Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 hour ago, ajwffc said:

we play england at the SoFi Stadium in California on the 10th july and Romania a week later in Bucharest 

I read that on Wikipedia. However there's nothing listed on the SRU website or suchlike. I'm wondering if it's happening... 

13 minutes ago, come on shire said:

I read that on Wikipedia. However there's nothing listed on the SRU website or suchlike. I'm wondering if it's happening... 

i have seen info about England's tour of North America on their travel site 

On 04/04/2021 at 17:46, John Lambies Doos said:

Well Gatland now has excuse to not pick Watson and DVM

Watson can't be blamed for that, but we already knew DTH is a poor defender and passer. He absolutely sold a try against France in Paris too. He might travel but I wouldn't put him in the test side. 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Watson can't be blamed for that, but we already knew DTH is a poor defender and passer. He absolutely sold a try against France in Paris too. He might travel but I wouldn't put him in the test side. 

DTH is 34, plays in America and is Canadian so was always going to struggle to make the tour imo 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Squidge's video on the France game is out. The Harris tribute is... surprising.

Also good for showing how well Russell played, considering some of the moronic comments about what a liability he was in that game.

14 minutes ago, GAD said:

Also good for showing how well Russell played, considering some of the moronic comments about what a liability he was in that game.

I totally missed how good Russell's kicking was, and it never occurred to me that the drop goal attempt was strategic.

I should have learned by now not to form an opinion until Squidge has explained why I'm wrong.

ETA Just realised that might explain Russell's drop goal attempt at the end of the England game. Sure, it went wrong, but if he's missed normally then we'd have been receiving a drop-out 22 with the clock already in the red. 

Edited by GordonS

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

That was what jumped out to me from the vid as well. Showing Russell kicking to one place so that the fullback/whoever is expecting that the next time and then changing it up is a great example of how smart he is. Much harder to be a good kicking 10 when you don't have 3/4 guys in your outside backs who are crazy in the air and you can just bomb it like some of his competitors for the Lions shirt

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Just watching this Bath game. Zach Mercer would have won a fuckload of caps and would probably be pushing for the Lions if he'd stuck with Scotland (or we had stuck with him...)

his head was turned by Jones and was just picked to keep him from us like they are trying to do with Ewan Ashman

5 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

his head was turned by Jones and was just picked to keep him from us like they are trying to do with Ewan Ashman

Mercer has stated on numerous occasions that he only ever wanted to play for England or NZ (his old man being a Kiwi). Scotland was never an option after he left school.

I sometimes think it's a catch 22 for Jones. It's great to have such a huge pool of players but to state the obvious you need to stick with a team to build anything, and you'll always have folk talking about Marcus Smith whenever Ford or Farrell aren't at their best etc.

Not really defensible with Simmonds and Mercer though given Nathan Hughes got 20 caps under Jones.

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

9 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Are they talking about picking Ashman? I knew they were doing it with Bevan Rodd, who qualifies for Scotland, but I thought Ashman was pretty commited to Scotland.

9 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Mercer has stated on numerous occasions that he only ever wanted to play for England or NZ (his old man being a Kiwi). Scotland was never an option after he left school.

I didn't know that. The interview I read with him was that he got dropped by Scotland U18s because he decided to sign for Bath instead of stay in the Scottish system (effectively sign for Glasgow I think) and that was the point Jones told him he'd be a England star anyway do not to bother.

18 minutes ago, GAD said:

Are they talking about picking Ashman? I knew they were doing it with Bevan Rodd, who qualifies for Scotland, but I thought Ashman was pretty commited to Scotland

I can't remember where but definitely read that Ashman has Eddie in his ear yeah. Didn't really know rodd and that's a trickier one as Sutherland, Kebble and presumably Schoeman would be ahead of him.

Eta here it is image.thumb.png.e7b76c376f491c3b29304971c0373a06.png

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I can't remember where but definitely read that Ashman has Eddie in his ear yeah. Didn't really know rodd and that's a trickier one as Sutherland, Kebble and presumably Schoeman would be ahead of him.

Eta here it is image.thumb.png.e7b76c376f491c3b29304971c0373a06.png

Interesting. I actually think for a professional, putting aside emotional attachments, playing for Scotland is actually a pretty good option. It's much easier to get into the side, and international rugby is so important to your profile these days, as well as financially, and Scotland are pretty competitive these days. Also, the SRU will let you play anywhere so you can go to France or England and make money, or you can play in Scotland and get managed properly and will probably get another few years out of your career.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Interesting. I actually think for a professional, putting aside emotional attachments, playing for Scotland is actually a pretty good option. It's much easier to get into the side, and international rugby is so important to your profile these days, as well as financially, and Scotland are pretty competitive these days. Also, the SRU will let you play anywhere so you can go to France or England and make money, or you can play in Scotland and get managed properly and will probably get another few years out of your career.

Aye, in 90% of cases I'd agree with that. If you're Ashman surely you're thinking that Scotland have two very good hookers (and two decent but limited ones) but they're both getting on and have injury issues/have suffered poor form in the past. He should be confident that if he gets an opportunity and impresses he could be number 1 choice by the World Cup.

Obviously England are far more likely to win things so if you are very confident you'll get in or are earmarked from a young age then you'd choose to commit there. The other exception would be in the case of someone like Rodd where there's already good depth in the squad and you may as well bide your time until you're a little older.

After completely forgetting he was theoretically qualified for Scotland I am absolutely raging Mercer picked England though. Him in that back row would be superb to see. His treatment has probably influenced a fair few others though. Redpath choosing Scotland after moving to bath seems not to be a coincidence. 

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye, in 90% of cases I'd agree with that. If you're Ashman surely you're thinking that Scotland have two very good hookers (and two decent but limited ones) but they're both getting on and have injury issues/have suffered poor form in the past. He should be confident that if he gets an opportunity and impresses he could be number 1 choice by the World Cup.

Obviously England are far more likely to win things so if you are very confident you'll get in or are earmarked from a young age then you'd choose to commit there. The other exception would be in the case of someone like Rodd where there's already good depth in the squad and you may as well bide your time until you're a little older.

After completely forgetting he was theoretically qualified for Scotland I am absolutely raging Mercer picked England though. Him in that back row would be superb to see. His treatment has probably influenced a fair few others though. Redpath choosing Scotland after moving to bath seems not to be a coincidence. 

Yeah, the SRU hierarchy don't have the best record when it comes treating players properly over the years, but with England it seems to be Jones himself who has a really bad reputation for fucking over players by telling them they are in his plans, bringing them along and maybe capping them on a summer tour, then completely dropping them right out the picture and never speaking to them again. It's not just dual qualified players either, the treatment of guys like both the Simmonds at Exeter, Marcus Smith, Lowoski and pretty much every scrum half who has been in the squad that isn't Ben Youngs has just been bizarre.

ETA, hadn't thought of the Redpath change of mind after moving to Bath, but makes a lot of sense. 

Edited by GAD