Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I think another striker would probably be overkill tbh.  I can't say I'm totally enthused by any of Ciftci, Main,Bowman or Newell individually, but as collective they're decent enough to get us to the end of the season. Unless somebody of real quality becomes available I'd probably just hold off.

It definitely seems a bit weird that we were being quoted as being hopeful of a striker after the Hendrie announcement but there's not even been a murmur of a possible name. 

Referring back to Robinson's past two pressers I get the impression that there's a deal they've been working on that's been difficult. He's always seemed certain about bringing in a left back, the striker he's seemed fairly ambiguous about. Personally I got the feeling that the striker situation might have been one that was dependent on movement at other clubs ie: the selling/parent club brings someone else in a shunts the guy we're after a bit further down the pecking order and we're waiting to see what happens there.

Who knows though?

^^ You called it right earlier re depending on other clubs conducting business.  He mentions out of contract players, Stokes? February is a big month - and typical of the clowns that run the fixture list, they have clubs creaking under playing demands now, and only three games scheduled for March. Nutters. Oh, and one game scheduled early April. Wtf? 

To me, the season boils down to February - three winnable and important home games.  SR was right to protect Cifti and Cadden. The points against Partick are way more important on Saturday. Dig in, take nine points ( am I dreaming? ) in Feb and we are safe from relegation, That same nine points will see us in contention for top six. And we have a couple of away days to Dundee which are bonus balls. Scottish cup progression would be beautiful, blagging points off them even better. 

21 hours ago, Swello said:

I loved that. They obviously have a diddy club transfer negotiations playbook - getting a rejection before you've finished your breakfast probably isn't part of the plan.

Wouldn't put it past them to offer 500k at 10pm mind you....

Seems to have been the case that the offer we kb'd from Celtic for Carson was in fact £500k.

Shame the deal for the striker fell through, leaves us looking quite light up top again. 

Tanner’s never a natural striker, was largely ineffective last night. Ciftci is a catch 22, doesn’t look fit but will only get fit by playing regulary. Newell’s currently injured and while I do like the look of him, I’m still not convinced he’s quite ready and is another one who appears to start blowing out his arse after 20 mins. Petravicius like Desp said above, I’m not convinced is even a footballer. 

Main looked a bit leggy last night and wasn’t effective as he has been, took his goal well though and you can’t argue with 3 in 3. However you do wonder how long he can keep it going, he’s doing some shift every game and he’s literally the only one scoring at the minute. If/when he stops, you worry about where the goals are going to come from. 

Also, the quicker Frear and Cadden get fit the better cause I don’t think I can take much more of watching Grimshaw and Rose playing out wide. It’s genuinely painful to watch. Last night we were crying out for some pace and creativity and were much improved when Bigi and Cadden came on.

I know he frustrates at times, me more than anyone, however I think it might be worth pursuing with Bigi from the start for the next few games. Our midfield is devoid of anyone else who can pass a ball and you saw from our goal last night the difference having a midfielder with vision and a decent range of passing makes. 

10 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Shame the deal for the striker fell through, leaves us looking quite light up top again. 

Tanner’s never a natural striker, was largely ineffective last night. Ciftci is a catch 22, doesn’t look fit but will only get fit by playing regulary. Newell’s currently injured and while I do like the look of him, I’m still not convinced he’s quite ready and is another one who appears to start blowing out his arse after 20 mins. Petravicius like Desp said above, I’m not convinced is even a footballer. 

Main looked a bit leggy last night and wasn’t effective as he has been, took his goal well though and you can’t argue with 3 in 3. However you do wonder how long he can keep it going, he’s doing some shift every game and he’s literally the only one scoring at the minute. If/when he stops, you worry about where the goals are going to come from. 

Also, the quicker Frear and Cadden get fit the better cause I don’t think I can take much more of watching Grimshaw and Rose playing out wide. It’s genuinely painful to watch. Last night we were crying out for some pace and creativity and were much improved when Bigi and Cadden came on.

I know he frustrates at times, me more than anyone, however I think it might be worth pursuing with Bigi from the start for the next few games. Our midfield is devoid of anyone else who can pass a ball and you saw from our goal last night the difference having a midfielder with vision and a decent range of passing makes. 

We're not playing to his strengths He made a mistake coming to us.  And now we're turning Campbell into a wrecking ball. SR has earned the right to do as he wishes this season. It would be nice to see us playing football ( sometimes at least ), next season. 

And let's be honest, this brutal high-pressure game we ( try to ) employ ran us knackered in December with our five best players declared lame. We'd need a squad of thirty players to keep that level of physical output up. 

28 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

All of this.

32 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us dig about the free agent market (not Anthony Stokes, though) for a striker.

I'd say we have been guilty of playing shitfest football in games which didn't necessarily merit it. It's got us some great results this season, yes. But I think back to the game at Thistle in December where for 45 minutes we were shocking, gifted 3 goals and looked like we could play forever and not score. Then we brought on Tanner, Bigirimana & Maclean and absolutely bossed the second half. Of course, by that point, the game was already away from us. 

Long story short, I'd like to see us play more creative football. Hopefully we take enough points in February/March to see us safe and actually takes the pressure off us. 

Should see Elliot Frear back in the squad this weekend he's been back full training for the last week or so, hopefully can start him and Cadden out wide and give us some much needed width to get crosses into the box and make us more effective going forward.