Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, Rossi1990 said:

Interesting way they came to the decision of just a pen 

Yup. I would understand if the offending player was directly pushed into the Tongan player. However. I noticed during one of the last replays shown, the SA player's shoulder actually moved upwards as contact was made. Deliberate foul play.

16 minutes ago, andrew21 said:

So Scotland go through with a six point win against Ireland as South Africa would top the table with best points difference and Scotland win the head to head v Ireland?

No because Ireland would get a losing BP and be on 15 as well

1 hour ago, andrew21 said:

Fair point, need to score four tries in that scenario then

Afraid not.  If we beat Ireland by 6, even assuming they don't get the try BP, we are definitely out as we'd all (including South Africa) be on 15 points and our points difference would be the worst of the 3 (SA 117, Ireland 116, Scotland 103). 

So we absolutely need to be beat Ireland by 8 points or more.  

If we beat Ireland by 8 or more points and both teams get a try BP, then all 3 teams would finish on 15 points.  In this scenario, Scotland would have to win by 20 (or 21??) to finish ahead of SA and 13 to finish ahead of Ireland.  Either way SA progress to the quarters.  BBC says SA are on the brink of qualifying, but I think it's guaranteed as it's impossible for both Ireland and Scotland to beat them on points difference.

Edited by Gnash