Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp

First Irish try should never have happened.  Was a definite penalty for the late tackle on Hogg, and the Irish guy was offside when the ball was kicked through.

It's our fault we lost, but we got no help from a pretty poor referee.

Need to beat Wales and France now as a bare minimum in order to have had a respectable campaign. Basic errors eg Kinghorn dropping a high ball under no pressure, Jones fumbling it when he could have let it go out, and the mess between Seymour and maitland all led to losing points, and until we start to be as clinical as that we'll always be on the cusp of something special but not quite there. Really should be picking up a LBP as a minimum in every home game.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Jones isn't the player he was last year, that's for sure. There's a reason why he's hardly playing rugby for Glasgow.  

We should be looking at changing Jones for the French game. 

As to the pack...God, how we miss Barclay and Watson. I'd also remove Harley from the squad, for good....he's garbage. 

I'm not as in to rugby as a lot of guys here but from my outside view, would it be fair to say that Gregor Townsend hasn't really taken us forward?

Every game I tune in to, we seem to guilty of basic handling erros and poor decision making in attack, while conceding very cheap points. It looks like we have gone backwards defensively since they binned Vern Cotter.

Why have we not progressed much? Are our players too limited? Or does the coaching leave a lot to be desired?

I'm not as in to rugby as a lot of guys here but from my outside view, would it be fair to say that Gregor Townsend hasn't really taken us forward?

Every game I tune in to, we seem to guilty of basic handling erros and poor decision making in attack, while conceding very cheap points. It looks like we have gone backwards defensively since they binned Vern Cotter.

Why have we not progressed much? Are our players too limited? Or does the coaching leave a lot to be desired?
I don't think it's coaching but the fact that our players decision making at times can be bizarre. We lost today because of individual errors not tactics.

Look the ref wasn't great but Ireland were not offside for 1st try and the crossing was debatable. Never saw a forward pass either. Agree about Hogg penalty though. Ireland have better depth and are far too streetwise for us. We see it when we play Munster and Leinster in the big games, and how these teams continuously grind out champions cup runs. That was another phycological boost for Ireland pre world cup..

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Look the ref wasn't great but Ireland were not offside for 1st try and the crossing was debatable. Never saw a forward pass either. Agree about Hogg penalty though. Ireland have better depth and are far too streetwise for us. We see it when we play Munster and Leinster in the big games, and how these teams continuously grind out champions cup runs. That was another phycological boost for Ireland pre world cup..

I thought Ireland were one-dimensional crash ball garbage for a lot of the game. 

They'll always be a team that can kill off a game when they're in front with 15 mins left...they're excellent at that. 

I suspect that if Scotland had been in front at any point in the second half, we would have won. The trick with Ireland is to put points on the board when you have the chance, and that's why the last 10 minutes of the first half were utterly decisive. 

If we'd went into the second half 7 or 10 points in front...as we should have.....then Ireland would have had to chase the game, and that would have been far more difficult for them.

Scotland are always 'looking promising' but never take that step. Poorest Irish performance I've seen for a while and they still won well because we couldn't convert. The Seymour/Maitland error, the inability to convert before half time, the dropped balls. It was frustrating all round.

Scotland seem very like Glasgow under Townsend- it's a bit all or nothing and we need a moment of magic to score.

Poite was shite, but it is a side show- we had enough opportunity there to win a game.

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

We can't go to Japan with Laidlaw as 9. He kills us anytime we are near the opposition try line. Having to go wide for all our tries isn't feasible.

Laidlaw is a god to some however so brave to drop him, especially after Price imploded in Cardiff! He's a safe pair of hands but I would like to see Horne be considered for a start. 

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Jones isn't the player he was last year, that's for sure. There's a reason why he's hardly playing rugby for Glasgow.  

We should be looking at changing Jones for the French game. 

As to the pack...God, how we miss Barclay and Watson. I'd also remove Harley from the squad, for good....he's garbage. 

Jones isn't playing enough. I mean I think he has more Scotland caps than starts for Glasgow since he joined! Not sure who we bring in- Johnston/Grigg is 1st choice at Glasgow...

Agreed on the back row, although Struass was good and is the 8 we need. Harley is in the squad because he is flexible and able to cover 2nd and back row. Need to look back and see if Harley did much wrong- but I was frustrated by other matters!