Rugby Union

kiwififer

13 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Ritchie, after having the captaincy stripped off him then did nothing to demonstrate why he even deserves to start. Hopefully Darge can start next weekend.

Also a little frustrating that Kinghorn and Graham aren't fit for France, as offensively we looked dangerous everytime we had fast ball in that first half. 

We seem to lack real leaders in the pack, as I can't see other countries allowing their forwards to get pinged repeatedly like that and not either query the ref, or change tact.

Ritchie had an anonymous game.  Looks like his head is elsewhere.   As for the pack, partly that’s on Townsend.  Turner and the ref were on different wavelengths and Ashman should have come on earlier. 

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Ritchie had an anonymous game.  Looks like his head is elsewhere.   As for the pack, partly that’s on Townsend.  Turner and the ref were on different wavelengths and Ashman should have come on earlier. 

I think a lot of us called out the pack as an issue before the game. I don't think the balance was ever really right, especially in the back row and the Reffell issue really killed us second half. We are usually a turnover team, with the backs we have, quick ball from turnover is huge, but we didn't really have any jacklers in the team. Some of that was injury issues, but we also left guys like Christie and Watson out the squad.

On my way back from Cardiff and still can't get over the complete collapse in the second half. All the Welsh fans we spoke to before the game and up to half were expecting a hammering. However we were telling them that they were playing Scotland and we are always inventing new ways to lose games. I'm just glad we got the win in the end, but a lot of work needed this week, France will be reeling from there loss and will be wanting to put that right.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Would be good to know what the underlying issues re Ritchie are, he's miles off it a the moment and Watson should feel hard done by. 

Turner also perhaps fortunate not to be benched behind Matthews who has been one of Glasgow best players this season. 

Regarding townsend, he has kept Dalziel on board for years now  and has our line out even been solid in his tenure?

5 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Pretty much as expected really - injured players plus Ritchie out

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "SCOT SCOTLAND SCOTLAND /FRANCE 2:15PM MURRAY IELD, EDINBURGH 15 KYLE ROWE 14 KYLE STEYN 13 HUWJONES 12 SIONE TUIPUL OTU (VC) 11 DUHAN VAN DER MERWE 10 FINN RUSSELL (CC) 9 NWHI eter Vardy PIERRE SCHOEMAN 2 GEORGETURNER GEORGE 3 ZANDER ERFAGERSON GRANT GIL HRIST 5 SCOTT CUMMINGS 6 MATT FAGERSON RORY DARGE (CC) 8 JACK DEMPSEY REPLACEMENTS EWANASHMAN ALEC HEPBURN EL LIOTMI LAR-MILLS SAM SKINNER ANDY RISTIE GEORGE HORNE BENHEALY 2 One As"

Even though Rowe was OK at full-back last week personally I'd have thought about swapping him and Steyn round.  I feel Steyn could be quite effective at full back.

25 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Even though Rowe was OK at full-back last week personally I'd have thought about swapping him and Steyn round.  I feel Steyn could be quite effective at full back.

Yeah.  I thought Rowe looked a little out of his comfort zone.  I’d have gone for your team.  

Thank goodness Darge & Dempsey are back. Although Dempsey hasn’t played much. Ritchie has gone from being a shoe in for the Lions toor to an outsider for Scotland    Dont think its the captaincy issue as hes been waynoff all season

On 04/02/2024 at 10:47, GAD said:

Did you not think Skinner was terrible when he came on though? I thought he was one of the guys who completely lost it and was a total liability.

