Rugby Union

kiwififer

Completely robbed. Utter disgrace.

However that would have meant nothing if we knew how to be clinical when putting the opposition under pressure as we'd have been leading anyways I'd wager. To have an extra man just before HT, batter France's try line but come away with nothing is simply unacceptable. You can't win championships if you don't finish pressure.

The coaches should've been freshened up after the world cup. It needs freshened up after the 6N. We're a good team but stagnating and lack ideas imo.

15 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

Biggar just said the quiet bit out loud.

Correct, Biggar basically saying the decision was wrong but "good for the tournament". That's not what happens in a serious sport.

Really quite scunnered by that today. As mentioned in earlier post there's stuff to talk about from the actual game but the amount of times it feels like games - and I don't mean those involving Scotland - are turning on poor decisions, narrative driven reffing etc, it's just making me less and less arsed with following professional rugby year on year. There's more and more a feeling of what's the point. 

At the game I obviously had no idea if it was grounded at the end.  I’ll get to that.  I’ve now watched it on TV as well.

There wasn’t much in the game.  I felt we controlled the first half and I said at half time we should have been 10 more points ahead.  We weren’t clinical enough.  Did the usual of persisting with the forwards battering away (our weakness) instead of using our backs (strength).  No more apparent than when they’re down to 14 at the end of the first half and we didn’t convert.

Second half was criminal.  We let it drift.  We sat there and thought we’re playing a bang average French team so you lads make the running and we won’t impose ourselves.  One piece of good play fucked that strategy.  I’ve no idea where this forward pass idea in their try comes from.  There was chat from Finn at the game and plenty on here.  Not seeing it.

Nic Berry is a w**k.  I watch a lot of rugby.  Won’t be many that post on here that watch remotely as much.  What normally happens here is the ref looks (and he was in a good position).  He’s not sure so moves, looks again, moves again, then makes a decision.  If he does that he sees the ball ends up grounded and awards the try.  He didn’t.  He made a snap decision and got it wrong.

In a melee like that it’s difficult to overturn it from the TMO.  I’m watching it thinking no way he can overturn that, until they brought up the angle that showed the ball underneath the boys leg (someone posted a still of it).  Hold on a minute.  The TMO said it was down, Nic Berry is about to award the try then the TMO changes his mind.

I’ve seen many tries awarded by TMO’s on a lot less evidence than that.

What is this obsession that Finn Russell has for gambling for 7 points when 3 points are being offered on a plate?

The appropriate time to gamble on 7 is in the last quarter of the game if you are behind.

It's certainly not when you are in the first half with a free opportunity to add to your lead. Those three points before half time were a criminally wasted gift.

That decision came back to bite us.

My take was that Nic Berry hasnt seen the grounding so goes to the TMO which is the correct thing, as always if you havent seen something it hasnt happened. If Berry is going by the TMO (oh its down, oh wait a minute its not) he cant award the try. I wasnt at the game so cant say, but if those pictures are on the screens at Murrayfield, Berry can 100% change his mind (there have been plenty of examples of ref's saying on field is this, then seeing the pictures and changing there minds not waiting on the TMO to tell them.). If Berry has seen that and still gone, no try that is terrible reffing.

We now have an Irish parade to the grand slam, rather than a contest. If Scotland had won it sets up a last day shoot out with Ireland (which we would lose) as I can see us beating Italy and England. It devalued the competition and everyone knows there is nothing to play for now.

On the performance, again Scotland always look toothless when we are 5 metres out and the forwards are battering away. Out of all the top teams we must be the worst. Saying that I think we had a lot more composure than I think I remember us ever having, the ball looked wet and there were a few fumbled passes so probably didnt suit or usual game, if we had won no one would have been complaining (too much) about it.

2 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Burying the lead slightly but does anyone know why we were in blue and France in white yesterday? I thought the etiquette in rugby is that the home team changes colours when there’s a clash. 

I thought so too but that's traditional values but maybe now in professionalism there's a demand for home teams in home kits.

Having said that, the home team will always change when Oz, NZ and SA visit as their colours have huge media and marketing appeal.

3 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Burying the lead slightly but does anyone know why we were in blue and France in white yesterday? I thought the etiquette in rugby is that the home team changes colours when there’s a clash. 

Normally the away team picks what top they want to use. So France must have wanted to use their white top?