Flower Of Scotland

Guest Annfield Red

Who should play Flower of Scotland  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Annfield Red

Ah think it's Caledonia (The Tenors) who sing Flower of Scotland and to be honest I'm sick of them spoiling it. I prefer the Pipes and Drums pelting it out.

Comments and Votes Please

Guest Tomsk The Beano

As I've said elsewhere:

someone please get rid of those three prats in kilts and that terrible anthem.

Compare 38,000 singing Flower of Scotland to the 28,000 who were giving it laldy at half time on 500-Miles. There is no comparison, everyone is up on their feet giving it the big welly, so why the hell do we have to listen to a tuneless dirge that kills the atmosphere before a game?

Is there some FIFA rule that states you must play your own anthem?

Lets get the Proclaimers in for the Norway match and a decent sing-song before the game or failing that lets get some proper Scottish singers like Christian, Dean Park or Fish who can at least work a crowd, unlike the three prats.

True proper Scottish entertainer who can take an audiance and have them eating out of the palm of the hand, I'd include Sydney Divine in the list as well.

Look at acts such as Busted, Westlife etc etc they have no stage presence at all and reports of their concerts often say that the crowd were disappointed in them.

When was the last time someone went home from a Christian gig unhappy? (Plus he's been on ToTP with Alan Brazil, John Wark and Alan Rough.)

WTF have Caledon done apart from being ever so slightly camp?

I think Flower of Scotland sung properly is a very inspiring anthem, makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. And in the spirit of this thread "sung properly" does not include 3 opera twats mangling it beyond recognition.

I would get the Proclaimers in to do Flower of Scotland, then they could do 500 miles at half time. Actually they might even get a game if we still can't score!

Pipes and Drums all the fukin way.

Might be a bit biased as my dad played the drums with Carluke at Hampden for years and you cannae beat a bit of bias.

Anything with Pipes and Drums will do me

Couldnt agree more with this thread, the 3 tenors are shocking and look like rugby fans to me as well. Flower of Scotland doesnt work that well with pipe band and big crowd singing along but its still better than the aberation that those 3 tossers belt out.

Credit to the Hampden PA guy for 500 miles/Loch Lomond at half time, always gets the place jumping and makes for a great way to get the team going as they come back out. Great to hear the Tartan Army belting out a wee bit of Gaelic as well, though I dont know if many of them actually realise it!

Guest Lichtiedaft

Being a regular attender at Murrayfield to watch Scotland, all I can say is don't be too despondent about the three tenors. We had Darius last season.

Last night the anthem was atrocious again, it was ridiculously fast, and they did the first verse, then the second verse, then the first verse again - this has been done before, so the fans were expecting it and cheered at the end of it - at which point they tried to play the second verse again! Thankfully they got drowned out - a total embarrassment.

I think Flower of Scotland sung properly is a very inspiring anthem, makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. And in the spirit of this thread "sung properly" does not include 3 opera twats mangling it beyond recognition.

I would get the Proclaimers in to do Flower of Scotland, then they could do 500 miles at half time. Actually they might even get a game if we still can't score!

I agree with this totally.

Right, I will probably be the only person here saying that Caledon isn't a bad choice, but (....and it is a but) there has to be a caveat to this...

Let them sing (with the crowd chanting away) the first two verses, then let a lone piper (or a pipe band, either way) play the last verse and have the crowd join in. There are several reasons for this.

One:

I think having the national anthem (if you can call it that) sung by professionals ends up taking the song away from those who it matters most to (ie: us, the punters). There must be an ability to join in, Caledon doesn't do that.

Two:

The most important verse, in these multicultural times, must be the last ("Those days are past now, And in the past they must remain. But we can still rise now, And be the nation again". Poignant words you have to say) we need to have this belted out by the masses. Think of the atmosphere it would generate. Which brings me onto...

Three:

What we need most is the roar of the crowd at the end of the anthem. We've all felt it (well at least those who have graced the national stadium) where the crowd finish and up comes that roar. Even typing here and thinking about it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Caledon's operatic (although good) version just doesn't seem to rise up from the stomach, it needs to have that hold where you want to grab 40,000 (50k+?) of your fellow Scots and rush down onto the pitch and claim it (as your birthright) to own any team playing on the hallowed turf!

OK, so the last point is perhaps a touch on the jingo-istic, and fair play, and partizan nationalism on the Scottish behalf does tend to be done so cheesily that it would stick in your throat like a plastic tubed, tartan drummer boy. That said, I want the opposition to be shitting bricks when they move away from the lineup at the start. I want them asking themselves "Shit, can we even get a draw out of this?". I want them saying "Pressley is a world class defender" (ok, so I made the last one up!) but you get where I am coming from, don't you?

Flower of Scotland will be the "national anthem" for many a year to come, so those hating it should just accept it is in the heart of the majority. However, there is no reason for it to be badly done. It should inspire and just now, Caledon doesn't quite make me fell like I am being inspired.

Pipes and drums every time. At least then, you're not making an ar*e of the national anthem. With pipes and drums, everyone's going to get up and sing because the goosepimples and hairs stand up on the back of your neck, unlike when the Three Tenors do it.

Guest Honest Bob

Get rid of the three tenors, and I'll sing the anthem! Obviously, whilst full of 7 pints of lager that night, I would have sounded great, and in tune and everything!

Seriously though, I thought the atmosphere was great on Wednesday night - what a difference when Hampden is actually three quarters full!

Roll on Norway, let's fill the place and be loud as f*ck!!!

:bounce4

I'm going against the grain here, but I've always disliked the obligatory screech of bagpipes at Scotland games. It's the old brigadoon version of Scotland and it's naff, imo. Give us girls with their pom poms oot dancing to a hard house music version of FOS instead. :P

stairparkrabbit, you might be onto something there.... How about Caledon start it, get to the third verse and on come a set of cheerleaders and a HH version of FOS. Think of the reaction from the fans!

It's crazy talk, but it might just work!

Can't beleive this is even something we're bringing up....Pipes and Drums any day. Great to see the boys on the park belting out the tunes before the game and this should be brought back. Runrig playing Loch Lomond live as well is fantastic along with 500 Miles.

Archived