Sorry for the late reply. I see your point but it was a team issue when the discipline went. However Skinner stole 2 Welsh line outs.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Pretty much as expected really - injured players plus Ritchie out

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "SCOT SCOTLAND SCOTLAND /FRANCE 2:15PM MURRAY IELD, EDINBURGH 15 KYLE ROWE 14 KYLE STEYN 13 HUWJONES 12 SIONE TUIPUL OTU (VC) 11 DUHAN VAN DER MERWE 10 FINN RUSSELL (CC) 9 NWHI eter Vardy PIERRE SCHOEMAN 2 GEORGETURNER GEORGE 3 ZANDER ERFAGERSON GRANT GIL HRIST 5 SCOTT CUMMINGS 6 MATT FAGERSON RORY DARGE (CC) 8 JACK DEMPSEY REPLACEMENTS EWANASHMAN ALEC HEPBURN EL LIOTMI LAR-MILLS SAM SKINNER ANDY RISTIE GEORGE HORNE BENHEALY 2 One As"

I don't mind this team, I think it's better balanced and has a bit more about it. My minor quibble is why bother with Healy in the bench? It's obvious the only way Russell is going off is on a stretcher so could easily just have Redpath covering and put another forward in there.

39 minutes ago, GAD said:

I don't mind this team, I think it's better balanced and has a bit more about it. My minor quibble is why bother with Healy in the bench? It's obvious the only way Russell is going off is on a stretcher so could easily just have Redpath covering and put another forward in there.

I think its the risk, yes if he's fit he plays the full match, but if he gets taken out in the 2nd minute, do you want to play 78 minutes without a recognised stand off? I think you can get away with it more in other positions but not at 10.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

That might be the thinking when Kinghorn is fit seeing as he can play 10 (no laughing at the back)

The Ritchie situation is a bit sad really - from a stick on 6 and obvious choice for captain to rightly dropped in less than 2 years. Was looking back earlier on a post I made in 2022 talking through the stats of our pack, and at that time he was a bit of an all rounder - not outstanding anywhere but a high volume player and a very decent breakdown threat. I think that's still the case, but he's not the threat at the breakdown he once was (this is purely perception, I haven't looked at stats and could be wrong) and in poor form an all rounder can start to look like someone who doesn't make an impact. I think it's good news that we have the depth in the back row that we can field a better starting 3 without him and that at least on form Crosbie (pre injury) and Christie look like more impactful versions of the same type of player. I've mentioned it before but were he a bit younger given our other options it'd be interesting to try and retool him as a lock but very unlikely to happen. All that being said, I think it's a good place for the squad to be in overall where fewer and fewer players are undropable and there's consequences for poor performance

2 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

The Ritchie situation is a bit sad really - from a stick on 6 and obvious choice for captain to rightly dropped in less than 2 years. Was looking back earlier on a post I made in 2022 talking through the stats of our pack, and at that time he was a bit of an all rounder - not outstanding anywhere but a high volume player and a very decent breakdown threat. I think that's still the case, but he's not the threat at the breakdown he once was (this is purely perception, I haven't looked at stats and could be wrong) and in poor form an all rounder can start to look like someone who doesn't make an impact. I think it's good news that we have the depth in the back row that we can field a better starting 3 without him and that at least on form Crosbie (pre injury) and Christie look like more impactful versions of the same type of player. I've mentioned it before but were he a bit younger given our other options it'd be interesting to try and retool him as a lock but very unlikely to happen. All that being said, I think it's a good place for the squad to be in overall where fewer and fewer players are undropable and there's consequences for poor performance

I think Ritchie will come good again, he's only 27 and it's not like it's been a bad injury or anything, he's just out of form at the minute. I think it's good we have the players now to drop those guys and give them a break and you have to reward the players playing well. Not too long ago Ritchie would have almost had to play every game by default because there wasn't anyone else.

34 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think it's good we have the players now to drop those guys and give them a break and you have to reward the players playing well. Not too long ago Ritchie would have almost had to play every game by default because there wasn't anyone else.

Yeah, this is my main takeaway as well, the rest is just unfamiliarity with, as you say, being able to take players out based on performance. And of course my weird fantasy rugby brain that has accepted Zac Mercer will not play for Scotland and is instead fixated on the idea of Jamie Ritchie adding 10kg and becoming a lock. 😁 I don't even think it's a particularly good idea - while similar types of players at lock (Beirne, Itoji, Woki etc) aren't the tallest all are an inch or two taller and heavier than Ritchie, and the only one the same height in the 6 Nations (this is all going by wiki so could be bullshit) is Tuilagi for France who is apparently 40kg heavier than Ritchie! 

Edited by GHF-23