Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Your answer to the problem of Turner is put on an even less capable player. Turner is comfortably and clearly ahead of Cherry in the queue. 

You want the problem to be the coaching when it's obviously a lack of players good enough. 

Hooker is the only position this argument stands up for. Gary Graham was only on the bench to single handedly hand Wales the game a month ago because Townsend had him there ahead of far superior players.

Edited by Dunning1874

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

Your answer to the problem of Turner is put on an even less capable player. Turner is comfortably and clearly ahead of Cherry in the queue. 

You want the problem to be the coaching when it's obviously a lack of players good enough. 

Nah, come on. Turner is a decent enough player, but he had an absolute nightmare today and there is no way he should have played 60 mins+. Cherry might not be great, but Turner was a major reason why we were losing that game. If Cherry had come on and been shit we wouldn't have been any worse off. As it happened, Cherry was actually far better than Turner.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Yup. Four players playing for Lions places there, at 9 and 10 . The two Irish players will go. 

If Gibson-Park is going to be a Lion, I don't want to watch rugby anymore. He's shite, although today he was less shite than Price.

The Irish talk about this and they find it hilarious.

Scotland don't have better players than Ireland and they don't have better players than Wales, and the Irish laugh at us for thinking we do.

I don't really care what the Irish think tbh. And if you think there's no one could do better with that squad I don't know what to say to you 

Just now, BucksburnDandy said:

The lack of progress results wise speaks for itself in terms of the coaching team.

Yeah cos they can totally just invent players that are better than guys that have won Grand Slams, Champions Cups and have dominated the Pro14.

We used to lose heavily to Ireland and Wales. Now we're completely competitive in the matches. We have a winning record against England over the past four years.

It's absolute fantasy to say there's a lack of progress in results. It's just manifestly, obviously not true.

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I don't really care what the Irish think tbh. And if you think there's no one could do better with that squad I don't know what to say to you 

You should care what the Irish think, because they're not blinded by bias. They've got our number and they know why, and it sure as hell isn't the management.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Nah, come on. Turner is a decent enough player, but he had an absolute nightmare today and there is no way he should have played 60 mins+. Cherry might not be great, but Turner was a major reason why we were losing that game. If Cherry had come on and been shit we wouldn't have been any worse off. As it happened, Cherry was actually far better than Turner.

Turner was really bad but he's miles better than Cherry in the loose. Do you ever watch Glasgow?

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Hooker is the only position this argument stands up for. Gary Graham was only on the bench to single handedly hand Wales the game a month ago because Townsend had him there ahead of far superior players.

Bollocks. Graham has been in great form for his club.

And Ritchie missed the Wales game. If he's fit, Graham isn't on the bench.

You should care what the Irish think, because they're not blinded by bias. They've got our number and they know why, and it sure as hell isn't the management.

Sure thing pal, the Irish are not blinded by bias in a discussion of how good Scottish vs Irish players are. Townsend is a busted flush

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

If Gibson-Park is going to be a Lion, I don't want to watch rugby anymore. He's shite, although today he was less shite than Price.

He’s precisely the type of dull, plodding, solid player Gatland loves.  

Scotland are what Scotland are, but I’d take that over Gatlandball.  Unfortunately, it means living with 80 minutes of garbage punctuated with exceptional flair from time to time. 

There’s no excuse for Price’s inability to manage a game though. 

Yeah cos they can totally just invent players that are better than guys that have won Grand Slams, Champions Cups and have dominated the Pro14.
We used to lose heavily to Ireland and Wales. Now we're completely competitive in the matches. We have a winning record against England over the past four years.
It's absolute fantasy to say there's a lack of progress in results. It's just manifestly, obviously not true.
Yet we're not winning the matches. Being competitive but not getting over the line is still not good enough. It's still getting beat.

Need to be winning the last two games. Both were there to be had and we let both go. No matter how well Ireland have done player wise over the last decade, that was not a good Ireland team at all today.

I suspect we won't be agreeing on this but there we go.

What we did badly:

Lineout throws were very poor. But Ireland are the best at challenging a lineout in the 6N. That bled into everything else because we couldn't go to touch.

We could not win a ball in the air. Ireland are better in that regard but we should have won some of them. We lost every 50-50. That's what cost us the first try, the penalty to give Ireland the win and a dozen possessions in between.

Fundamentally, with ball in hand we didn't play our game often enough. Don't know what caused that but it didn't help that Finn Russell had a poor game.

4 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Sure thing pal, the Irish are not blinded by bias in a discussion of how good Scottish vs Irish players are. Townsend is a busted flush

There are sandwiches that know rugby better than you.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Ignoring all the other discussions about coaching, can we take a minute to wonder why people continue to try to make Huw Jones into a full back?

I don’t watch domestic games as I don’t have Premier so this is news to me.  Jones is summed up in his try today.  He’s a devastating finisher from centre.