Pregnancy And Parenting

2 weeks until the due date all is well but very mixed feelings looking forward to meeting the wee one but also enjoying it being just the two of us

That's how I'm feeling this time round. I know what to expect this time (obviously) so know how difficult it's going to be, not just with a new born but with Charlie as well who is not yet 3. Still, I'm sure it will be ace. Sleepless nights are just the best. :rolleyes:

First day at nursery for the wee man today. They said he was fine - well, we'll see how they get on when he's in a bad mood! Hopefully all the stories I've heard about kids being ill 50% of the time with stuff they've caught at nursery are wide of the mark... :unsure:

That's how I'm feeling this time round. I know what to expect this time (obviously) so know how difficult it's going to be, not just with a new born but with Charlie as well who is not yet 3. Still, I'm sure it will be ace. Sleepless nights are just the best. :rolleyes:

Hopefully Charlie will take to his sibling as well as Ruairidh has taken to Niamh! Niamh gets so excited when he's around, I do think she misses him when he's at nursery!

First day at nursery for the wee man today. They said he was fine - well, we'll see how they get on when he's in a bad mood! Hopefully all the stories I've heard about kids being ill 50% of the time with stuff they've caught at nursery are wide of the mark... :unsure:

Dreep at the end of his nose November to March!

The thing I'm most concerned about is the nursery telling us we need to take him home because he's ill. Well, the reason he's at the nursery is because neither of his parents are available to look after him. If they try any of that shite with us, I'll be demanding a refund for the time he's not there, at the very least.

The thing I'm most concerned about is the nursery telling us we need to take him home because he's ill. Well, the reason he's at the nursery is because neither of his parents are available to look after him. If they try any of that shite with us, I'll be demanding a refund for the time he's not there, at the very least.

They have a responsibility to the other kids as well and you can't expect the nursery to care for him when he's not well. If he has a stomach bug for example and ends up with diarrhoea, do you know that you will need to have him home for 48 hours after the last episode? It's not because they can't be bothered with it, it's because they want to prevent other children catching it. There is nothing more annoying than your child coming home with an illness or something like headlice because parents just send their kids off to nursery, the childminder or school rather than deal with it themselves. It's incredibly annoying on top of being really quite cruel to other kids. Nurseries aren't for sick children. Besides, who do you think he's going to want when he's unwell? A nursery worker, or Mummy and Daddy?

They have a responsibility to the other kids as well and you can't expect the nursery to care for him when he's not well. If he has a stomach bug for example and ends up with diarrhoea, do you know that you will need to have him home for 48 hours after the last episode? It's not because they can't be bothered with it, it's because they want to prevent other children catching it. There is nothing more annoying than your child coming home with an illness or something like headlice because parents just send their kids off to nursery, the childminder or school rather than deal with it themselves. It's incredibly annoying on top of being really quite cruel to other kids. Nurseries aren't for sick children. Besides, who do you think he's going to want when he's unwell? A nursery worker, or Mummy and Daddy?

Telt.

Well said. Lets bung the kid to nursery while we go work but if something happens to our kid please dont bother us!! Surely there job would be understanding that they have to go home to be with there kids?

Legally, they have no choice but to give you time off in those circumstances. Theyre not obliged to pay you for it, but most decent employers would.

edited to add - technically, they only have to give you time off to sort out alternative child care arrangements. But it would be incredibly pedantic to not let you have time off if you were the only alternative

Edited by Mr X

We seem to have a breakthrough on the potty training front. Even helped take his nappies to Grampa's car to go to the faries (will get them back when Niamh grows into them!). Our normally quiet street had three lots of neighbours and some of the local kids out as we all looked liked chumps waving the nappies off :lol: One of our neighbours did join in though!

Edited by Rowan

You've missed the point, although to be fair, that's probably because I didn't explain it well enough in the first place. If my child has diarrhoea, as in your example, I've no problem being called to take him home. I wouldn't want him to infect the other kids, and I wouldn't want my son to be infected with an illness from another child. So on that point I completely agree with you.

My issue is with nurseries telling parents their child is ill just because they're being difficult or crying a lot. This is either because they genuinely (but mistakenly) think the child is ill, or know they're not ill and just can't be bothered looking after them when they're being difficult. This hasn't happened to me personally yet, but I have heard other parents telling me this has happened to them.

If it's the nursery's judgement that the child is ill and needs to be removed from the nursery, they should be giving a refund for the time the child isn't there. It's already very difficult being a working parent, without losing time and money because of illnesses invented by a nursery. That's time and money I can't really afford to lose, since there I'm the only one bringing in an income (my wife is a student so is neither available to look after Callum nor receives any income).

Legally, they have no choice but to give you time off in those circumstances. Theyre not obliged to pay you for it, but most decent employers would.

edited to add - technically, they only have to give you time off to sort out alternative child care arrangements. But it would be incredibly pedantic to not let you have time off if you were the only alternative

Well, exactly. Employers aren't obliged to pay you, and how can you sort out alternative childcare arrangements if the child is deemed too ill to be looked after with other children? My own employer is fairly reasonable, and I'm sure that if I occasionally (once every few months, say) need to take time off to take my child home from nursery, that won't be a problem. But what if it happens every couple of weeks, like I have heard of in one case? My pay would certainly be docked.

