Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I happened upon Trevor Carson's da's Twitter feed again last night. Suffice to say he's delighted with Motherwell taking a stand.

:lol:

I find it a stretch to think that Celtic was the bold Trevor's "dream move" tbh.

Edit to add: that timeline...fucking hell.

Edited by capt_oats

Seems like the deal for the striker falling through was a bit of a boot in the baws. The deal was apparently done and he was on his way but his club pulled it. Robinson actually saying that he thought he had signed when they left for Easter Road. I saw the suggestion on Twitter that it was Shay McCartan at Bradford that we were in for. I'll not pretend I know much about him but the bits and pieces I've been able to dig up suggest he might have been a pretty decent option. Signed for Bradford for £100k, Northern Ireland international etc.

Despite the "Robinson chasing another striker" headlines I'd say, perhaps understandably, he seems pretty non-committal about the free agent market. He's saying that if it hadn't been for Bowman and Newell's injuries he wouldn't be looking to bring anyone in and that he plans on taking his time to see who's available and see what the injuries are like. Interesting to see him give James Scott from the u20s a mention, he's nowhere close to ready IMO but equally we'd be better getting him involved than bringing in a Theo Robinson-alike.

Edited by capt_oats

I know that I'll destroy my own argument as we picked up Scott McDonald after the window slammed but I'm sceptical about the type of player who is without a club in February - I wouldn't be banking on getting someone in by that route.

I know that I'll destroy my own argument as we picked up Scott McDonald after the window slammed but I'm sceptical about the type of player who is without a club in February - I wouldn't be banking on getting someone in by that route.

100%. I had a quick look on Transfermarkt and it’s slim pickings as far as realistic options go. Given he’s normally kicking about out of contract I thought someone like Ojamaa might be a shout but no, from the look of things he has a club (and was relatively pish in his 2nd stint anyway).

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Seems like the deal for the striker falling through was a bit of a boot in the baws. The deal was apparently done and he was on his way but his club pulled it. Robinson actually saying that he thought he had signed when they left for Easter Road. I saw the suggestion on Twitter that it was Shay McCartan at Bradford that we were in for. I'll not pretend I know much about him but the bits and pieces I've been able to dig up suggest he might have been a pretty decent option. Signed for Bradford for £100k, Northern Ireland international etc.

Despite the "Robinson chasing another striker" headlines I'd say, perhaps understandably, he seems pretty non-committal about the free agent market. He's saying that if it hadn't been for Bowman and Newell's injuries he wouldn't be looking to bring anyone in and that he plans on taking his time to see who's available and see what the injuries are like. Interesting to see him give James Scott from the u20s a mention, he's nowhere close to ready IMO but equally we'd be better getting him involved than bringing in a Theo Robinson-alike.

Just watched the presser with my afternoon heroin. I found it interesting that Robinson said that there was only one offer for Carson from Celtic and everything else (he implied) was fed to the press or was bollocks (I'm assuming the stuff about him being heartbroken was part of that). If true, another insight into the way things work in reality...

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Just watched the presser with my afternoon heroin. I found it interesting that Robinson said that there was only one offer for Carson from Celtic and everything else (he implied) was fed to the press or was bollocks (I'm assuming the stuff about him being heartbroken was part of that). If true, another insight into the way things work in reality...

The fact that he was pretty dismissive of the suggestion Carson had his "head turned" seemed quite relevant as well.

For all the reality may well have been a fairly mundane situation where Carson's one of about half a dozen options Celtic have sounded out and all the extra media noise around it largely being bullshit it does Motherwell no harm to be seen as a club who will bin a £500k offer from Celtic for a player without a second thought. Similarly the press coverage helps to reinforce the idea that we're a "platform" club.

I'm very much in favour of us keeping up our "if you have to ask how much, you can't afford" policy. Hopefully, going forward, it'll filter out the sort of shite we were getting in the past like Hearts £100k for Cadden and Aberdeen's £350k for Moult last summer.

Edited by capt_oats

7 hours ago, capt_oats said:

What is the point of the under-20 squad if not to be fifth or sixth backup? 

What a boost it would be for Jamie Scott to get on the bench - and with the right man-management, not much harm would be done giving him a few minutes game time.  TBH, I reckon the players we have would rise to the challenge of helping young Jamie on his debut. 

15 minutes ago, WellView said:

What is the point of the under-20 squad if not to be fifth or sixth backup? 

What a boost it would be for Jamie Scott to get on the bench - and with the right man-management, not much harm would be done giving him a few minutes game time.  TBH, I reckon the players we have would rise to the challenge of helping young Jamie on his debut. 

I don't disagree.

However it's a question of whether between them Robinson, Lasley and Craigan feel someone like Scott is ready, he's 17 and still only really finding his feet at u20s level. He's not exactly been prolific in the same way as someone like Mackin was. I think I'm right in saying that this is Scott, Agyeman and Semple's first full season at u20s level, jumping from there to the first team is a big ask.

Just chucking him in and asking him to sink or swim isn't really going to help his development however I totally agree that having him on the bench and giving him minutes would be a good thing. As long as we're not under pressure to rely on him.

I guess it just depends on the injury situations with Newell and Bowman along with who's actually available in the free agent market. If it's looking likely that we're going to be running with a squad of 3 fit first team forwards for any real length of time when we're ideally going to be playing 2 strikers and a #10 then we're definitely light.

Annoyingly this would have been an ideal opportunity for Jake Hastie but his loan at Airdrie seems to have been extended through to the end of the season. He's got a half season of first team games at League 1 level under his belt and really should be one of the next in line for consideration for the first team from the 20s IMO.

Newell is meant to be back for Tuesday nights game with St Johnstone, most likely to sit on the bench, Bowman got another 4 weeks before he returns but Robinson isn't afraid to draft in the kids to the squad whether it's for cover or their performances in trainings and games recently have been of a high standard and they've earned the right to be there.

Kipre on his way to being a million pound transfer this summer.  

I read in The Courier that the loss of Hendry and Allan would damage Dundee. Effectively saying that there was no piuht in signing Murray if you lose your ball-playing central defender and most influential midfielder.  The Dundee result today looks significant.  More impirtant we beat them twice this month than any other result coming down the line. 

I mentioned earlier I liked the five point gap between us and the play-off place. Now we have a six-point gap.  Someone us going to go into late season freefall, and Hamilton look lost.  So the draw today wasn't a calamity. However, once again Robinson goes down the bully route.  IMO, we have players in Bigi, McLean, and Cadden that can carry the ball to the opposition.   We need to see more of that, and hurry Frear back too. 

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-23/

Sparra, Busta and Jay look back on meetings with Hibs and Partick Thistle and look ahead to the Scottish Premiership clash with St Johnstone and Scottish Cup encounter with Dundee at Dens Park. Also on the agenda was reaction to the end of the January transfer window.

In the second half of the podcast the Daily Records Jonny McFarlane and Motherwell assistant boss Keith Lasley joined the lads for a lively discussion on the proposal to introduce Colt teams into the Scottish League

Anyone any sympathy with McCall getting the bullet at Bradford?

I've got to be honest and say I don't like him.  I never really took to him as Motherwell manager, despite his success, and I wanted him out of our club following the Albion Rovers fiasco.  He remained though, followed it up with the Stjarnan shambles and left the club, IMHO, in as much of a mess than McGhee did.

For me, he gets far more credit than he deserves.  You don't see McLeish getting credit as Motherwell boss when he was just as relatively successful.