Rugby Union

kiwififer

Im not seeing the big deal here, player plays game in France on Saturday, goes to Dubai for few days while Scotland are in Spain or whereever training (which he wouldn't have gone to anyway as no chance of being involved in the match day squad) .

I'll be more concerned if it comes out he isn't back with the squad for the England game

Edited by honestly united

Ireland announcing their team early,

Ireland: J Larmour; A Conway, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Herring, T Furlong; I Henderson, J Ryan; CJ Stander, J van der Flier, C Doris.

Replacements: R Kelleher, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, D Toner, P O'Mahony, J Cooney, R Byrne, R Henshaw.

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

Ireland: J Larmour; A Conway, G Ringrose, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Herring, T Furlong; I Henderson, J Ryan; CJ Stander, J van der Flier, C Doris.

Replacements: R Kelleher, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, D Toner, P O'Mahony, J Cooney, R Byrne, R Henshaw.

It's a very strong team, set up to muller us up front and box kick us to death. Going by the subs though I'm guessing they are expecting to be well up with 30 to go as Toner and POM don't strike me as particularly impressive impact subs. I'd have them as starters or nothing.

Our pack is going to have to seriously front up, and Kinghorn and Hogg are going to have to deal with the bombs coming their way. I'd start Cummings in the second row, at least him and Ritchie will throw it about a bit. Gilchrist and Toolis are soft.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, honestly united said:

It's hard to see how any side we put out will be able to beat that Irish team. It's strong as hell, full of guys who know exactly how to win international rugby games. 

We're hoping for the Scottish XV to have the game of their lives, and the Irish to have an off day. 

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's hard to see how any side we put out will be able to beat that Irish team. It's strong as hell, full of guys who know exactly how to win international rugby games. 

We're hoping for the Scottish XV to have the game of their lives, and the Irish to have an off day. 

It's beatable, but it needs the forwards to serious front up and at least get parity with the Irish pack and the defence will have to put in a huge shift. A decent ref would make a huge difference as well. There are tries there for us if we can do that, the Irish back three are dangerous, but defensively that is as weak a back three as you'll see from them.

I think Murray & Sexton can be got at, and we should be targetting them. The can be prone to a heads gone if too much pressure is put on them. Also if we can keep the score thight, but play a fast paced game to the hour mark I think we will have the fitness to snatch the game at the end. As has been said above the bench doesn't look great so there is a chance. 

15 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I think Murray & Sexton can be got at, and we should be targetting them. The can be prone to a heads gone if too much pressure is put on them. Also if we can keep the score thight, but play a fast paced game to the hour mark I think we will have the fitness to snatch the game at the end. As has been said above the bench doesn't look great so there is a chance. 

There is also the fact that both Murray and Sexton are maybe not actually the form players in their position right now for Ireland. Sexton is another year older, and in rugby more than most sports, that "over the hill" moment can come quickly. Murray hasn't been great recently and is under a lot of pressure from Cooney.

Anyway, we could easily go out there, have a ref that lets Ireland f**k up every break down, leading to slow ball and getting smashed behind the gain line before aimlessly kicking away and getting hammered in the set peice, but we might not! It'll all come down to wether the forwards can make a game of it or not.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Referee for Saturday, Mathieu Raynal.

I think he's generally been quite fair to Scotland in the past.....was he not the guy who awarded us 2 penalty tries against Samoa ?

At least it's not Romaine Poite, thank God. 

There is also the fact that both Murray and Sexton are maybe not actually the form players in their position right now for Ireland. Sexton is another year older, and in rugby more than most sports, that "over the hill" moment can come quickly. Murray hasn't been great recently and is under a lot of pressure from Cooney.
Anyway, we could easily go out there, have a ref that lets Ireland f**k up every break down, leading to slow ball and getting smashed behind the gain line before aimlessly kicking away and getting hammered in the set peice, but we might not! It'll all come down to wether the forwards can make a game of it or not.
Forwards front up
Some ball carriers in midfield
Play the fancy stuff in their 22
Kick and clear the ball to touch from our 22

Are you fucking listening Townsend

14 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Referee for Saturday, Mathieu Raynal.

I think he's generally been quite fair to Scotland in the past.....was he not the guy who awarded us 2 penalty tries against Samoa ?

At least it's not Romaine Poite, thank God. 

He's still French so he'll guess half of it in a mental coin toss. 

On 27/01/2020 at 23:48, GordonS said:

Oof.

I keep thinking back to when Townsend left Hogg on the sidelines for months early in his Glasgow career, for becoming a Billy Big-Bollocks. It did Hogg the world of good. None of us on the outside can know what effect it would have on the squad for Townsend to turn a blind eye to all that's happened but you can't imagine it would be good.

I'm not sure how much the squad are actually pissed by it. Admittedly on based on what you can determine from the articles. Plus he's away with other players who aren't a million miles from the team to Dubai. 

Still think there is more to this than is being revealed!