Scottish Hip Hop

Breaking Decency

So P&B. While I'm chatting away I might as well ask...your view on Scottish Hip Hop?

I've always listened to a lot of 'British' Hip Hop, ie. London/Bristol centric stuff. In the last few weeks I've got ahold of some Scottish Hip Hop- Loki, Eastborn, All Time High, NorthernXposure etc. I must admit the beats are great (especially with All Time High) but I do think the Scottish accent isn't so suited to a natural flow.

What is everyone's input on the scene?

Guest Chipsteak
So P&B. While I'm chatting away I might as well ask...your view on Scottish Hip Hop?

I've always listened to a lot of 'British' Hip Hop, ie. London/Bristol centric stuff. In the last few weeks I've got ahold of some Scottish Hip Hop- Loki, Eastborn, All Time High, NorthernXposure etc. I must admit the beats are great (especially with All Time High) but I do think the Scottish accent isn't so suited to a natural flow.

What is everyone's input on the scene?

If it was not for Jimmy Shand there would be no Hip Hop or Rock and roll.

Never ever heard Scottish Hip Hop but to be honest i prefer British Hip hop to the stuff thats coming out of the US.

If it was not for Jimmy Shand there would be no Hip Hop or Rock and roll.

Never ever heard Scottish Hip Hop but to be honest i prefer British Hip hop to the stuff thats coming out of the US.

Having a laugh surely? Rock and Roll came from Blues music from the Southern utd states, as does most popular music.

Guest Chipsteak
Having a laugh surely? Rock and Roll came from Blues music from the Southern utd states, as does most popular music.

Where do you think Blues came from ?

Have to admit I've not heard that much Scottish stuff. MarreZ and I reminisce over an old group called II Tone Committee who we heard back in the day, they got a bit of play in 1991 round about the time of Silver Bullet, Gunshot, Hijack etc and sounded similar. Have seen a few flyers and stuff and seen DJs like Freek Menoovers, although they've been playing US stuff when I've seen them.

Also like what I've heard from Rustie and Hudson Mohawk, but they're not strictly hiphop, they're somewhere between hiphop like Flying Lotus and J Dilla, R&B and dance music eg dubstep, electronica etc. Still, the stuff I've heard is generally great.

I listen to huge amounts of hip hop from the Scottish scene, it's constantly growing and getting better (in both beat production and rhymes). I can't buy the argument that ''the Scottish accent doesn't sound right'' or whatever, anyone with talent can rap over a beat. Rap in Scotland has been going for a lot longer than people think, too - II Tone Committee and Kriminal Records have been going for ages. Here is a video by Big Div from 1992:

...but don't let that put you off.

For me, Loki is Scotland's best rapper, he is young, troubled but extremely talented - download his albums 'Friendly World' and 'Welcome to the 9th World' for free here. Many people say these are the two most complete Scottish hip hop albums ever, and it's hard to disagree. These two are absolute musts.

Scatabrainz 's Moonlight Music is another album I would recommend, especially tracks like Across The Room (ft Loki) and Chillin'strumental.

For something a little more hard hitting and different, check out Tapedekrok's Volume 1, containing some fantastic production. To get a feel for it, I'd recommend you start by listening to Jee4ce and ZX81's.

Podcast #6 from bringdaruckus is another great listen, showing off the true talent of local DJs, the tracks from Nasty P and Whys are always on rotation on my iPod.

Delving even further into the experimental, the 'LuckyMe' collective includes artists such as Hudson Mohawke, Rustie and and Surface EMP. To make a point of not moving onto electronic/experimental I'll stay within rap and recommend to you an album by Surface EMP (a collaboration of Hudson Mohawke and SumWon): http://www.box.net/shared/k31nzdy5bz

Other single tracks that stand out to me as must-downloads are:

Mr Jinx - Throughout the Years

Solareye - Gotta Get Outta Bed

Hosie - My Jeans, My T & My Watch

That's all I can think of for now.

My flatmate and cousin are in a scottish hip hop/pop band that are doing really well just now and look like they could be destined for bigger things. Have a listen and see what you think.

www.myspace.com/thelafontainesmusic

ive forgotten how to make it a link.

For me, Loki is Scotland's best rapper, he is young, troubled but extremely talented - download his albums 'Friendly World' and 'Welcome to the 9th World' for free here. Many people say these are the two most complete Scottish hip hop albums ever, and it's hard to disagree. These two are absolute musts.

I'm sure I know his sister. He's related to Rosie Kane, I think!