receiver formation at all really. If we're working in other formations in attack so that this is more of a secret weapon then all the better. 

Rory Darge is world class. As much as we've had depth there for a while I don't know we've ever been in a position where potentially 2 players will be very very unlucky to miss out 

Darcy Graham is also world class. His acceleration into tight areas is frightening at times

1 minute ago, Gianfranco said:

Personally didn’t see any separation in that disallowed try for Wales but I’m the first to admit I know hee haw about rugby.

There were definitely two distinct touches rather than one motion to touch it down, it was bloody close though.

If I heard Mullins right at the end there, he said England haven't scored in the 2nd half of a match for 2 and a half years. That's hilariously bad.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

There were definitely two distinct touches rather than one motion to touch it down, it was bloody close though.

If I heard Mullins right at the end there, he said England haven't scored in the 2nd half of a match for 2 and a half years. That's hilariously bad.

I was just coming on to post that. Insane. Borthwick is making a right c**t of it but it makes the squidges of the world talking about Eddie's secret plans sound like Hibs fans who still pine for Neil Lennon 

My first Scotland match today, went with my kids.

First half was dire on the pitch and no atmosphere.  Second half was superb and the crowd really lifted too.  Really amazing to pull it back with 14 men.

Managed to get the first tram leaving after the stadium, the kids enjoyed it, plus the Albion won, so all in all a successful day.

Ireland with one of the most blatant yellow card offences under their own posts that you'll ever see, 3 mins to go, game already won, Italy down to 14 men due to injury and the ref still couldn't bring himself to give it.

They have been for a while.

You have to give them credit for their accuracy at the breakdown, but they are millimetres away from multiple cards in every game. It only takes one opponent bending slightly in the wrong direction, and guys like Van Der Flier could be in serious shite

On 05/08/2023 at 19:32, Mark Connolly said:

Was it not the other way round? 2 and 1/2 years since they failed to score in the 2nd half of a test match. They were shite in the 6Ns but scored in 2nd half against us and I remember a consolation via Ireland too.  

On 06/08/2023 at 18:13, Mark Connolly said:

Lots of rumours going round that England aren't taking Henry Slade to RWC.

That seems a bit daft

Absolutely bonkers decision.  Slade is a class act, a beautiful player to watch.

England signalling that they will play off 10 with a bish-bosh at 12 and another bish-bosh at 13, until that doesn't work and then they'll sub in Anthony Watson for the last 5 mins. 

Also, much though I like Marcus Smith, he's not impressed me recently at international level, plus he's absolutely powder puff in the tackle and makes George Ford look like Drax the Destroyer!

With that England squad, I'd have Farrel at 10 and simply let him kick the shyt out of the ball for others to chase.

Re: Scotland, I love this team.  A special shout-out to the much maligned Blair Kinghorn, he's a world class full-back and on current form, I'd have picked him above Hogg in any case.  

Yours

aDONis

1 hour ago, aDONisSheep said:

Absolutely bonkers decision.  Slade is a class act, a beautiful player to watch.

England signalling that they will play off 10 with a bish-bosh at 12 and another bish-bosh at 13, until that doesn't work and then they'll sub in Anthony Watson for the last 5 mins. 

Also, much though I like Marcus Smith, he's not impressed me recently at international level, plus he's absolutely powder puff in the tackle and makes George Ford look like Drax the Destroyer!

With that England squad, I'd have Farrel at 10 and simply let him kick the shyt out of the ball for others to chase.

Tbh if I were Borthwick I'd be looking at the only 10-12 partnership to really work in the past 5 years in Ford and Farrell. Mr showy jumpy spinny Smith just isn't an international 10 yet.

He's hamstrung by the same thing as all England coaches which is an overwhelming need for Manu to be fit, although Lawrence can do the job. There's decent looking combinations for England all over the pitch if he can put them together, but fully expect some nae user like Elliot Daly or Lewis Ludlam to play every game for them 

ETA initially came on to ask where the hell is Zach Mercer? I'd be bealing to come back from the riviera in order to be in the frame for England and instead be left behind in Gloucester as Billy Vunipola's bloated corpse is loaded into the catapult again. Assume he must be injured

Edited by GHF-23

Okay from what I can see Zach Mercer is not currently injured. I know we have had this conversation in the past and no one's quite sure if he's eligible for Scotland and he's 99% not interested regardless of getting in the England WC squad going by recent interviews Yadda Yadda Yadda BUT hear me out....

Mercer offered the deeds to Murrayfield to sign on

Dempsey or Ritchie incredibly rapidly retooled as a lock, playing alongside Richie so we still have a very long boy in there, Gilchrist or Cummings on the bench

Pick 3 from Ritchie/Dempsey (whoever is not now definitely a lock), Darge, Fagerson and Mercer. Watson and Crosbie in the squad for cover.

Win the world cup 

Zach Mercer sells Murrayfield, SRU homeless

Edited by GHF-23