Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

43 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Normal stuff again.

Israel places great importance on getting good PR, fostering public support from western populations and “winning” the propaganda war due to its reliance on the West for security and prosperity.

I find it quite staggering to see that pretty much every Israeli elected representative/ambassador/spokesperson have been coming across as unhinged lunatics in these past few weeks. To accuse the SG of blood libel for what was actually a very measured statement is beyond the pale.

They seem to have gone the Trumpian route instead of trying to position themselves as rational and statesmanlike, and I could see public opinions on Israel hardening as a result.

55 minutes ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Normal stuff again.

I agree with his initial comments.  The UN was establish to prevent atrocities and has failed.  Israel has been carrying out atrocities against Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank for years and the UN has failed to do anything about it.

There are, of course, reasons for this.

1 hour ago, Ziggy Sobotka said:

Normal stuff again.

I've never heard of blood libel before so i looked it up (Britannica) 

Blood libel, also called blood accusation, the superstitious accusation that Jews ritually sacrifice Christian children at Passover to obtain blood for unleavened bread.

Seems like a bit of a stretch.

17 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I've never heard of blood libel before so i looked it up (Britannica) 

Blood libel, also called blood accusation, the superstitious accusation that Jews ritually sacrifice Christian children at Passover to obtain blood for unleavened bread.

Seems like a bit of a stretch.

I've never heard of that either, do they not have Aldi?

My Palestinian colleague got in touch. 

• Hi A.... - horrified by what's happening. I can't help but think of your family just now - I hope they're all safe & well.

•  
  • A.... sent the following messages at 9:26 AM
  •  

I cannot tell you how much that means to me, A... My family are okay, struggling mentally, but all are well so far.

• I can only pray it stays that way, because they started bombing near them this week, and that's never a good sign.
  •  

Her family are on the West Bank. My instinct would be to run, get everyone away but I don’t know if that's possible. 

Guest DannyBlue
Just now, Donathan said:

You have been repeatedly anti-Israel on this very thread, among other posters. 

What's that got to do with an antisemite drawing Hitler moustaches on posters on children?

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That’s not anti-semitic, though.

Yip, it's like groundhog day on here sometimes. Yet again we have a deliberate attempt to brand condemnation of the Israeli state as anti-semitism. It's getting boring now. Being "anti Israel" is NOT being "anti Jewish". 

29 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That’s not anti-semitic, though.

It’s these sort of attitudes that are allowing our streets to be filled with protestors openly calling for Jihad. Low level anti-semitism is abhorrent in itself, but we’ve already seen one terrorist attack carried out in the name of Palestine in the UK as the telegraph reported the other day. We don’t want any more of this happening. 

1 minute ago, Donathan said:

It’s these sort of attitudes that are allowing our streets to be filled with protestors openly calling for Jihad. Low level anti-semitism is abhorrent in itself, but we’ve already seen one terrorist attack carried out in the name of Palestine in the UK as the telegraph reported the other day. We don’t want any more of this happening. 

Just to provide some context to the bolded part

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/10/22/braverman-metropolitan-police-palestine-rally-jihad-chant/

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Sorry, is your view that any and all criticism of the Israeli government is anti-semitism? 

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

Sorry, is your view that any and all criticism of the Israeli government is anti-semitism? 

Not necessarily, no. If you wanted to criticise the Israeli government for its bin collection rota or the lunch menu at the Knesset canteen, that would not constitute anti-semitism.

Criticising Israel for defending itself against local populations who post an existential threat is where the anti-semitism comes into play.