You've missed the point, although to be fair, that's probably because I didn't explain it well enough in the first place. If my child has diarrhoea, as in your example, I've no problem being called to take him home. I wouldn't want him to infect the other kids, and I wouldn't want my son to be infected with an illness from another child. So on that point I completely agree with you.

My issue is with nurseries telling parents their child is ill just because they're being difficult or crying a lot. This is either because they genuinely (but mistakenly) think the child is ill, or know they're not ill and just can't be bothered looking after them when they're being difficult. This hasn't happened to me personally yet, but I have heard other parents telling me this has happened to them.

If it's the nursery's judgement that the child is ill and needs to be removed from the nursery, they should be giving a refund for the time the child isn't there. It's already very difficult being a working parent, without losing time and money because of illnesses invented by a nursery. That's time and money I can't really afford to lose, since there I'm the only one bringing in an income (my wife is a student so is neither available to look after Callum nor receives any income).

Well, exactly. Employers aren't obliged to pay you, and how can you sort out alternative childcare arrangements if the child is deemed too ill to be looked after with other children? My own employer is fairly reasonable, and I'm sure that if I occasionally (once every few months, say) need to take time off to take my child home from nursery, that won't be a problem. But what if it happens every couple of weeks, like I have heard of in one case? My pay would certainly be docked.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I have to say, that's never been an experience I've ever come across and if I did, I'd completely agree with you on that part. I'd be incredibly pissed off if I had to miss lectures or lab sessions because the nursery just couldn't be arsed and the same goes for my husband (either one of us missing a lecture means missing an awful lot of important information). I know Charlie has days where he has been rather difficult because they always tell us what he's done while he's been there and he has a daily sheet that reports everything, right down to how many dirty nappies he's had! If you do ever find yourself in that position though, there are places you can complain to. I think it's the Care Commission that oversee private nurseries, and you should quite rightly expect a refund if that is the case. Bear in mind though that you know your child and you will know if he's being difficult or if he's actually ill, but it will take time for the nursery to get to know him. What they should do is ask if there's anything that they need to know about him, such as if there's anything that particularly upsets him, if he has time of the day where he's a bit more difficult, daytime naps and that kind of thing, which should help to establish whether he is just grumpy and tired or if there's something else wrong.

Charlie was off several times in his first few months of nursery, and it really can't be helped. I think most employers do realise that when small children start mixing with other small children they do tend to share everything with each other and they're usually very understanding in those circumstances.

No reputable nursery would act like that. If it is happening to people you know they should change their nursery.

Spot on, find it hard to believe if nurserys were really like this ( or certain ones are) they would still be open for business

I don't. There are shoddy nurseries just like there are shoddy old folk's homes. The Care Commission can only do so much on an odd inspection. Nurseries in some places are like gold dust so other kids will come in as soon as some leave. Hell there are several recent cases of children being sexually abused in nurseries. They're not some sort of magic always brilliant for kids in their care place.

Never the less, fact remains if a nursery is acting like that then find another one.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I have to say, that's never been an experience I've ever come across and if I did, I'd completely agree with you on that part. I'd be incredibly pissed off if I had to miss lectures or lab sessions because the nursery just couldn't be arsed and the same goes for my husband (either one of us missing a lecture means missing an awful lot of important information). I know Charlie has days where he has been rather difficult because they always tell us what he's done while he's been there and he has a daily sheet that reports everything, right down to how many dirty nappies he's had! If you do ever find yourself in that position though, there are places you can complain to. I think it's the Care Commission that oversee private nurseries, and you should quite rightly expect a refund if that is the case. Bear in mind though that you know your child and you will know if he's being difficult or if he's actually ill, but it will take time for the nursery to get to know him. What they should do is ask if there's anything that they need to know about him, such as if there's anything that particularly upsets him, if he has time of the day where he's a bit more difficult, daytime naps and that kind of thing, which should help to establish whether he is just grumpy and tired or if there's something else wrong.

Charlie was off several times in his first few months of nursery, and it really can't be helped. I think most employers do realise that when small children start mixing with other small children they do tend to share everything with each other and they're usually very understanding in those circumstances.

Thanks - that's some helpful advice. I'm probably over-reacting to comments made by some very frustrated parents, but the consensus on here seems to be that it's not as bad as I've heard.

No reputable nursery would act like that. If it is happening to people you know they should change their nursery.

One of the nurseries is very reputable and has some the best care commission reports in the area.

Of course, it's very difficult even for parents to tell the difference between genuine illness, a bad day for the child that the nursery have misinterpreted as illness, and the nursery making up an illness to get rid of a difficult child for a day or two. And there will be grey areas between the three.

I've had it myself where I've made the decision not to send my child to nursery or school because he just didn't seem quite right that day and then regretted that decision within the hour. It happens to us all! I'd like to say it gets easier with experience, but we all make mistakes whether we're on our first or tenth! As long as your son is otherwise fit and healthy, all that will happen is he will get ill a few times, it will seem like a complete paiin in the bum until you realise that you get to spend a legitimate day off work looking after him and getting some of the best cuddles you will ever get while his immune system gets stronger each time. Before you know it, he'll hardly ever be sick again!

So after nearly a year of various methods, tears etc in the end he decided in his own time to potty train. We needed to get another sample for the doctor the other afternoon and he decided that he wasn't going back into nappies! Going not too bad. More in potty than on floor!

Health visitor out yessterday and she's concerned about Niamh's skin so I've to raise it with the peadiatricain this week.