Referee Quiz

cowshedphil

Right, here's one that cropped up in the game I watched today:

Ball is running out towards the goal line, chased by forward and covering defender. The forward gets to it in time to get a touch, so the ball stays in play, but the momentum of both players takes them off the pitch and both finish on the ground. The forward is quickest to react, gets to his feet and looks all set to get back onto the field in time to get to the ball first, but before he can do so the defender brings him down. (Both players are still off the field when this happens.)

Decision?

i would have said a foul given that the ball is still in play, and therefore the play is still active, just because both players are the wrong side of the line shouldnt matter imo

im probably wrong but thats how id see it

i would have said a foul given that the ball is still in play, and therefore the play is still active, just because both players are the wrong side of the line shouldnt matter imoim probably wrong but thats how id see it

Agree with this. And a yellow for unsportsmanlike conduct

An offence can only be considered a foul if it occurs on the field of play. If an offence is committed outside the field of play then the referee can caution or send off the offending player, but play should be restarted with a drop ball.

An offence can only be considered a foul if it occurs on the field of play. If an offence is committed outside the field of play then the referee can caution or send off the offending player, but play should be restarted with a drop ball.

Yeah, that's my view too. The ref in this instance booked the player and gave a free kick where the ball was. I'd no problem with the first bit, but as I understand it they should have restarted with a drop ball.

Archived