Pregnancy And Parenting

One of the best pieces of advice we got, pre pregnancy was not to use baby talk with the kids - like calling a cow a cow, rather than a moo-moo etc

Both of ours have always had really good speech for their age, in terms of vocabulary.

This. Absolutely this. I hate people talking to my kids in this way and I will politely correct it when it happens, for example if I hear 'Ooh, Charlie, it's a doggie', is met with 'yes, Charlie. Look at the dog', with a slight emphasis on dog. Moo-cow, choo-choo, bot-bot, they can all gtf.

I wouldn't dream of this. Not because I feel it would hinder Madi's speech development.....but because I would feel a complete knob talking to her this way.

I was watching a show last week with Jo Frost (Supernanny), and they took a large group of kids, gave half of them a book for their parents to read to them and the other half a book with a CD. The kids learnt more words from listening to their parents reading than the CD. Sitting down and reading with them will give them quality time as well as learning more words.

I do read to her daily. I don't start work till 2 o'clock most days so I tend to make a point of spending time with her, which is usually spent playing and me reading to her, I would just like to have something that she could do on her own when we don't have time to read to her.

I'm of the opinion that my children are not idiots and I will not speak to them as if they are.

As I mentioned above, not only will I not talk to her as though she were daft, but I would also feel daft doing it.

Well some of you may have guessed from a not-so-subtle post I made last week, but I didn't want to say anything until I'd had a proper scan... Delighted to tell you that following a miscarriage in May, we're expecting baby number 2 and I'm due on 8th of March. Same day as Rowan... So place your bets on who will go first ;)

Congrats!!!!

Congrats Debs, that's great news! Being married to a pregnant woman isn't the easiest job in the world, but just remember why they're short with you and annoyed at lots of things. That's what got me through it all.

To be honest, if your other half is pregnant it is your job to have your balls burst on a daily basis. Just shut up and get on with it. I noticed my girlfriend was pretty short with me, especially the final 2 months, you're better off just taking it. Nothing could be worse than to make an issue of it.

Reading id love to do with my son, but he dosnt sit down long enough. His speech however he can say words properly or he just dosnt say them at all.

In his own time he will get there, one does wonder when though lol

We used to have trouble holding Charlie's attention, but it's a learned skill for kids. They're just not built to do it when there's other things going on. Remove all distractions (television, toys and so on), just sit in a quiet room, you, him and the book. Start small. Find a book that will only take a minute or two to read and just build on it from there. Reward him with a big cuddle when you get to the end. We got the whole collection of Thomas The Tank Engine books for Charlie for his birthday. To start with it was a struggle to get to the end of one before he got bored and wandered off. I'm lucky if I get away with just one anymore!

My boy loves books, but only really at bedtime. Too much going on during the day for him to want to sit down. He loves books with flaps (fnarr), books that rhyme, and things he can touch in particular. Bedtime seems to get longer and longer as he wants more and more stories. Stickman is possibly his favouriteat the moment.

After all the vomiting I've been doing, I'm not convinced. This has been a completely different pregnancy so far compared to last time!

Congratulations. Hope it goes well.

My wife barfed herself into hospital on the second pregnancy. Instead of putting weight on, she was losing it. Then the sickness just fucked off all on it's own for no reason whatsoever. She was fine, but my daughter is a bit odd.

My wife barfed herself into hospital on the second pregnancy. Instead of putting weight on, she was losing it. Then the sickness just fucked off all on it's own for no reason whatsoever. She was fine, but my daughter is a bit odd.

laugh.gif

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/100051-pregnancy-and-parenting/page__st__5000

Well a year ago today we were sat up the hospital (little did i know we would still be there two weeks later but thats another story) waiting for an arrival it seems like yesterday but when i think about it its hard to imagine a time without our baby girl. We are gearing up for her wee party on sunday although the thought of a house full of children has me reaching for the vodka i'm more excited about her birthday than any of my own recent ones.

Congrats Reina :cheers

Attemping to build the Cot tonight, should be interesting considering I have the DIY skills of a Hippo.

Just over 7 weeks 'til the due date :)

Edited by Guest

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/100051-pregnancy-and-parenting/page__st__5000

Well a year ago today we were sat up the hospital (little did i know we would still be there two weeks later but thats another story) waiting for an arrival it seems like yesterday but when i think about it its hard to imagine a time without our baby girl. We are gearing up for her wee party on sunday although the thought of a house full of children has me reaching for the vodka i'm more excited about her birthday than any of my own recent ones.

Clicking your link reminds me that a year ago today No 2 son was on his 3rd or 4th night in hospital with breathing problems, albeit by then he appeared fine and was only being kept in based on what the stats were saying. Thank goodness all that nonsense is more or less under control now.

How quickly the last three and a bit years seem to have whizzed past. :)

Well, there's a surprise. smile.gif

I fear for my boys safety at times. He literally runs everywhere, usually squeeling at the same time. Nutter.

What age is he? Grandson nr 5 is at that stage - he's 2. (He's quite good at holding your hand when he's out for a walk, mind you. I just have to mention "walk" and he dashes into the hall, lifts my shoes, charges into the living room and then flaffs about trying to get my slippers off.)

I think it's entirely down to the child in question. Last year, Charlie just ran around, had to leave early, couldn't sit still and it just wasn't an enjoyable experience for anyone. Last week, he had a ball. He'll be 4 in December. If you think your boy will enjoy it and won't be difficult to keep entertained, then go for it. Just be prepared to leave early in case.