Pregnancy And Parenting

She's well used to the water and loves getting it splashed in her face in the baths big time. She's even started putting her face into in the water It was really the nitty gritty of the swimming I was thinking about.

As has already been posted, get her started, (most) babies love water, (after they've got used to it!), and perhaps floating about in a swimming pool/bath etc reminds them of the womb?

She's well used to the water and loves getting it splashed in her face in the baths big time. She's even started putting her face into in the water It was really the nitty gritty of the swimming I was thinking about.

The link I posted says they dont have the strength and co-ordination o swim properly (front crawl, breast stroke etc) until between 3 and 4 years old.

There is a big difference between the bath and the pool when they cant touch the bottom.

Jack gets absolutely zonked when he has been in the pool after he is dried off and dressed he is out for the count

Same with ours. She loves the pool and is knackered after it.

I'll give the water babies thingy a try to see if they're any good.

I tried to get Jack and was told I should have put his name on the waiting list when my wife was pregnant and I have to wait for an existing course to disband before a beginners course starts.

Both of ours went to the pool regularly from when they were small babies. Neither started swimming lessons until they were 4 though.

Thomas has been going to Rainbow swimming classes since he was about 18 months. He usually likes it though sometimes he doesn't want to do anything when he gets there.

Steven started on them recently but really didn't want to be there, not helped by the fact he was the youngest in the group by miles, and kicked off big time on two out of three lessons before they decided in conjunction with my wife that he wasn't ready for it yet and refunded his fees. We'll maybe try him again in six months or so.

I think they start actual swimming lessons here when they're 4. The boy has been 'swimming' almost every week since he was 8 weeks and loves pools where he can touch the bottom, but goes mental if he can't and wont let go of me. It's getting quite annoying now...

Not a good week for accident and illness. Callum saw fit to head-butt the radiator on Monday, and almost immediately his forehead swelled up to the size of an egg (probably an exaggeration but it was huge). It was the first time I'd totally panicked but eventually got him down to A+E, where they said he was fine, apart from the egg sized lump.

Then on Thursday morning we got him up in the morning to fine he'd vomited all over his cot. Today I got a call from the nursery to say I needed to collect him as he'd had 3 loose nappies in quick succession. I'd just got home and lifted him out of the car seat when he promptly vomited all over me. After 3 more bouts of diarrhoea he seemed to be getting back to normal and vomited all over my wife and the carpet.

The last time he had diarrhoea and vomiting he passed it on to us and we got it much worse. It's shaping up to be a very messy weekend.

Edited by Gnash

Another poorly child here. Adam picked Charlie up from the nursery today to find out that he'd had a sleep while he was there. Charlie gave up his regular afternoon nap almost two years ago. He's had the occasional nap since, but it's only when he's been up half the night or he's not well. Once he got home, he sat on the sofa and didnt move. He didn't want any dinner, he even refused a Dairylea cheese strip and he's been known to go and sneak them out of the fridge at 5am. He didn't want a drink, he said he was "too sad" for a cuddle. He's got one bright red cheek and he's really warm. His breath smells very strange, exactly like my eldest did whenever he had tonsilitis. He ended up having a lie down on our bed with the telly on for an hour. Most days he couldn't sit still to save himself. He perked up a bit after a dose of Calpol, just enough to have a small bowl of soup but then returned to the sofa and then asked to go to bed at 7. I really hope it's not as serious as tonsilitis, but we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

After being released, nr 11 went back to hospital and is currently on a drip. It's a "virus" of course. 4 babies/children waiting for beds and they took him because he was the most seriously ill! ohmy.gif (Despite being in and then released.)

Similar, although in reverse, to when nr 9 was released from the premature baby unit as he was the most far advanced to free up a bed for another (very) premature baby.

Guest The Phoenix

My wee brother, who is 2, told my dad to 'f**k off' yesterday. I was desperate to laugh but I didn't want him to encourage him. It was hilarious, though.

My 23 year old son still does that. :(

I try to laugh. :D

Lot's of not very well wee ones on here - get well soon everyone.

He's home again! We'll see how long this stay lasts, he's eaten nothing this last 3 days, and the only way to get liquids into him is force them into his mouth, then he'll swallow, but he's not looking for drinks.

He's a lot brighter today, although he's not himself yet. In my opinion if he had been kept in hospital the first time he went he would be back to normal now, as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if he has another relapse.

The NHS is obviously under tremendous pressure for bed space, but horsing people, particularly children, in and out of hospital only exacerbates the bed pressure. "Most sick" admitted, "least sick" rather than "recovered" discharged is a recipe for disaster.

There was a bit of a contretemps at the hospital the last time he was admitted, as the parents of another quite ill, but not as seriously ill, child felt their child should have been admitted as well, naturally enough on their part. I understand they were told in no uncertain terms they would have to wait their turn - which was probably logical, but not very tactful.

The GP has been very good in all this, the problem lies with the hospital, or more accurately, those who have decided to close hospitals willy nilly, while failing to equip Antrim to cope with the extra patients - bed wise, nurse wise and doctor wise.