Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

I dunno if I've just been paying more attention recently but it seems that there are just constant bad bad hings happening to civilians across the globe right now.  Can think of at least 11 countries there's been atrocities on civilians since September started, and that's only ones I know of so there will be much more. 

Reveal hidden contents

Congo

Ukraine

Iraq

Palestine

Sudan

Nagorno Karabakh

Myanmar

Kenya

Somalia

Syria

Israel

Shite shite times. 

I kind of tuned out of the news cycle shortly after the Ukrane invasion. Following covid I'd found myself watching the news 24/7 and it was beginning to affect my mental health, not in a good way. Get most of my news coverage now right here on P&B now

8 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Reports that 1,500 Hamas militants have been killed inside Israel. That seems a very high number. 

Israeli deaths, military and civilian, have been confirmed as exceeding 1,000. 

Who will be verifying the numbers of Palestinians killed and whether they’re combatants or civilians?

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

Would it surprise anyone to learn that David Baddiel has said something extremely stupid and is now sending people screenshots from his own book in support of his argument?

It must be truly galling for your average Jewish Brit that the three people who’ve appointed themselves as the celebrity spokesperson for the Jewish community are David Baddiel, Tracy Ann Oberman and Rachel Riley. 

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

It must be truly galling for your average Jewish Brit that the three people who’ve appointed themselves as the celebrity spokesperson for the Jewish community are David Baddiel, Tracy Ann Oberman and Rachel Riley. 

Probably not given your average Jewish Brit is quite right wing. 

(not anti semitic btw) 

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Reports that 1,500 Hamas militants have been killed inside Israel. That seems a very high number. 

Israeli deaths, military and civilian, have been confirmed as exceeding 1,000. 

How about just saying that Israel, have, as expected, reacted disproportionately Chris. 

You are excellent at linking stuff and we all appreciate this. 

13 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

You forgetting Maureen Lipman ?

11 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Probably not given your average Jewish Brit is quite right wing. 

(not anti semitic btw) 

Miriam Margolyes definitely brought that up in the past.  

Guest DannyBlue
Just now, The Golden God said:

Riley and Baddiel claiming Jewish people are in danger in the UK, while the Government are flying Israeli flags all over the place. They seem to think Hamas are going to send soldiers to London and just shoot anyone that looks Jewish on sight. 

They have to be narcissists, the desire by both to make themselves a significant part of the story is simultaneously laughable and sickening.

Many of the responses on Twitter to Humza Yousaf's interview today are absolutely horrific. What a fucking binfire of a place Twitter has become. The whole thing is just horrendous on every level - from the poor buggers on all sides who are caught up in the violence to the thick as shite, warped c***s who have it all figured out in solutions of one syllable. 

16 minutes ago, HTG said:

Many of the responses on Twitter to Humza Yousaf's interview today are absolutely horrific. What a fucking binfire of a place Twitter has become. The whole thing is just horrendous on every level - from the poor buggers on all sides who are caught up in the violence to the thick as shite, warped c***s who have it all figured out in solutions of one syllable. 

I deleted twitter almost a month ago as I found the place utterly unbearable. Can’t say I’ve missed it at all. 

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I dunno if I've just been paying more attention recently but it seems that there are just constant bad bad hings happening to civilians across the globe right now.  Can think of at least 11 countries there's been atrocities on civilians since September started, and that's only ones I know of so there will be much more. 

Hide contents

Congo

Ukraine

Iraq

Palestine

Sudan

Nagorno Karabakh

Myanmar

Kenya

Somalia

Syria

Israel

Shite shite times. 

Yemen, getting pummelled by Saudi.

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Some of the Rangers* fans  on twitter are mental. Especially Rangers* fans  and the right wing Rangers* fans cracking up over not projecting an Israeli flag somewhere in Scotland and having a FM worried for his family in Gaza.

FTFY 

(fucking weirdos)

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

Saw this tweet and didn't like it:

Hig.png.6feed4a55273808d4a162771ba684a6a.png

The Russian invasion and occupation of Ukraine began in late February 2014, with Crimea the first annexed territory but that didn’t provoke a military response from Ukraine. Shortly after, the separatist uprisings began in eastern Ukraine. Those were predominantly manned by local volunteers but were entirely instigated by, armed by, paid by, and mostly commanded by Russia. The Ukrainian resistance began in response to that. The state military was in disarray at the time, still years away from receiving US arms (that began in 2017). Corruption was so bad in 2014 that coordination and funding from Kyiv was limited (.https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/ukraine-donbas-conflict-a-personal-reflection-war-olesya-khromeychuk/) That meant the frontline state military was only a ragtag regional affair. Paramilitary units were therefore very important in the early resistance movement, examples were Right Sector and the now infamous Azov Battalion. Right Sector managed to quell an attempted uprising in Odesa in 2014. That included burning down a building with 48 local pro-Russia supporters (not all were militants) trapped inside (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Odesa_clashes). 

Two of the separatist uprisings were successful, in Donetsk and Luhansk. The state reacted by blockading the two regions on the Ukrainian side. Government forces and their paramilitaries then shelled the areas. Unguided rockets were fired and killed civilians (https://www.hrw.org/news/2014/07/24/ukraine-unguided-rockets-killing-civilians). Cluster munition rockets were fired and killed civilians (https://www.hrw.org/news/2014/10/20/ukraine-widespread-use-cluster-munitions). Incendiary rockets were fired which didn’t kill any civilians but likely terrorised them as several had their houses burnt down by the rockets (https://www.vice.com/en/article/a3894a/a-rain-of-fire-ukrainian-forces-used-little-known-soviet-era-incendiary-weapons-to-attack-ilovaisk). There were summary executions of local civilians who were stopped at informal checkpoints and accused of being terrorists. The Aidar Battalion were particularly prolific with that (https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/Countries/UA/OHCHRThematicReportUkraineJan2014-May2016_EN.pdf).

Now to make the comparison. The extremist ideology of some of those 2014-15 Ukrainian resistance groups can be compared with Hamas. The belief in collective blame can be compared; Donetsk civilians were viewed as collaborators in 2014/15 Ukraine by the resistance so were not spared. To an extent, they still seem to be getting collectively blamed, as old women are being jailed as collaborators in subsequently liberated Donetsk areas (https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/two-woman-accused-collaboration-ukraine-russia-donetsk-/). Is shelling civilians to death or dragging them out their cars and executing them the same as machine gunning them, fish in a barrel style, at a music concert? No, its not, but we’re not looking for a precise analogue here. What is the same in both cases is the end result, civilian corpses. The behaviour of the 2014/15 Ukrainian resistance was after mere months of invasion and occupation. By contrast, the Gazan resistance now has decades and generations of ethnic cleansing and massacres behind them, followed by a blockade so severe it bans the import of things like coriander (food seasoning is a non-essential, they can eat but they can’t enjoy it). 

To conclude, am I saying we should support Hamas? Of course fucking not. I’m saying its wrong to dismiss parallels between Gazan and Ukrainian militants as outlandish. 

Some good points mate but as soon as I saw the name Eliot Higgins I knew it'd be a lot of shite