Pregnancy And Parenting

Josh was weighed again in Monday, now 20lb3 at 19 weeks. Length and weight are between 50th and 75th percentile, head circumference is on the 99th percentile :lol: He gets that from me.

Niamh's out of 0-3 month hats! Her heads in the 75th percentile and rest of her 25th percentile :lol: She's doing grand now and we're getting lots of smiles, well when I say we, her big brother gets most of them!

My toddler and I have come to an agreement on potty training. He'll get a 'bus' when he stops wearing nappies! A bus being the little tikes coupe car! Bribery and coruption is the way forward! :lol: We're off to my parents tomorrow for a week so will start when we get back. Not sure if we'll use potty or go straight to toilet, I'll see what he's comfortable with. Poor wee soul has molars coming through and he's in a fair bit of pain.

Zak flying at the moment, he's just been weighed for the first time in roughly three weeks! He's gone from 8 pounds ten ounces to 11 pounds four ounces in that time.

What a boy.

He's about 6 weeks isn't he? He's heavier than Niamh and she has three weeks on him! :lol:

He's about 6 weeks isn't he? He's heavier than Niamh and she has three weeks on him! :lol:

Haha. It seems they're both really healthy which is all we care about at the end of the day.

He's seven weeks on monday!

I'd heard they often have a bit of a growth spurt around 6 weeks, but thats some going! His necks getting so strong as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Week 28 in the pub car king pregnancy and all is well the only complaints she has is a bit of heart burn and a sore back. We have 4 boxes of nappies and baby wipes in the garage as the nursery wardrobe is at breaking point.

We're considering potty training... the last week or so, the wee man has been asking for his potty and when he sits on it does a huge wee. Great! Can't wait to get rid of these fecking nappies! :) Bit concerned he might not be quite ready for it, but I suppose there's no harm in trying - we can always go back to nappies if it's not working out. I'm on my summer holidays next Friday so that would be really good timing to start letting him go without a nappy. Wish us luck!

We're considering potty training... the last week or so, the wee man has been asking for his potty and when he sits on it does a huge wee. Great! Can't wait to get rid of these fecking nappies! :) Bit concerned he might not be quite ready for it, but I suppose there's no harm in trying - we can always go back to nappies if it's not working out. I'm on my summer holidays next Friday so that would be really good timing to start letting him go without a nappy. Wish us luck!

Good luck!

What age now? We haven't really started trying anything serious with Thomas yet. He gets sat on the toilet before his bath and asked if he wants a pee-pee but hasn't yet actually done one. I don't think he gets what he's being asked yet.

That can be a dangerous cycle. I know someone who put their child back into nappies every time they had an "accident" (mainly cause she was a lazy cow who just couldnt be bothered) and the child was still not potty trained at almost 4. Of course, Im not saying you would do that, but the stuff we've read suggests that it can send mixed messages and doesnt really help.

We had a few accidents with both ours, but persevered and both came through it really quickly. To be honest, if hes already asking for his potty and using it, then he's probably ready, especially if he asks for it in advance - thats the tricky part, getting them to recognise when they need to go and asking. In the early days, we would regularly remind and ask them if they needed to go, especially if we were out and near a public toilet

Good luck Debs. I'm going on holiday with the lad next week, otherwise we would be starting today, but I think we'd rather he was not being shunted from pillar to post in the first few days of a new routine. He's been showing signs that he is ready, asking us to take his pull-up pants off and such, but he won't go anywhere near his potty, he is terrified of it. We always ask him if he wants a pee before he goes in the bath but he never does, always saving it for the actual bath.

We've also just stopped giving him a bottle at night as well. I noticed when we were down south last week that he was just pushing the bottle away and opting to have a cuddle and then go to bed. He done this four nights on the trot so he has a cup of milk with a story in the living room before going down.

Trying to sort everything for the new arrival as well, but luckily I'm off over the summer so I've plenty of time to get everything prepared.

For us that wasnt to much of an issue, just one night decided he didnt need it and that was that. We have introduced the potty also but all that has happened with it so far is he likes to put it on his head so i guess we are not ready yet.

His cousin was here today and she is 5 months younger and she is fairly chatting away with a fair amount of words. My son on the other hand can say about 4 words.

Been trying different varities of food and not one thing he dosnt like which is awsome. Can eat it himself or wears it depends on how he is.

Its awsome being a dad

My son's the same with the potty! He has started to tell us now and then when he has done a poo, but only after the event.

Girls always seem much more advanced with their vocabularly than boys, so I wouldn't worry.

You're right on another thing: it is great being a dad.

What do people recommend for teething? Wee man has teeth about to come through and he's very grumpy.

Noise cancelling headphones or earplugs :ph34r:

Edited by Swarley

What do people recommend for teething? Wee man has teeth about to come through and he's very grumpy.

Bonjela

Ashton & Parsons powders (I've not personally used them, I've heard some reviews that aren't so favourable and others call it baby crack because they find it that good!)

Calpol if he's really in a lot of pain and the others don't help. Some people would recommend going for the Calpol straight away, but my personal opinion is that I'd rather leave paracetamol as a last resort.

Teething toys, particularly ones you can chill, are soothing as well. Mind and put a bib on him to catch the dribble!

Ruairidh has a total melt down if he doesn't get a nappy on straight away. I was talking to the nursery this morning about it as I'm a bit concerned as to how to move forward. They are suggesting pull ups but I really don't see the point in them :unsure:

He's really wants a Little Tikes Coupe Car, it's the only think I've known him to ask for toy wise so I've ordered one and may use it as bribery :lol:

Reina, maybe Callum can teach him when we come and visit! :lol:

I'm with you, Rowan, I don't like pull-ups either. I don't see how a child is supposed to be able to differentiate between them and a nappy and it's likely to lead to confusion. I'm sure some people get on great with them, but I don't like the idea. I saw a recommendation recently to use them over proper pants so that "they feel wet, but you don't have to clean up the mess". That's some lazy-arse parenting right there!

There is no harm whatsoever in bribery if it gets them to sit on the potty in the first place. If it takes away the anxiety of sitting on it, I don't see any harm.