What Are You Drinking ?

On 04/11/2023 at 13:51, DA Baracus said:

Please never drink this nonsense.

image-211d57c3-21f2-4010-97cf-84f383d94ba44249889924079270818.thumb.jpg.10ae3b2d95b58d159ab6ed2abde02cc8.jpg

Thought it would just be a brown ale. Instead it tasted like salty vegan bacon with nondescript mulch.

Does it use a smoked malt? I've tried to like smoked beers really hard, from the Schlenkerla stuff thru grodziskies and a smoked helles and I've managed to isolate the taste as being the Tofurky brand lunchmeat slices, which ties in vegan bacon. To the point that this wasn't actually the worst of them, due to the spice rub (its brewed with the spice rub Manny's use for their pastrami) in the wort playing with that note. 

image.png.f1c8c0e26bb41caba1b26b6d85636c1a.png

Edited by carpetmonster

1 hour ago, carpetmonster said:

Does it use a smoked malt? I've tried to like smoked beers really hard, from the Schlenkerla stuff thru grodziskies and a smoked helles and I've managed to isolate the taste as being the Tofurky brand lunchmeat slices, which ties in vegan bacon. To the point that this wasn't actually the worst of them, due to the spice rub (its brewed with the spice rub Manny's use for their pastrami) in the wort playing with that note. 

image.png.f1c8c0e26bb41caba1b26b6d85636c1a.png

Not sure, would need to check (still have one can!).

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure, would need to check (still have one can!).

Doesn’t say on their site. If it *is* that, you might be best giving smoked beers a bodyswerve if you’re getting the exact same meat substitute note off them as I am. My mate’s been to Bamberg (where Schlenkerla is) and he reckons they’re way better accompanying food, but they’re still not for me. 

Edited by carpetmonster

21 hours ago, philpy said:

This is lovely.  £2.50 with the nectar card at sainsburys.  Annoyingly though,  it only appears to be seasonal..

20231119_213328.jpg

I’d go back and get more mate, 2.50 for anything barrel aged is a cracking deal. It’ll keep for literally years as well. Folks do 5 year verticals with Goose Island BCBS to see how it changes from 5 years ago to now and compare.