Rugby Union

kiwififer

Given some of the "homer" decisions the Irish teams get nothing would surprise me playing in Galway, but that was never a red card, definite yellow though.

I've seen softer reds given against irish teams. Some if the refereeing in the past has been a joke

The final league game last season summed up the inconsistencies - Puafisi was red carded, after a TMO review, for leading with his head. 10 mins later, Ah You knocked himself out tackling Fraser Brown while leading with his head, and they didn't even bother to review it.

Was it Leinster Edinburgh last season where the Leinster player was banned for a high challenge yet ref during the game didn't even produce a card?

Was it Leinster Edinburgh last season where the Leinster player was banned for a high challenge yet ref during the game didn't even produce a card?

Yep, should have been a red card and potentially a penalty try as he was the last defender. Decision was just a penalty.

So what's with the big turnaround since last season? Connacht looked great against Leinster and beat Glasgow quite easily.

Built up a lot of momentum when other sides had lost players to rwc and 6N. Also doesn't look like they had a great pre season. They didn't just look rusty v Glasgow (only had 1 pre season match) but didn't look anywhere near fit enough. Also aki had a bit of a mare and he's a real talisman for them. Toony deserves credit as well really got tactics right.

13 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Do you think Wilson was a red? I was surprised they were considering it. I thought it was late and a fully justified yellow but I thought he was committed and the tackle was fine under normal circumstance. 

I've just watched the game back tonight (commentary is hard to hear in the pub) and on the ref-mike he talks about the possibility of a 'dangerous' tackle. However, Wilson was deemed to hit the bottom of the thigh as opposed to the knee so gets away with the yellow. Lots of ligaments in the knee which can end a season at least.

Edited by come on shire

5 hours ago, dogmc said:

Built up a lot of momentum when other sides had lost players to rwc and 6N. Also doesn't look like they had a great pre season. They didn't just look rusty v Glasgow (only had 1 pre season match) but didn't look anywhere near fit enough. Also aki had a bit of a mare and he's a real talisman for them. Toony deserves credit as well really got tactics right.

Totally agree with that first sentence. Don't get me wrong, they could only play against what was put in front of them last season and they played very well.

Their home game vs Ospreys on Sat night could tell if they're now a big-hitter who just had a bad day at the office vs Glasgow, or infact just an Irish version of The Rembrandts or Deep Blue Something.

Edited by come on shire

Last season, the combination of Henshaw and Aki was devastating - unfortunately for them, Henshaw is away to Leinster, and Aki had a mare. Glasgow also smashed them at the breakdown, which is where Connacht were dominant last season.

I don't think they'll fall away to also-rans this season, but it will be tougher for them. Their home record is also usually very good - I'd be surprised if they take another doing in Galway like they did on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Last season, the combination of Henshaw and Aki was devastating - unfortunately for them, Henshaw is away to Leinster, and Aki had a mare. Glasgow also smashed them at the breakdown, which is where Connacht were dominant last season.

I don't think they'll fall away to also-rans this season, but it will be tougher for them. Their home record is also usually very good - I'd be surprised if they take another doing in Galway like they did on Saturday.

Combination of players lost and other teams not being caught cold regarding World Cup. 

Yep I'd agree. Reckon they have a shot at play offs still. Very few if any teams will do what Glasgow did especially 2nd half into the wind. It was a helluva performance. Having a neutral ref helps too mind.

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Ally Muldowny is away to get mega-bucks in France and AJ McGinty, a stand-out fly-half, is away to the Sale Sharks too. 

I booked my flights for the Cardiff Blues game a week on Fri.  Ex Ulster tank Nick Williams plays for them.  As does Rey Lee-Lo.  Tough game down there.

It is getting reported that Gatland will be the next Lions coach. After he was spotted in Edinburgh in a Lions polo outside the venue for today's announcement

df8f5d6800278eb8f4a31265b2192d8d.jpg

Ugh.....well least our players will be fresh for the season after it. It'll be the usual England / Wales select with 3 token irish players johnny gray and Stuart hogg to be water carriers.

Ugh.....well least our players will be fresh for the season after it. It'll be the usual England / Wales select with 3 token irish players johnny gray and Stuart hogg to be water carriers.

I think Scotland are playing Australia or some of the Pacific Islands sides during the summer? There will be three Scots in the Lions squad one to sit on the bench for every game