Pregnancy And Parenting

Calamine lotion we are using, i have a few spots on me today which are a bit unusual. Ive never had chicken pox either. The spots however are nothing like what my son has

Chicken Pox normally appears on the chest/back area first (although it doesn't have to) and looks like blisters. The incubation period can be up to two weeks (though normally a not quite as long as that), meaning that it can be a fortnight after "catching" it that the spots appear, so if you've never had it before, well, you have now! They make Piriton for adults as well though. If Calamine lotion is working ok for him, don't bother with the Piriton. There's little sense in using anything more than you really need to.

By the way, I wasn't totally serious when I said you have it too. You might not get it, but then you might. You'll just have to wait and see. Exciting, eh?

Edited by Mrs M

Especially that im on holiday :(

How do you know the lotion is "working" we have put it on him 2 times today, this morning and just when he woke up from his afternoon nap. Seems none the wiser but only day 1,

Calamine soothes skin and will dry out the blisters, so if he's not scratching, doesn't seem irritated and is happy, I wouldn't worry too much. If it's the first day though, be prepared for him to start feeling more poorly.

Here's the NHS page on Chicken Pox. It tells you the people you'll need to keep him away from while he's contagious, although don't be surprised if you find other mum's turning up at your house wanting him to pass it on to their kids!

For pregnant women i presume this will be pregnant women who are further on as in 12-20 weeks? Or could this affect anyone who is early on?

I read its 20 weeks on from this but why?

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1109.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=137

From the same page:

Complications for the unborn baby

Complications that can affect the unborn baby vary, depending on how many weeks pregnant you are when you get chickenpox.

If you catch chickenpox up to 28 weeks of pregnancy, there’s no evidence that it increases your risk of miscarriage. However, there’s a small risk that the baby can develop foetal varicella syndrome (FVS). FVS can damage the baby’s eyes, legs, arms, brain, bladder or bowel. Research has shown that FVS can affect one to two in every 100 babies (1-2%).

If you catch chickenpox between 28 and 36 weeks, the virus stays in the baby's body but doesn’t cause any symptoms. However, it may become active again in the first few years of the baby’s life, when it causes shingles.

If you catch chickenpox after 36 weeks, the baby may be infected and could be born with chickenpox.

It also says that risks are increased after 20 weeks, so it's best avoided at any stage of pregnancy.

I never got to that stage :(:lol:

It's a stressful time. I never went to any parenthood classes, I asked a midwife and she said if you knwo how to change a nappy and not to kick the baby across the room there isn't much point going.

And I have one piece of advice for expectant mums.

Take the epidural

I'd like to retract this advice. I never had one the second time round and it was a much better experience for it!

I'd like to retract this advice. I never had one the second time round and it was a much better experience for it!

The thought of an epidural is the only thing that's getting me through my birth terror just now!!

I wish people would stop telling me horror stories :(

The thought of an epidural is the only thing that's getting me through my birth terror just now!!

I wish people would stop telling me horror stories :(

Stop listening to them. I know it's hard but as soon as someone starts to tell you a horror story just tell them to stop. It's no wonder women are scared shit less about pregnancy when all you ever hear about is the 24 hour labours, babies coming out sideways, weighing a stone!

Swarley's right. A lot of people exaggerate their birth stories. They like to say "Oh, look what I went through, it was horrendous and far worse than anything you'll ever experience, ever", but it's totally pointless. Everyone experiences it in their own way, some people have a harder time than others. If you don't want to hear it, tell them firmly that you don't want to hear it because it frightens you. Only a total arsehole would carry on and spill all the details after that.

I agree with the above. My second time was great, midwives said I was one of the most laid back mum's they'd seen. First time round I needed the epidural as I'd run out of energy.

I agree with the above. My second time was great, midwives said I was one of the most laid back mum's they'd seen. First time round I needed the epidural as I'd run out of energy.

It's mostly work collegues so I've been letting it slip for fear of being labelled "hormonal" by the guys in here! I've already had one of them make out I was a nutter when I shouted at him for poking at my bump without permission :(

It's mostly work collegues so I've been letting it slip for fear of being labelled "hormonal" by the guys in here! I've already had one of them make out I was a nutter when I shouted at him for poking at my bump without permission :(

I hate people like that! It's your belly, your body, your skin. Would he go and touch your arse without asking? No, he wouldn't and there's no difference. It's bugger all to do with hormones at all. What an arse!

We asked my brother in law politely to stop touching my bump. They're still not talking to us :blink: Tell him to f**k off

We asked my brother in law politely to stop touching my bump. They're still not talking to us :blink: Tell him to f**k off

When my friend was pregnant it was the opposite. She kept grabbing my hand and putting it on her bump.

Made me feel VERY uncomfortable!!

Report him to HR and get him fired. Then see who the nutter is.

As for the fear of birth thing - remember one thing. Its all about the breathing ;)

With all due respect to any pregnant lady I have no idea why anyone would WANT to poke it!

<snigger>